“Beautiful garden, worth a quiet walk”
Review of Kenrokuen Garden

and up
Private Kanazawa Custom Day Tour by Chartered Vehicle
Ranked #1 of 209 things to do in Kanazawa
More attraction details
Owner description: This beautiful park contains one of the top three celebrated gardens in Japan. The name Kenrokuen literally translates to “garden combining six”, referring to the six attributes all gardens should have: seclusion, antiquity, spaciousness, human ingenuity, water and scenic views.
Washington, DC
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Beautiful garden, worth a quiet walk”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We really loved walking through this garden. It's quite large, beautiful, and peaceful. Our daughter loved running around the paths and looking at the water fountains, shaped bushes, and trees.

Visited September 2012

Asheville, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Must see.”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I must admit that I didn't expect much and didn't read up on it. To me, a garden is a garden is a garden but this is definitely worth a visit. The attention to detail is typical of the Japanese and this garden is just a splendid example. Kanazawa as a whole is a wonderful place.

1 Thank Dt1612
Australia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Beautiful garden”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Kenrkuen is a beautiful Japanese garden. I must have snapped over 100 photos when I visited in winter of 2012. Well worth visiting, even in the cold!

Visited March 2012
Sterling, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I loved this garden. It was large and varied and just as I thought a traditional Japanese garden would be.

Visited June 2012
ontario
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Simply sublime”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We arrived at the garden first thing in the morning and I was in heaven. THIS was what I had come to Japan to see (at least it was at the top of my list). At first I was disappointed that we were seeing it in the rain, but soon changed my mind. The light drizzle actually seemed to intensify the colours of the leaves just beginning their fall show. The ever changing views are wonderful (don't forget to occasionally turn around to see a particular spot from a different angle). The combinations of trees, rocks, shrubs, moss and water are ever changing And so meticulously maintained.

We watched as workers carefully swept the moss carpets with brooms and rakes, and others up on ladders pruning the pine trees. I can't imagine the number of hours of labour per year required to care for this priceless garden.

Whether you're an avid gardener or not- make a point of spending at least a few hours in this truly memorable place.

Visited October 2012