“Highly recommended!”
Review of Guest House Pongyi

Guest House Pongyi
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

I only stayed at Pongyi for one night. But it was easily the most memorable and enjoyable stay during my entire trip in Japan. The staff, Yu and Maru were very helpful and friendly. They made me feel at home during my short stay in Kanazawa.

They told me that the guesthouse used to be a kimono shop for a long time before turned into Pongyi Guesthouse.

I stayed in the female dorm - which has four beds in it. It was small but very comfortable and very clean.

They taught me how to make paper cranes and taught me some useful Japanese phrases too.

I came in too early before the check in time, but the owner kindly offered to keep my luggage in the store room and he even showed me the short cut to the city centre.

The place is super convenient and easy to find. It's only a 5 min walk from the Kanazawa JR station.

I highly recommend this place if you are looking for an affordable, comfortable and clean accommodation in Kanazawa.

There are newer reviews for Guest House Pongyi

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I only stayed for two nights, but the experience I got at Pongyi guesthouse was terrific. Maru and You are very welcoming and friendly. I was provided with green tea while I was there and was even taught how to make origami cranes the first night I was there. The facilities are very clean and the location is about 5 minutes away from Kanazawa station. The beds are incredibly comfy and I was even provided another blanket for an especially cold night! I was also given very good recommendations for places to eat within Kanazawa and places to see.

I would recommend this hostel to anyone looking to stay in Kanazawa. I stayed in a dorm style room and it worked out great! Thank you again for a great experience, Pongyi!

**I accidentally put a rating for a swimming pool. There is no swimming pool, but I can't undo the rating!**

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed the Pongyi for two days , we are very enjoyable which seem to be visit your friend home . I highly recommend Pongyi if you feel share bathroom & totiel is not your problem. There are two young ladies who are very cheerful and helpful! I will stay Pongyi if I go Kanazawa again!

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Staying at Guesthouse Pongyi was one of the highlights of my trip to Kanazawa; the owners are super friendly and welcoming, the hostel is cute and comfy, the location is good--and it really felt like a home away from home.
The owners were so helpful, too. They suggested a lot of sightseeing spots and activities around Kanazawa, and even rang up to book classes, tours, etc. for us. One night they also organised a hot-pot party for all of us!
If you want a great Kanazawa experience, definitely stay at guesthouse Pongyi!

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stay a very short time, but really enjoy it. Pongyi is very friendly and kind. It was the first time in a traditional Japanese house and with a Kotatsu!! Also, we learned lot of things and met excellent people included all the staff. Definitely a place to come back and spend more time. Highly recommended!
thank to the staff for all! XD

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We had a great stay here. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. We were able to eat a traditional style Japanese meal cooked by the guesthouse, which was a great experience. My only criticism of Pongyi's is perhaps the shower - it is located at the end of the kitchen which made access at night hard.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This place is a wonderfully warm and welcoming place, with really lovely staff that go out of their way to make your stay pleasant and enjoyable. They provided a map of the different key places to visit, helping with the planning of the itinerary. When i came back from my day of visiting around, we (some staff members, and other travellers) sat down around the kotatsu (a traditional japanese table with a blanket on top) and talked with each other whilst eating delicious snacks and drinking tea and coffee. Afterwards we learnt how to make Origami as the lovely staff of Pongyi taught us how to make a crane out of patterned paper. I personally really enjoyed my stay at GuestHouse Pongyi and really liked the staff a lot. I am thinking of going there again the next time i visit Japan. Thank you very much beautiful staff of Guest House Pongyi!!! From Bibiann.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo