“Charming”

Ranked #1 of 174 Hotels / Ryokan in Takayama
London, United Kingdom
“Charming”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We arrived in pouring rain and spent the afternoon with our books looking out at the rising river. The staff were charming and settled us in with tea and our new indoor clothing look of yukata.
The elderly owner is lovely, aspeaks a little English. She brought us a vast dinner in our room with all manner of delicious home cooked dishes.

After dinner was cleared away, the tatami mats and bedding were brought in .It was pretty cold but the mountain of bedding kept things cosy! A little tough on the back but that depends on what you're used to..

We booked the room with its own toilet and bath, though the bathing experience is similar .You clean yourself with the shower, sitting on a low stool, then plunge into the square bath that's filled with very hot water.

We'd never stayed in Ryokan before and it was a special experience. Recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Upon arrival at the Sumiyoshi Ryokan we were immediately warmly greeted by the staff here and much to our discomfort were not allowed to carry our luggage up to our room which overlooks the neighbouring river, but to watch a elderly lady clamber up the staircase carrying our 20kg bags and into our room.
Now I don't know the name of this lady but she greeted us many times during our stay here and she has an uplifting if not humerous disposition that is contagious to be around. She helped us both put on our yukata (traditional Japanese attire) and insisted on taking photos of us inside our tatami matting room.

She presented us with green tea as a welcoming ceremony and left us to settle in before coming back not much later to call us for dinner. Dinner was a fantastic (and very large) japanese style meal with a beef dish cooked before our eyes, sashimi, soy beans, rice, pickles, etc. We were very full upon completing our strawberry's.

We later enjoyed the HUGE common onsen bath (really great for us, being the only guests at the ryokan at the time so it was just a giant bathroom for us) which constantly pours out hot water into the bath (if the bath is too hot or cold for your liking then there is a faucet which will let you adjust the temperature as well). This was a really exciting part of our Japan trip for me and I've decided that I want one at home (now all I have to do is find a natural hot water source that will never run out - hmmm).

The next morning at 8am, we were given a traditional Japanese breakfast - while I don't know the names of half of the things that were included in the breakfast, it was still very delicious and I'm glad that I got to experience a Japanese breakfast at least at one point during my stay.

All of the staff here are friendly and enjoyable, the woman who seems to run the front desk seems to know english very well and was even able to help us book a table at a local restaurant for dinner at extremely late notice. The service here is very good, they do not impose too much on your privacy but they are also always available to help. During the day of our sightseeing around Takayama, we wanted to bring some things back to the room (so that we wouldn't have carry them around all day and were met at the door by one of the men who works at the ryokan and he offered to take our things to the room so that we wouldn't have to remove our shoes before immediately turning around to go out again.

I wasn't sure about how the ryokan experience would be before arriving in Takayama, but Sumiyoshi Ryokan really provided great service and an extremely enjoyable experience - not one that I will forget soon. I would highly recommend Sumiyoshi to anyone planning to travel to Takayama and is thinking about staying in a ryokan.

Room Tip: We were fortunate enough to travel at a time where there was nobody else staying in the ryokan, our...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank IndiaDwyer
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Staying in a very old house with paper walls in sub zero temperatures may not have been the best idea I've ever had and was not without its challenges. However the warm hospitality and amazing food provided a unique Japanese experience. Takayama is a delightful historic village and the train trip from Tokyo via Nagoya was spectacular - but at this time of year be prepared to be very cold. We walked to the ryokan from the station according to instructions from the info booth. We missed the ryokan sign, expecting it to be on the corner near the Kajibashi Bridge. While it backs onto the beautiful river, the ryokan is accessed via a lane way beside the bicycle shop, found only with some help from a generous Japanese man. Sumiyoshi is a fantastic experience with beautiful Japanese people. Tip - do at least part of the Shiroyama Park walking trail and finish off in the Red Hill bar - celebrate when you actually find it!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Anne T
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

You cannot complete your Japan journey without a ryokan experience. I was initially skeptical about staying at a ryokan with the impression that it's going to be very uncomfortable. I was wrong. Host greeted us from the main road and assisted with my bag for me. Food was served in the room and it was fantastic. The hot bath was a little hot but still awesome!! The hosts were so friendly and hospitable. I will definitely come here again!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We spent two nights at Sumiyoshi, excellent location, sleeping arrangements pretty comfortable overall, but the best element was the food (included in the price) - we had two amazing breakfasts and two amazing evening meals, wonderful food. We were in Takayama during the October Festival, if there hadn't been a festival we may have struggled to occupy two full days, you get around the town pretty quickly, but a lovely setting overall.WE had a room upstairs with a private bathroom, which we preferred, but I could see that without a bathroom would not have been a big problem. Overall, highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank arjaymelb
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 7, 2013

The reviews on Tripadvisor do not do this ryokan justice – it has to be experienced to be believed. Everybody makes you feel so welcome – as one of the reviewers on Tripadvisor commented you are made to feel like house quests rather than staying in a hotel. I booked a Japanese room without an ensuite, it was very comfortable and plenty of room. The sharing of bathroom was not a problem, and added to the Japanese experience - you are able to lock the bathroom and bathe in privacy. The ryokan is located in a very quiet lane beside a river – the location is very tranquil.

When I arrived my dirty laundry was taken from me and returned to me in the evening washed and folded – free of charge. When I came back to my room in the evening after exploring Takayama the bedding had been made up in my room and the heater turned on – late October the evenings can be cool. And, before turning my light out at night I was brought a complimentary glass of sweet sake. In the mornings the same very delightful lady greeted me with coffee in my room. The attention to detail is extraordinary, and the service is friendly and warm.

I cannot recommend this ryokan highly enough – it truly has to be experienced to be believed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank BiddyBond
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 3, 2013

The inn is in a 100 y.o. building, previously a pawn shop, and a ryokan for the past 60 years. Atmosphere of the place is undeniable. It is relatively small, max. capacity of 20 people, and the service is very personable and warm. Do get at least one dinner at the hotel,you will be in for a very well priced kaiseki treat. The location is wonderful.

Room Tip: The river view rooms are very nice
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple