“Charming!”

Ranked #5 of 174 Hotels / Ryokan in Takayama
Venice, Italy
“Charming!”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Lovely ryokan in the heart of Takayama. Spacious Japanese-style rooms with small vestibule and bathroom. Spotlessly clean and very quiet. Kimonos are provided. Cozy small onsen. Possibility to choose Western or Japanese-style breakfast (book in advance!). Very friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed at this ryokan with our 2yr old son and overall it was a pleasant experience. The staff was friendly and helped accomodate requests related to travelling with a little kid. Food was excellent and served in a traditional fashion. The onsite onsen is very convenient! It would be 5 stars if not for the price, which we found to be on the higher side.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Right from the moment we stepped into the ryokan with luggages in tow, there wasn't an inkling of typical Japanese hospitality. The owner, dressed in a formal business suit, was quick in hurrying us to our rooms, even stopping us midway through the hot soya bean tea they served to new guests. Unlike other ryokans, there was no bed-making performance every evening (the futons were laid out and table shifted to a corner already when we checked in). The heater in the room also takes hours to be warmed up - thank goodness it was springtime so temperaturs weren't dipping till ground zero.
The best thing they offer is the lovely public bath downstairs. With pretty wood furnishings and cosy ambience, we can easily be re-charged during the bath.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
sams45
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I went to Japan in the Summer of 2010, and am now just getting around to reviews (i know). My friend and I had an awesome time in Takayama and we stayed at this ryokan for two nights. It was a really great place, and we enjoyed it. Definitely the best dinner we had compared to any of the other ryokans around japan we stayed at. I fully recommend this place.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank sams45
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed December 9, 2011

We came to love Japanese hotels. This one was especially nice, the room was spacious, and the public bath really a great treat after a day's sightseeing. Check the web site for directions from the train station - it's not too far a far walk, near an old pagoda.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I stayed for 2 nights at Ryokan Asunaro with my 12 year old daughter in April 2011, during the Spring Festival. It is a big guesthouse, with many rooms on each floor, but it was quiet and easy to relax in. Our room was large and comfortable, the staff were kind and helpful and the breakfasts were delicious! We also had a private dinner one night, which was superb. The onsen was very clean and great fun to use. There is also free wireless internet and 2 computers with free cable internet in the lobby area.
Asunaro is very easy to find and is about a 5 minute walk from the station, From the station, walk left along the main street. Turn right at the fourth street. Walk one block, turn left, and you're there. It then takes only a few minutes to walk into the main part of town.
We loved Takayama and staying in such a charming ryokan definitely contributed to our enjoyment. I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank MumPlusOne2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2011

I'm really surprised by the negative reviews for this ryokan. This was the nicest place I stayed in my trip to Japan. The room was spacious and light, the bathroom was fine, the staff were all friendly and helpful and the free internet in reception was a bonus (especially as there was a general election in the UK when I was there and I was trying to follow the results!). I had a traditional meal there one night, which was simply amazing. I am usually really picky about food, and I don't eat fish, so I was worried about what I might be given. Stupid me. I ate the most delicious beef I have ever tasted - if you'd said to me before I went that I would eat raw beef, I would have laughed, but I did, it was that good. The rest of the meal was great too, and it was fun (if slightly nerve-wracking) to have a lady watching what I was doing to make sure I didn't eat the wrong thing at the wrong time or use the wrong sauce! And did I mention the onsen? This was probably the least atmospheric of the three I used in Japan, but was clean and large and it was wonderful to get in it after the huge meal (well, not immediately after it!). Takayama itself was a really atmospheric place, very photogenic and great restaurants. I highly recommend both the ryokan and the town.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo