“Spectacular Food”

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 18, 2016 via mobile

My family and I went to this restaurant based on a recommendation from a tour guy. This place did not disappoint, first there was traditional Japanese style fish and soups and all types of meats prepared in different ways that my kids loved!

We sat at a table called Tatami (where you sit on the floor) and our table had a charcoal grill embedded in it where you grill your own meat.

We ordered miso soup, croquettes that was battered with something sweet, deep fried tofu, (which i grilled some more), wheinerschnitzel, and a dish of raw meat for grilling (plus a bunch more items).

The entire dinner for 4 including drinks was under ¥9,100, a bargain for everyone with different appetites and all left full!

Note: you can sit at a table so you don't have to kneel.

1  Thank Chris A
Write a reviewReviews (397)

Reviewed August 18, 2016 via mobile

Great combination of Japanese and Western food. Kids are not found of Japanese food. We ordered combination meat plater that you grill in front of you, miso rice (again they cook miso in front of you) in a little stove, kids had breaded pork and potatoes and we're happy as well. Best of all it was not hot inside. Tatami and regular tables available. This restaurant is a block away from busy streets so it was not busy. Great food, great interior, courteous and prompt service, highly recommend.

Reviewed August 13, 2016 via mobile

Well, we tried many beef in Japan. Wagyu, matsusaka, and this one is another type of beef in hida area. Its called Hida Beef which is the same type as wagyu and you will find this beef anywhere in Takayama. However, we tried the more traditional method to eat it with charcoal and some sand. The taste was amazing and it was almost equal to the taste of more expensive kind of beef. There is two menu that we ordered, Hida beef and prime hida beef. Our tips : go with the prime. 7 times better. Very Recommended place.

1  Thank Rhyando A
Reviewed August 13, 2016 via mobile

This is a small, cozy restaurant in the north side of Takayama. Serve a relatively wide variety of noodle dishes as well as several set menu options based off the local hide beef. Quality is excellent, service very good. Its highlight is the carbon grill to cook the meat your own, placed in the middle of each table, which is a nice and different experience.

Reviewed July 25, 2016

When I describe my Japanese experience to others I rave about the food but mention that most of the time I didn't know what I was getting. This was an exception, albeit it wasn't the restaurant I set out for. I had looked up another restaurant on Tripadvisor and was en route and close to its location when we saw Kyoya. There was lots of laughter coming out, I could see it was busy and I thought I had arrived. The fact I was wrong was not a problem because the abovementioned signs were a good indication of what was to follow. We were five and the only table free was going to be a bit of a squeeze for us big westerners but very generously a couple who were sitting at a bigger table offered to change with us which had an added bonus in that this was a table with seats and I could give my legs a break from sitting cross legged. We opted for the grill. We were in Hida, the local speciality is beef and so 4 of us opted for beef. I cannot recall what my wife chose. When the Japanese say they have marvellous beef, it is true and of cousre, grilling it yourself you can have it as rare or as well done as you like. One touch I appreciated was the salt. It was not pure salt but had pepper or maybe some other spice mixed in with it and it complemented the beef beautifully. We had such a good night I am smiling again as I write this. Highly recommended for all meat lovers.

Date of visit: July 2016