“Better than I expected”
Review of Rickshaw Inn

Rickshaw Inn
Ranked #3 of 99 B&Bs / Inns in Takayama
Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Although it's a small inn, less than 15 rooms, it's very comfortable while staying there. Attendances are very warm. They even carried your luggage to your room which is very rare in small inns in Japan. Japanese style room, very cosy. Very clean. The common kitchen and sitting room are free to use. Provide free wifi.

• Stayed: October 2012
力車イン, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Rickshaw Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Thank you very much for your great review.
We are pleased read that you liked our Room, Lounge and FREE Wi-Fi.
We hope to see you back in Takayama soon.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I took a 6-week trip to Japan with a friend and we spent 1 night at the fantastic Rickshaw Inn for the spring festival in April. We were so impressed that we extended our stay in Takayama, and booked another 2 nights at the Rickshaw Inn.

The staff were very friendly, kind, helpful and spoke excellent English. We stayed in room 305 and it was very clean and spacious. The futons were very comfortable and the room was well-priced.

Takayama is a beautiful place and I hope to return there in the future. And if I ever return to Takayama, I will definitely stay at the Rickshaw Inn again. I highly recommend it.

To the staff at the Rickshaw Inn: Thank you for your hospitality and for making us feel very welcome. I enjoyed the conversations we had about England and Japan, and about places we hope to visit in the future. And thank you for giving me some medicine when I did not feel well. Arigato gozaimashita.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank AlexLloyd1
力車イン, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Rickshaw Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and your kind words.
We always feel happy to talk with guests and exchange cultures.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Rickshaw Inn on your next trip to Takayama.
Thank you very much.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Just back in the UK after three weeks work and play in Japan. We stayed at the Rickshaw Inn, Takayama, for three days in mid August and had a lovely time.
Only 6 mins easy flat walk from the rail/bus station, very central but 100 mtrs down a side road so nice and quiet.
Room was a western style with two large single beds and a very nice en-suite.
Good air con helped with the heat, umbrellas to borrow for the showers.
There was an amazing gas room heater for the winter and huge soft feather duvets for winter travellers.
Nice open lounge area for breakfasts and chatting with other guests.
Staff were all very friendly and helpful with very good English.
Rooms and shared lounge were kept very tidy, free tea and coffee, washer and dryer available (very handy!)
Nice breakfast included and they recommended a superb restaurant, Kyoya, which was so good we went back a second time.
Takayama was a lovely town with lots of older houses and buildings to look around. Two nice little street markets, one alongside the river bank, were very interesting with tasty samples to try. Superb nearby historic village museum of grass roofed houses in Hida No Sato, 10 mins on local bus, is well worth a day out.

Room Tip: Western single beds were nice and large
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Toozalii
力車イン, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Rickshaw Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Thank you very much for your wonderful review.
We are really pleased to read you enjoyed your time here and takayama.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Rickshaw Inn in the near future!
See you again!

Reviewed May 28, 2012

We stayed in a lovely, spacious Japanese style room but with western style ensuite bathroom. Very clean, comfortable and full of character. Staff friendly and helpful. Perfect location for exploring Takayama.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank KAT904
力車イン, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Rickshaw Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2012

Thank you for your review of Rickshaw Inn.
We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We hope to see you back in Takayama soon.

Reviewed May 2, 2012

I stayed in a Japanese style single room, with the shared bath very conveniently located right outside. I'm guessing the hotel was full since it was Spring Festival weekend but I never had to wait for the shower or toilet. The room itself was pretty spacious for one person, with a little table, lots of space for bags, and a tap/sink. The futon was reasonably comfortable - I was very happy to sink into it each night, but felt the hard floor a little in the mornings. The communal space was a nice place to mingle in the mornings - I didn't realize until I arrived that there was a little kitchen there too with dishes and cutlery for guests to use - very handy for breakfast! The wifi in the room was excellent - very fast.

Best things: lovely slippers-and-tatami-mat atmosphere, quiet street but close to the action, very reasonably priced, wonderful friendly staff - there were three different staff members working over the time I was there and they were all extremely welcoming and helpful with info about weather, festival happenings and the like. I would definitely return if in Takayama.

Room Tip: I think there are two Japanese-style singles, one on the second floor and one directly above on the...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank AnnaDBJ
力車イン, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Rickshaw Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us and your kind words.
We are glad to hear that you like our Japanese style room.
We hope you enjoyed Takayama Festival even though it was raining on the first day.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Takayama.

Reviewed May 1, 2012

I really loved this simple little place. It was exactly what I was looking for - cozy, cheap, clean, fun, strong free wifi, super helpful English speaking staff. When I arrived from the train with all my luggage, everyone behind the desk welcomed me by name before i even told them who I was!

They obviously really love their Inn because they pay great attention to detail and really keep the place looking great. I stayed in an eensy weensy room that had its own toilet and sink in a closet basically. Even though it was all crammed in, they laid it out to make it feel really homey and nice. Not an easy thing to do with such limited space! It's also near to everything so you can walk everywhere. Loved it.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo

Thank you very much for your wonderful review.
We are glad you liked our place and enjoyed your stay.
We always happy to help guests if they have any requirements or needs.
Hope to see you again sometime soon.

Reviewed April 14, 2012

I stayed in this inn in March. The staff were very gracious and knowledgeable. The room was very warm and comfortable and very clean. Excellent value. I would recommend it highly.

• Stayed: March 2012
力車イン, フロント オフィス マネージャー at Rickshaw Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay in March with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Rickshaw Inn in the near future.