“Good ryokan in centric location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Nakayasu Ryokan

Nakayasu Ryokan
Ranked #28 of 100 Hotels / Ryokan in Kanazawa
Spaniard in UK
“Good ryokan in centric location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2010

Overall the stay was very good, with a nice and spacious traditional Japanese en-suite room. The room was comfortable and very quiet.
It was a bit pricey but that's normal for a ryokan. I quite liked the dinner (which is served to your room), but bear in mind that I am used to Japanese food and in this case I think that for some tourists the food could have been a bit too shocking (my wife struggled a little bit more than me). The Japanese breakfast was good, and there also was the option of having a Western-style breakfast.
Another good point was that - unlike other ryokans - the meals were an option, so in that way you could make the rate significantly cheaper. And there are many restaurants nearby.
The location is very centric, so you can walk to most of Kanazawa's tourist attractions.
As a downside, the room and facilities lacked the charm of other traditional ryokans (it was a bit impersonal, similar to some business hotels), and they also looked a bit aged.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Redwood City, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2010

I am so glad I found this Ryokan on my journey through Japan. It is located within walking distance of the main site-seeing attractions and bus line. It is clean, comfortable and I found the staff went out of their way to make sure I had what I needed. The part that stands out most to me is the fantastic dinner I had there. It was delicious, filling and had many traditional Japanese dishes. Another plus is that they offered a "western-style" breakfast. This made a big difference. While I love Japanese lunch and dinners, I'm not as adventrusome in the mornings when I wake up. So I loved the western-style option. Definitely would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2010

I love this Ryokan! It is in a quiet area yet close to major attractions around town. We use their bikes which is free of charge! Room is nice and clean, 7.5 tatami is decent size for 2 people. The dinner provided is the best I have seen provided by a hotel. So much food and soooo goood. The chef is wonderful! Breakfast is nice too. The shared bathroom is clean and bright. Very comfortable. I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jajabink
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2010

We had a wonderful time here. The location is wonderful- easy walking distance to everything you want to see in Kanazawa. It's about a 20 minute walk from the train station. This is a small family run ryokan and they make you feel so welcome. Dinner was a highlight- some of the best food we had in Japan. The 2nd night we went out for dinner and the owner helped us make reservations by phoning a friend who spoke better English to help us out. The rooms are very clean, very quiet- we had a private bathroom and would recommend this- and inexpensive. If you are looking for a traditional ryokan this is it. It's a bargain

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2010

It was lovely ryokan with our Japan Rail Pass discount. Without meals, we only paid 9000 Yen for two of us. The room was clean and Okami-san and a female worker were so nice. Okami-san made us delicious coffee in the morning for no extra charge. We loved free bicycle rental. We stayed on quiet days and we did not have to see other people at the shared wash closets. But be prepare without having Western Style toilets, ladies. I wasn't.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Madrid
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2010

The service is what made this accomodation our best choice in Japan. The japanese dinner and breakfast were generous and delicious. They arranged for us the booking for Ninjadera visit, they lent us some bikes to visit the city, and in the evening, they helped us to visit the Geisha district just before having dinner.
We were foreigners, but they made us feel at home.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2008

We were offered to book here after our first choice had become unaivailable.
Had a good size room with private bathroom and toilet.
Very nice japanese bathing area also.
Breakfast served in dining room, japanese plus eggs and ham, very good, filling!
Dinners served in room, very good, some of the best meals we had in Japan!

Location very convenient for sightseing on foot the city!

Would recommend without any hesitation!

• Liked — Typical japanese Ryokan, dinner, location
  • Disliked — nothing to complain about!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple