“Favorite place to stay in Japan”
Review of Sumiyoshiya

Sumiyoshiya
Ranked #10 of 103 Hotels / Ryokan in Kanazawa
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I loved staying a Sumiyoshiya. The room was beautiful and comfortable, looked out on a lovely garden. The staff was very welcoming and helpful. We had the Japanese dinner. It was varied and delicious--the dishes kept coming. The western breakfast was good. We had a room with a toilet but used the common bath which was very relaxing. The location was good for sightseeing. We stayed at 5 places during a 2 week visit to Japan including 3 ryokans. Sumiyoshiya was my favorite place of the places where we stayed.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Dodie L
sumiyoshiya, お客様担当マネージャー at Sumiyoshiya, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2012

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed Ryokan.
And I was helped by your excellent Japanese !

Kanazawa city is quiet and small city.
However, lush and green, and there's plenty of great food.

Mie Sumi.

There are newer reviews for Sumiyoshiya

Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed one night at Sumiyoshiya. We wished we could have stayed longer. The ryokan is located within easy walking distance of many of Kanazawa's main attractions. Upon arrival, we were given pastries and a big thermos of hot tea--the tea was still piping hot when we returned from sightseeing several hours later. Our room had a private sink and toilet and was perfectly quiet (unless you count the raging thunderstorm/snowstorm that was occurring that night!) The beds were wonderfully comfortable and we both got an excellent night's sleep. I loved the Japanese bath! SOOOO relaxing! And dinner was amazing! It was crab season in Kanazawa (the market was full of crab), and our multi course dinner included a generous serving of cracked crab to be dipped in a little rice vinegar--something that I will definitely try at home. Other types of seafood were also part of the delicious meal--sashimi, ikura, etc. We also opted for the very generous Japanese breakfast, which included grilled salmon, a marinated fried tofu cake, an egg, yummy pickles, etc. The staff is friendly and very helpful. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
sumiyoshiya, お客様担当マネージャー at Sumiyoshiya, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed Ryokan.
Except for the raging thunderstorm and snowstorm,Kanazawa is good place to eat seafood !

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed here for two nights - Sept 14th and 15th, 2012 and I totally loved it!!!
It is strategically located; right in the middle of the town. All main tourist attractions are within walking distance. Omi cho market is steps away. Food at omi cho is reasonably priced. Have breakfast or lunch here, everything I tried was delicious!

I've always wanted to stay in a ryokan, but had found them to be out of my budget, but Sumiyoshiya has a reasonable price tag for a luxurious stay and services. The hostess was kind and went out of her way to help me. The bed was heavenly, the sheets were made of really comfy material, hot bath was amazing, everything was spotlessly clean and neat, I really can't find faults.

It is one of the oldest ryokan, and it certainly offer an authentic Japanese experience to the guests. I highly recommend.

I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
sumiyoshiya, お客様担当マネージャー at Sumiyoshiya, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2012

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed Ryokan.
In Japan has much ryokan,they provide reasonable prices.
Please try to stay at ryokan next time !

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Thank goodness that I found this place on Trip Advisor! I travelled to Japan for a few weeks in June/July and I wanted to try a few different types of accommodation, even though I was on a budget. Sumiyoshiya had such good reviews on here that I really wanted to try it so that I could sample a ryokan without breaking the bank.

And II was not at all disappointed! Kanazawa itself is a beautiful city, and easily the most actively welcome to tourists of all kinds (including a clear effort to accommodate disabled visitors) of all the places I visited. After calling in at the Tourist Information desk at the train station (there was an English speaking Goodwill Guide on duty), I was told that any cab driver would know where Sumiyoshiya was, and that it was not very far. Accordingly, I decided to get a cab and indeed the tourist information office were right! It's only a few minutes by cab, though the ryokan is also very close to a number of bus stops.

Initially, Sumiyoshiya does seem to be in an odd location, but actually once you have gotten to grips with the geography of Kanazawa, it's a GREAT location, Kenrokuen and the castle are easily walkable; the circle bus stops at the end of the road; it's on the same street as one side of Omi-Cho market; and it's also close to one of the main shopping malls, which has a great food court among other things. You can, in fact, walk to the station, but if you have bags and have never been there before, I strongly recommend a cab or a bus. Cabs are NOT pricey and buses are marked in both romaji and hiragana. I am sure that the train station Tourist Information office would point you to the correct one.

I arrived a lot earlier than I intended but was warmly welcomed anyway. My room was already prepared so I could drop off my luggage and have a cup of tea with a very cheerful lady who I guessed to be the mother of the current owner. The building is old, but clearly well loved and well maintained - even though I arrived early the floors were all polished and the front of the property perfectly tidy. I never saw a thing out of place in the three nights I stayed, despite being in and out sometimes during the day to change or freshen up.

I opted for a room with a private toilet/sink but no bath, I was impressed by the size of the room and really liked the large windows out into the small courtyard garden - plenty of light and it meant that I could air the room out in the mornings. Being a ryokan, it is of course furnished with tatami matting, and slippers are provided at the main door if you want them. My room was very clean and tidy, and I was provided with an information sheet, a toothbrush and paste, small towel, yukata and obi. In the evenings, a thermos of oolong tea was provided, and was very welcome.

I used the communal ladies' bathroom every day while I was there and, like all the communal areas in Sumiyoshiya, it was spotless. The bath in particular is a fantastic way to ease aching feet and limbs after a day of hiking round Kanazawa's many sights and the bathrooms are open twice a day,in the mornings and evenings. There is shampoo and body wash provided.

Wifi Internet is available throughout the building, and I found it both fast and reliable. There is also a washing machine and tumble drier available for guests to use, along with a choice of detergents.

I only had one meal at Sumiyoshiya due to my schedule - it was a breakfast and it was lovely. You can order breakfast each day for the next morning and there is a choice of Western or Japanese (I had Japanese). If I go back I will certainly try dinner too!

Service during my entire stay was superb, and the manageress in particular has excellent English skills and is a great source of information and directions about the area. She helped me out when I found that I had left my iPhone cable at my previous hotel, and arranged for it to be delivered overnight. I can't day enough good things about the staff in general - they were all friendly, helpful and cheerful at all times. In fact, I owe them an email with some photographs now that I am able to download pictures from the iPhone again!

I would recommend Sumiyoshiya to any single female travellers because of its location, staff and rooms. But I think it would be equally nice for families or couples. I'd choose it above any of the standard hotels for a stay iin Kanazawa - it's a very historic city and I think Sumiyoshiya provides the perfect accommodation to experience it from.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank KingMobUK

and thanks for the compliment.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed at Kanazawa.

Kanazawa city has Goodwill Guide (English speaking), they will guide with you at Kanazawa , fee is free.
Please, use next time !

Our ryokan is little bit slightly displaced from station.
However, It is convenient that our ryokan close to Kenrokuen garden and Omi-cho Market.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

+ Clost to Kenruko-en
+ Very clean
+ Excellent Shared bathroom facilities
+ Very friendly owners
+ Quiet and comfortable bedrooms
+ Excellent value

This Ryokan was excellent. My brother and I visited Kanazawa for one day and stayed in the Sumiyoshiya. They were very accomodating to arrange two seperate rooms for us, even though we had only been able to book one online, as being brother and sister we were reluctant to share. The rooms were both an excellent price. Both the rooms were very spacious and clean. I was very impressed with the cleanliness of this Ryokan, and the facilities provided. We have stayed in a few Ryokan during our trip to Japan, and this one by far was the best. I was also very impressed with how quiet the rooms were. We were over looking the road outside which meant we did hear a few cars, but nothing of significant noise to wake us. Some of the Ryokan's we have stayed in have had very thin walls, and creaky floor boards in the main corridors meaning we could hear guests and staff throughout the night. However, this Ryokan was so quiet even though there were other guest staying, which was due to the layout of the entrance to each room. I was also very impressed with the bathroom facilities, these were exceptionally clean, well designed and luxurious, Yes they are shared, but most Ryokan's do have shared bathrooms. In addition we were given a leaving gift which was lovely. The owners were very welcoming and friendly. The Ryokan is also very close to the sites. We did struggle to locate the Ryokan as it wasn't in either of the Rough Guide or Lonely planet book, and the tourist office at the station directed us the wrong way. However, at the tourist information office there is a helpful newspaper in english which had a map of Kanazawa and the Ryokan's, it was called something similar to eye on Kanazawa. We didn't try the food here as we ate out. In addition we didn't have private toilet facilities which some of the reviews have mentioned, however as mentioned the bathroom facilities were exceptional, and these were the cleanest I have seen in Japan. I highly recommend staying at this Ryokan, it was one of the highlights of our trip!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Melanie H
sumiyoshiya, お客様担当マネージャー at Sumiyoshiya, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2012

Thank you for your staying.
Thank you for the compliment.
Certainly,our ryokan is old building.
However, we try to keep our guest room and public space environment clean.

It was pleasure to host you and your brother at Sumiyoshiya ryokan.
We are looking foward to seeing you again !

Reviewed June 5, 2012

Kanazawa is a pleasant "castle-town" a bit off the 'Western' tourist track in Japan, the site of one of Japan's most evocative gardens. My wife and I lived in Japan for seven years a few decades ago, and returned for a several week 'nostalgia visit' in May 2012. We were 'hooked' by the consistently high ratings awarded by Trip Advisor reviewers to the Sumiyoshiya Ryokan and so checked in there for two nights. It's a pleasure to report that it lived up to its advance billing!

This in-town inn is conveniently located relative to the railroad station, central market, Kenroku Garden and other attractions. It's small -- 11 rooms -- and has been managed by the Sumiyoshi family now for nine generations. With the help of the local tourism department, the youngest generation -- Mie Sumiyoshi and her husband -- have focused on offering foreign guests a low-stress but authentically Japanese experience.

The Sumiyoshis have succeeded brilliantly. The food's good, the zashiki (tatami mat rooms) clean and comfortable and the service excellent. Prices are not unreasonable; we paid $328 for two nights accommodation, one dinner and one breakfast. At no extra cost, we were settled in an upgraded room including ensuite half-bath and a nice garden view. The ofuro (separate baths for men and women) were pleasant. For guests who prefer 'soft' vegan food or who can't deal with an overload of exotic stuff, the kitchen is flexible. Bikes are available for those who fancy a spin through Kanazawa's back streets.

Room Tip: Guests are likely to be given an upgraded room if the Sumiyoshiya is less than fully booked. Don...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nworbd
sumiyoshiya, お客様担当マネージャー at Sumiyoshiya, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2012

Thank you for your staying.
We are extremely pleased with you had enjoyed staying in Kanazawa.
We are looking forward to serving you again.

Reviewed May 2, 2012

Sumiyoshiya is the first place I've booked with not much information apart from Trip Advisor, and I'm happy to say that the excellent reviews are entirely accurate. I was very sorry that I could only stay one night! The family who run the ryokan, especially Mie-san, are so, so friendly. Changed into slippers and was shown through the beautiful old building to my room - which was gorgeous and quite economical for a solo traveller. The 6 tatami mat room was spacious for one, with a sink area and courtyard garden view behind screens on one side, and a little corridor to the private toilet on the other. I was charmed by the welcoming hot tea and cake on the table. (And the wifi available in the room was excellent so I could share the experience with my husband via Skype!) On returning from the night Kenroku-en cherry blossom viewing, my futon was laid out and I had a wonderful quiet sleep. So comfortable! Bear in mind with the shared bathroom that it is communal, with showers and the Japanese bath experience. The ryokan's location is very convenient. A 10 minute walk in one direction takes you to the Omi-cho market and then a shopping area that includes Muji and Starbucks, and barely 5 minutes from the ryokan going the other way and you're in the Kanazawa Castle grounds, heading across the park to Kenroku-en. If ever I'm lucky enough to travel in this part of Japan again I would definitely stay at Sumiyoshiya. The beautiful room, the service and the warmth of the Sumi family were one of the highlights of my trip.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank AnnaDBJ
sumiyoshiya, お客様担当マネージャー at Sumiyoshiya, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2012

and thanks for the compliment.

When you stayed at our ryokan,Kanazawa's cherry blossoms were vest view time.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed at Kanazawa.

Our ryokan is little bit slightly displaced from station.