“wonderful experience”

Ranked #2 of 174 Hotels / Ryokan in Takayama
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“wonderful experience”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I had a lovely time at this ryokan. I had stayed in two other ryokans during my trip to japan somehow i liked this a lot. Clean rooms, smiling helpful staff, but the best of all was the meals.
We are vegetarians and its quite difficult to find a fully vegetarian spread in ryokans in Japan.
I was apprehensive wondering about the meal i would be given but it was very tasty and lovely.
There is a station pickup and drop , some of the staff can converse in english and help you with ideas regarding places to see. They have a good internet connection and surprise !! an enlish channel on tv :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We spent 3 most enjoyable nights at Yamakyu and would rank it very highly. We were upgraded to an 8 tatami mat room with private toilet and washbasin and the staff obliged with very comfortable double thickness futons. The food was excellent, dinner was huge (don't eat during the day!). We were accommodated with early breakfast on a couple of mornings.
Although a comfortable walk from the station, we were met on arrival and transported back on departure. The ryokan is located on a picturesque spot near a temple at the foot of the Higashyamas and a short walk from the historical area. It has a very nice courtyard garden.

Yamakyu has more guest rooms than other ryokans we have experienced, but manages to retain the intimate and friendly feel one expects at a ryokan. Be sure you experience the outdoor onsens,they are both fantastic! Staff are very friendly and helpful and we felt very much at home.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ruthhodges
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 8, 2012

We stayed at this Ryokan for 2 nights and it was certainly one of our favorite places to stay in Japan. The workers are very friendly and hospitable, and their english is pretty good. They came to pick us up from the train station (and also offered to drive our suitcases to the train station upon leaving so that we could spend the morning walking around town without worrying about them). The workers keep the place quite clean and they do up your mattresses for you at night and put them away to set up a tea table during the day. The food though was AMAZING and was some of the best food we had on the trip. We opted for both breakfast and dinner for both days. Dinner consists of about 10 small dishes (but they weren't even that small!) which includes things like sashimi, soba noodles, hoba miso (SOOO yummy), tonkatsu, a soup that cooks on a burner with some mushrooms/raw beef/ onions etc...., mountain veggies, rice, little appetizers, dessert. And, both nights there was different foods! Morning breakfasts were also hearty with about 7 dishes, a bit lighter fare but gave us plenty of energy for our sightseeing throughout the day :) We hardly had much to eat for lunch because of the wonderful meals they prepped at Yamakyu. Certainly recommend!!!! Value is very good too. My husband was a bit skeptical about the public bathhouse, but in the end he was ok with it and glad he got that experience! The bathhouses were very clean and if you went close to closing there usually wasn't really anyone there.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights and this is the best place i stayed during my 2 weeks hols in Japan. This place has its own character, a charming traditional ryokan, which is tourist friendly.
Friendly and helpful staff, very courteous. Nice japanese food served for dinner and the portion is huge !!! I was surprise to see croissant served together in a japanese breakfast set. Free coffee is available in the lounge from 0700 every morning. There is an english newspaper too.
Room is fairly big and enough space for 2. Futon is comfortable. I slept very well here.
The common bathroom is very clean and i especially love the outdoor tub. Very nice indeed.
It snow during my stay here ( early april 2012 ), which make it a wonderful experience......
Its a wonderful experience staying here. Love this place !!!

Room Tip: Book early especially for weekend.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank whereisfatboy
Minneapolis
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Well, here is where I will disagree with the general tone of reviews for this ryokan. It is small, friendly, and the location is very good. There is, however, a level of hype and raised expectations that lead one to expect more than the owners deliver. The local mothers who make the meals? Okay, but, really, the cooking is what one would get pretty much anywhere in Japan. It's a nice marketing thing, that's all. The public bath is really disappointing. When I used it I was the only one there, which was kind of odd. Was it me or did the bath just simply not appeal? Overall, the place needs a bit of refurbishing: doors with chipped finish, window screens with broken trim, that sort of thing that one unfortunately notices and which detract. I will say the staff was helpful. Not always promptly so, but helpful. Perhaps the selling point is the location. That works out well. The walk from the train station is a long slog.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Hans50
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I am stay 1 night here and feel very happy with the welcome and the dinner especially beef
Room also night , over all place is so good, they do have service to pick up from Takayama Train Station which is good option due to i just realize that if i have to walk with by bag it will be a bit far

Hotel also have a map in my country language [ Thailand ] which is very surprise for me :) meaning that there a much more thai people come and visit this Ryokan [ Which is they do the right decision ]
i also like to outdoor onsen here , it's very impressive for me

Thanks again thanks you and i wish if i return to Takayama i will stay here again

Room Tip: every room should be ok
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
London, England
Reviewed April 13, 2012

I had hoped to stay here two nights, but they were fully booked (reading the reviews you can see why!).

The ryokan is about 1km from the station and they have a pick up service (just go to the tourist info booth and they will ring for you). It is set on a quiet street directly across from a row of shrines and temples. You step out the front door, cross the street, and there you are! Perfect setting.

The ryokan itself is beautifully appointed and welcoming, from the small zen garden at the entrance and throughout. There are several common areas for people to sit and relax as well as a computer. The decorations and knick knacks are lovely and draw you in to the beautiful displays.

My single room was on the second floor and included a toilet (a washlet- oh how I love these Japanese toilets!) and sink in a small foyer-like area. There are public baths in the basement. The tatami room was quite spacious compared to other Japanese inns I have stayed in and beautifully set up. During the evening, the staff will come to your room and set up your futon. A nice touch was that they put a heating pad under the covers at the foot of the bed so it was toasty when I crawled in. I think that epitomises this establishment, they pay attention to detail and make the effort, even with the smallest things to make your staff wonderful.

The public baths were nice- with both an indoor and outdoor bath (I always love the outdoor bath!).

I had the traditional supper and breakfast included in my room costs and WOW was it amazing! Everything was beautifully presented and there was dish after dish after dish to try. Personally I am not much of a fan of fish and seafood (and there was a lot of it) but it was presented in such a lovely way I had to try (almost) everything and found myself even liking things I was sure I would not. The meals are served at traditional tables, with you sitting on the floor. Thankfully they have "seats" with backs which makes it quite comfortable and I noticed they had low chairs for those who would not be able to sit on the floor. The food was incredible!

The staff here were warm, gracious, and friendly. The young man who collected me from the station (and served supper and made up my room) was especially helpful and friendly (including telling me what all the food was and how to eat some of the dishes). All of the staff were wonderful and very accommodating. For those who do not speak Japanese, all of the staff I interacted with had some level of English and communication was not a problem.

As I was checking out, the desk staff asked what my plans were and I said I was hoping to catching the morning market before catching my bus. It had been my intention to take my bag with me and walk to the station from there. She very kindly offered to have someone meet me at the station 20 minutes before my bus was to leave, with my bag, so I could enjoy the market and walk without the burden of luggage.

In terms of value for money- given the room, food, and amazing service- top notch!

I cannot give enough praise about Oyado Yamakyu and it's staff. My only disappointment is that I only stayed one night.

Absolutely fantastic place!