21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art

Israel

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Kanazawa
from $78.60
More Info
All reviews swimming pool permanent exhibits anish kapoor special exhibit museum of contemporary art amazing building gift shop school children entry fee great architecture worth a visit rainy day couple of hours kanazawa castle installation leandro sanaa
Reviewed yesterday

Just arrived to Japan & the tour dropped by here. It's a nice little stop. Interesting displays. No need to spend too much time here. Very little signs though regarding the displays.

Reviewed 3 days ago via mobile

I really like the selection of artists, especially the works of Qiu Zhijie. In fact, my rating is mostly thanks to his artworks. The swimming pool exhibit is currently under maintenance above ground but you can still take pictures from below. That said, that is the only artwork you can take pictures of. Lockers are free and require a 100 yen coin to operate but you get it back. It’s 1000 yen for entry or 800 yen if you can show a Honkotsu all day bus pass.

Reviewed 6 days ago via mobile

Mediocre art in a mediocre building. Stick to the castle and gardens. The lines are long and English descriptions are minimal

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

My God what a amazing museum
If you are a interested in contemporary art this place its perfect
I really,really enjoied this place.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I had high expectations for this museum, but I was very disappointed for a few reasons:
-poor organisation for ticket purchasing. I got there when it opened and waited longer to buy a ticket than it took to look at their exhibits. Maybe they need signage about the ticket options?
-no air conditioning in the main entrance - an issue when it’s sunny and you’re in a glass building.
- no bags: they claim as long as your bag is smaller than specified measurements you can take it in but yet I was forced to put my bag in a locker (even though mine was smaller). This wasn’t consistent as I pointed out other visitors who were allowed bags double the size of mine.
-some of the exhibits were a questionable interpretation of 21st century/modern/contemporary art (some would have fit in with history displays and many seemed to focusing on issues in the 20th century).

Lovely building in a good location however.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Whilst this is an interesting building with some interesting works (especially the pool) that you can see for free it was not a must-see attraction. There was very little signage in English so we had no idea what the paid exhibitions were about. We did stop for a coffee at the cafe and a browse around the shop. The museum is a stop on the loop bus so if you're using the bus then it's worth a look.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

An interesting museum is worth a visit, you can also visit only the museum garden where there are interesting and original sculptures and galleries open to the public at no cost!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We did not visit the museum as it was closed for the day. Instead we went to some art and craft shops, lacqueware, pottery, textiles, jewelry.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A group of 3 couples visited this attractive museum and were disappointed with our experience. There was virtually no signage in English or anyone who could speak English even though it was extensively advertised in this language. We asked repeatedly for someone to help direct us in English without success.

We paid the two young women in the 1st floor entrance gallery 1200 yen apiece (over $12 each) for what we thought was entrance and found it was for their special exhibit. When we asked about the permanent exhibits we were told with great difficulty that we had to go downstairs and eventually found another admissions desk where they indicated that we had to pay additional amounts and stand in a long line before gaining entrance to their show on Japanese Art from 1980 on. By this time we were running out of time and could only walk through the few open rooms.

This was a waste of close to a $100 and an exercise in frustration!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Permanent exhibits, temporary expositions, anyway, all worth! I loved the pool, the Kapoor 'hole', and many of the exhibited works. Enjoy the building, the neighborhood (the Castle, the Noh Museum), and don't forget to stroll in the garden of the museum with some interesting artifacts.