“Delightful Experience”

Ranked #1 of 173 Hotels / Ryokan in Takayama
Sydney, Australia
“Delightful Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2009

Sumiyoshi is a wonderful charming experience. The hosts have limited English but this in no way detracts from their hospitality and generosity. We booked through the Japanese Guest Houses Web site and they proved to be excellent. We had requested a River View room with private toilet and that was exactly what we got. The room was large with a private balcony and very comfortable.

The two meals we had - dinner and breakfast - were just incredible. The number of dishes and their quality and complexity was overwhelming. A Western breakfast is available but we went the local and were not disappointed. Unlike many Ryokans they remain open until 11PM so it is possible to enjoy a sumptuous meal and still go out to explore the town afterwards.

The morning market is directly opposite the inn on the riverbank, and the old preserved town streets are a 5 minute walk away. It's worth getting a taxi from the station and back, as it is within flagfall distance and they deliver you right to the door which could otherwise be tricky to find.

Although there is not a true Onsen (hot spring) there is a delightful bathroom with a huge deep hot tub that you can use privately. Highly recommended for a relatively inexpensive Ryokan experience and some of the best Japanese food around.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2009

During our staying in Japan we decided to spend one night at a traditional kind of pansion, a ryokan. Ryokans are not cheap, on the contrary it was our most expensive choice in that trip. For sure it was worthy. Traditional way of living and sleeping (think it twice if you have back ache) and a really tasty japanese breakfast gave us a great experience in a lovely place. Our room had a nice river view ( small fall) and the staff though didn't speak english were really helpful and kind. I strongly recommend it to everyone

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2009

We spent 2 nights in this wonderful traditional house. Located nearby the morning market. The owner are incredibly friendly and funny. We had a really great time over there. Our room was spacious and decorated with antiques with an acces to a charming garden. Hotsprings are lovely and the food is delicious.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2008

Quite unassuming in looks and decor this ryokan is in a good position in town. The rooms face out onto the river and although the view is nice i wouldnt say it was anything special. The things I liked best about the ryokan was the wonderful hot bath and the fantastic food they served.
We booked using Japanese Guest houses without any problems, and although it was expensive I'd say it was worth it for the experience.

Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2008

The proprietors of Sumiyoshi greeted us with big friendly smiles. The hotel is right in the middle of everything in this lovely town, and we had a nice room looking right over the river.

The dinner and breakfast were amazing. The wonderful women who served our meals spoke virtually no English but communicated well through big smiles, sweeping gestures, and laughter.

• Liked — The great kaiseki meals
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2008

I loved the Sumiyoshi ryokan but must comment that I also got bitten by fleas or sand flies pretty badly. But the bites didn't come up till the next day so technically it didn't ruin my stay! I am particularly susceptible to any insect bites so if you aren't usually bothered by them you may get lucky. If you do generally tend to get bitten, cover up as much as possible when you go to sleep. I wore pajamas and I wish I'd worn bed socks too and then I may have avoided them.

Other than that, the rooms are lovely. I travelled on my own and was catered for very well. I ate the evening meal and Japanese breakfast and was very pleased with both. The bed was comfortable, the view pleasant and although the western style toilet was shared I never had to wait (at this stage in my trip I wasn't brave enough to experience the japanese style toilet there!)

The staff are incredibliy welcoming and friendly. My Japanese is extremely basic but we still muddled through and had a giggle. Overall, a great experience.

• Liked — Food and clothes lent to look the part
  • Disliked — eek, the fleas, but please don't be too put off.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2008

As many have said the dinner served in the room is a highlight when staying at Sumiyoshi. I'm not a big fan of Japanese food though enjoyed it all and the lovely ladies who served it with great humour and grace. I choose the Western breakfast and my husband had the Japanese. I was very happy with my choice as the Japanese breakfast seemed quite similar to the dinner. We had a view of the river and could see the morning markets from our room. Each room has a fridge and safe. There are two bathrooms so no problem having a private wash.
The owners are very friendly and helpfull. We hired bikes from the shop next door which we enjoyed very much. You cover so much more ground using the bikes so we fitted everything in we wanted to see in our 24 hours in Takayama. The bikes can be hired from 1hr to 1 day (1000yen). The 1 day is not 24hrs it only includes the day you start your hire. They open at 9am and close at 8pm.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)