“Very Pleasant.”

Hida Takayama Museum of Art
Ranked #16 of 149 things to do in Takayama
More attraction details
Owner description: Its extensive glass collection is the main attraction of this popular art museum.
Bonsall, California
112 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 618 helpful votes
“Very Pleasant.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2010

I had read about this museum in a guidebook beforehand, otherwise I wouldn't have known it existed. It is walking distance from the Hida no Sato folk village, so my advice is to stop by here before or after visiting the village.

The modern museum houses a beautiful collection of glass objects in one wing and antique furniture in the other. Both are nicely presented and well worth seeing, especially the glass. There is also a large gift shop and a cafe with indoor/outdoor seating. The views of the snow-capped mountains from here are lovely.

Because the museum is a bit out of the way, there are no taxis waiting to take you back into town, but I'm sure the staff would call one for you upon request. There is a free shuttle bus to the station, but we didn't ask about it, so I don't know what the schedule is. We chose to walk back to town which was OK for us, but don't try it unless you are physically fit because it is about a 30 minute walk (downhill toward town). There is nothing difficult or unpleasant about it, but it is a long walk.

All in all, I recommend stopping by if you are in the area anyway. The staff was very pleasant. We spent about an hour there and saw everything at a leisurely pace. As far as we could tell we were the only visitors there, but it was the off season.

2 Thank davegidd

• Thai first
France
“Happy having been there”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2009

It was a highlight during our stay in Takayama. French, we thought it's a bit silly to go and see french works in Japan. But it was worse, alone the museum as itself deserves a visit. A beautiful achievement of modern architecture, full of harmonie. I was delighted. We visited the exhibition, which is very well presented, then we enjoyed a visit of the Folk village, and finished our mornig with lunch back in the garden of the museum of art. It was delicious, dishes were nicely decorated and tasty, the view of the mointains with snow covered picks at the horizon.
I recommend this place to everybody.

Melbourne
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 180 helpful votes
“Takayama's hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2008

We considered this to be a hidden gem in Takayama. There is very little advertising given to it and I didn't see it mentioned in any of the guidebooks I had, perhaps because there is nothing Japanese about it.

It is a purpose built museum which specialises in Art Nouveau and has works by Lalique, Galle, Tiffany and other famous glass makers. The Lalique glass fountain which used to stand in the Champs Elysee Arcade is magnificent and still in working order. There is also a Vieniesse Secession Room and a number of works by Macintosh of Scotland.

We were there on the weekend of the Takayama festival, so peak period, and I think I saw a total of four other people during our entire time there. To be able to wander around the rooms at our leisure without having to compete with anyone else was a luxury in itself.

We also had a throughly enjoyable lunch outside in the sunshine overlooking the valley. One the way out we noticed that it had a plaque saying that Michelin rated the museum as a 3 star attraction and we certainly agreed.

2 Thank shandy40
San Mateo, California
186 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 312 helpful votes
“Impressive glass and crystal collection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2007

I did not have any expectations of this museum. I was making my sarubobo doll at the Omoi de Taikenkan ( a place where people can experience making glass pendants, sarubobo dolls, pressed glass work and crisp ricecrakers) and the instructors recommended a visit to this museum. So off we went.

I immediately liked the architecture of the museum. A lot of big glass windows inviting natural light to go into the atrium. Very tranquil. The most impressive piece was the Rene Lalique crystal fountain. This 1926 piece was originally installed at the Champs-Elysee shopping arcade in Paris. It is now housed in this museum. It is turned on and off, sychronized with the lighting in the room. In the other exhibition rooms, there are numerous works by Lalique, Tiffany, Daum, Emile Galle, Maurice Marinot.
I only had enough time to see the glass collection and I have not visited the Vienna Secession Room.
Then I proceeded to the museum cafe, The Mackintosh Tearoom. We were in extreme hurry and needed to grab a bite quick. We ordered a sandwich set and a pasta lunch set. The sandwich set came with 2 sandwiches, a salmon salad, a piece of cake and a tea. The pasta set has a mushroom pasta, green salad and tea. The entire process took 20 minutes. A very efficient cafe. The food was decent too. Then we hurried back to the station to catch our bus back to Nagoya.
This museum has a free red London double decker running between the station and the museum. It runs every 30 minutes between April and October. We took a taxi back to the station. The ride was only about 10 minutes.
It was a great experience. Although I was extremely time pressed, I was still able to enjoy a relaxing moment at the museum.

3 Thank singinggigi