Ryokan Tanabe
  • Restaurant
  • Free Internet
  • Restaurant
Ryokan
Oyado Koto no Yume(Takayama)
View Hotel
All reviewsold towntrain stationbreakfast and dinnermorning markethida beefwooden bathtwo nightsjapanese bathjapanese hospitalitysized roomtraditional stylemain sightssmall dishescoffee machinetraditional dinnerold ladytraditional experience
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Tanabe for 2 nights.
Our room was on the second floor in the new wing of the ryokan.
We enjoyed the experience so much. I was worried about sleeping on the floor but the futon was definatly sufficient and the quilts are great! The rooms are Japanese style but have modern amenities, eg. New bathroom and A/C.
We also had the banquet dinner in the room 1 night and it seemed like quite traditional food, some of which I hadn't seen.
The owners are incredibly accommodating and with limited English still managed to make us feel very welcome and comfortable.
Wi-fi in the lobby only.
Amazing experience and we loved staying there.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I loved this experience. We stayed for two nights. This was the perfect amount of time to tour the area and enjoy a Japanese Ryokan. We were in the new wing and the room had a small private garden and onsen.

It was so much fun sleeping on the futon and enjoying the meals served in our room. It is very romantic. The proprietor Ms Tanabe understands the sensibilities of foreign tourists and is a wonderful hostess. She has found a way to blend the traditional experience with some modern touches. Put it on your itinerary and enjoy. The area is also wonderful for dining and touring.

Room Tip: New wing and dinner maybe one night so you can enjoy a nearby restaurant as well. With limited bags a very easy walk from the train station.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We were a bit nervous for this reservation, not knowing what to expect. We arrived early, but no worries, they ran up to us to grab our heavy bags and asked us to come back in an hour....perfect...allowed us to stretch and have a nice walk after our train ride.

1 Hour later we returned and were welcomed warmly. We had upgraded to a room with a private onsen just in case they had issues with my tattoo....they did not, so I would not worry about this and save the money as its easy to find the time to use the public onsen solo.

ROOM: Very traditional, simple, clean. It has no wow factor, but its obvious to everyone that this is how its suppose to look...traditional. The little sitting area was nice in the sun. The bathroom was very simple, just a typical bathroom, not much to comment on.

FOOD: Well, this is where the majority of your money is going. We opted for the dinner and breakfast. Its literally a 16 course dinner and 10 course breakfast... they lay it out in front of you all at once and leave for you to cook and enjoy it. The problem is, most of the food is too traditional for most haha. There were things like raw squid, assorted sashimi, weird salads, fish skin, etc. We had a tough time finishing most of it, but pushed through and did our best. The experience is whats its all about, and we enjoyed every second of it. The effort of the staff showed as well.

BED: Looks uncomfortable, but we slept great....very quiet and warm.

ONSEN: Its good, the 2 tubs outside fluctuate in temperature, at times going from lukewarm to scalding hot! The main pool area is a bit to shallow imo, would be awkward with more then 3 people in it.

LOBBY: The only reason I did not give them a 5/5 is because of the lounge. There is only one little corner to sit in. While we were there, one of the guests would always come here to smoke...so it pretty much ruined the area. Very hard to socialize here...never saw anyone! The complementary coffee though was great! There is a open stove tea room, but we never saw it in use and wondered what it was really used for.

Overall, I would recommend this ryokan if in the area. The town is easy to walk through in one day, and the location of this ryokan is convenient. Its a bit expensive, but the experience was worth it.

Room Tip: We had a room just off the main road and still did not hear a thing.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank littlechilds
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I made the reservations directly via their website and Mrs. Tanabe was very kind and reassuring with her email confirmation.

This was our first trip to Japan and I wasn't sure if my family can adjust to traditional hotels, so I only booked one night at the start of our trip.

To say that the lodging and the food exceeded my expectation is an understatement.

We stayed at a newer wing, with an en-suite cedar bath - my teenager was too shy to go into the communal onsen. The room was very simple, elegant and clean. Upon arrival, as in the custom, we were served tea and cookies.

We opted for full board, and was served the dinner at another room in an older wing - I think it's off season so they can do that. The dinner was multi-course, beautiful presentation, tasty and way way too much food (good thing we were already close to the floor!). Some dish was more interesting than others. They served us the famous Hida beef in a shabu and it was very good, but you have to be a bit adventurous - they also served us a snail dish which I liked but some may find it strange.

After dinner the staff came by and made up the room with futon and bedding. As it was winter the extra fluffy down comforter was really nice. I didn't find the futon too hard but the buckwheat pillow really presented a challenge. Personally I love a cold room and warm bedding when it's cold out, so this is just up my alley.

The communal onsen was very nice and as it was low seaon we didn't encounter anyone else. For the ladies' there's a large indoor section with very hot water, and 2 smaller 1 person tub outside (cooler water). As our bathroom also has a cedar bath we had to try it out as well (especially the next morning as it was still really cold and it's nice to warm up that way).

Breakfast next day was pretty simple but good. We had the Hoba miso (miso on Magnolia leaf), small piece of grilled fish, rice, pickles and a salad. We couldn't stop marveling over how something so simple as miso can be so incredibly good. Needless to say we stockpiled on the miso afterwards when we went shopping at the farmer's market and assorted stores.

We had an hour to kill before boarding the train to Kyoto so we hang out at the lobby and enjoyed a cup of coffee at Mrs. Tanabe's insistance.

Takayama and Ryokan Tanabe was the highlight of our Japan trip and unfortunately no other lodging or dining experiences at Kyoto, Osaka or Tokyo compared.

Room Tip: New wing - it's worth the spurge.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank stella t
Reviewed February 22, 2013

i liked everything in Tanabe Ryokan begining with Mrs. Akiko Tanabe, the owner. She is a very friendly japanese woman that runs the Hotel and that made me a lot a good recomendations. Staying in a Ryokan is a experience you must take when travelling to Japan and Tanabe Ryokan is great choice! the food was wonderful and the staff was very friendly and work with a smile in their faces.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple