Open today: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Book In Advance
Tours from Satoyama Experience tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!

Ways to Experience Satoyama Experience
from $45.00
from $68.50
from $44.10
from $44.10
More Info
All reviews cycling tour hida furukawa rice fields bike ride mountain bikes rural japan great cycling beautiful countryside japanese countryside tea break spring water private tour great guide enthusiastic guide great afternoon fresh mountain back roads
Reviewed June 29, 2015

We took a 2 week family trip to Japan, and all 4 of us agreed that cycling with Hiro thru Satoyama Cycling was a definite highlight! We stayed in Takayama, and it was an easy train ride in the morning to Furukawa, and then a pleasant walk thru the town to Satoyama Cycling where we were warmly greeted by the staff. Our cycling guide, Hiro, was simply amazing! He was fun, enthusiastic and incredibly knowledgeable. We cycled for 4 hours through the countryside, and enjoyed every minute of it. Our cycling pace was perfect for us adults and for our children (ages 10 and 12) as well. The views were gorgeous, and we saw things we never would have on our own. Stopping about one-third along the way at a natural spring where locals also come to fill their jugs for home consumption, we happily drank the cool water and refilled our water bottles. Mid-way, Hiro took us to a store where we purchased local treats which was perfect timing for re-energizing. Still later, Hiro provided us with yummy crackers and tea while sitting and overlooking the river. We were sad to see our ride come to an end, and even sadder to say goodbye to Hiro. We very highly recommend Satoyama Experience to anyone!

Date of experience: June 2015
SATOYAMA_EXPERIENCE, Guide at Satoyama Experience, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2015

Spending time with you and your family is the most memorial day in my cycling tour. I feel so lucky to meet you and show you around Hida-Takayama. I appreciate you joining to our cycling tour and spend time with SATOYAMA EXPERIENCE.
I am so happy to hear you having great time through our cycling tour and enjoy meeting a lot of locals. Actually, they and I are happier to get to know you because you all keep smiling and are very friendly and kind. I really wish we have any chance to see again and cycling together. Please let me know if you have another chance to come back. I always welcome you back and am very looking forward to show you more and more about beautiful landscape and view here.
Again, thank you so much for joining to our cycling tour from SATOYAMA EXPERIENCE.

Reviewed June 26, 2015

We had an amazing day cycling with Satoyama. The guide, Hiro, was excellent! So informative and friendly and he also helped us out a lot with other recommendations for things to do in the area. The scenery was beautiful - cycling was a great way to enjoy the area.

Date of experience: June 2015

It was such a great meeting with you through our cycling tour from SATOYAMA EXPERIENCE.
And thank you so much for writing very kind message for us here. I am very happy to get to know you having great time in Hida-Takayama.
You are very friendly and keep smiling during tour which I am very happy to cycle together. Also sharing Hida culture and history with you and you telling me your story and experience give me huge pleasure. I appreciate you so much.
Please let me know if you have another chance to come back. I am looking forward to seeing you again!!!! Domo-Arigato-Gozaimasu!!!!

Reviewed June 24, 2015

This was such a great activity. We were booked into the 4 hour cycle tour, which ended up being a group of 5 (us and 3 from another party).
Hiro, our tour guide was brilliant! He was so friendly and informative it made the tour really enjoyable. He was easy to chat to and very helpful with his restaurant recommendations for when we returned to Takayama!
The tour itself was very gentle and lovely out in the sunshine. Our stops including the rice paddys, a local farm, a local farmers house plus a drink and snack (with fresh spring water) over amazing views!
I wish we'd have done a longer tour to make the experience longer!
Thanks to everyone at Satoyama!

Date of experience: May 2015
1  Thank KayT28_10

Konnichiwa!
Thank you so much for joining to our cycling tour, and thank you for writing a comment here. I am very happy to meet you and hear you enjoy our cycling tour in this small countryside, Hida.
Each season has different views, and I wish you can come back and we can cycling together again. Please let me know when you have another chance to visit here. I am very looking forward to seeing you and showing you more this region.
Domo-Arigato-Gozaimasu!

Reviewed June 22, 2015 via mobile

It was a fantastic tour! The guide, Shiraishi san took us to the street of the old house and rural area and explained the history, custom of HIDA in detail. Additionally, in the middle of rice field, he let us notice the sound of birds, insects, wind in nature...we're surprised and found the beauty of Japanese rural area. I'd like to go there and try standard tour there for 4 seasons. Thank you so much, Shiraishi san!

1  Thank 316xun
SATOYAMA_EXPERIENCE, マネージャー at Satoyama Experience, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2015

Thank you so much such a warm review!
It was a bit rainy but a great day to bike around the town. I am really glad to know you really enjoyed cycling tour. I I also had such great time to show you the beautiful nature and landscape.

I hope you will have another chance to come over and see the countryside in different seasons.
Again, thank you so much for coming to Hida and joining to our cycling tour.

Shiraishi

Reviewed June 21, 2015

If you are looking for a more active way to view Hida, Furukawa, this is the perfect way. Hiro, our very informative guide, was able to make the biking experience not only relaxing but very interactive. We had a wonderful time sharing personal stories and just being in each other's presence. I highly recommend the Satoyama Experience!!

1  Thank Chiaki-chan

Hello!!!

You are very sweet to write very kind comment to us, SATOYAMA EXPERIENCE.
I am so happy to know you have great time to cycle in a rural area, Hida-Takayama. I also had such a wonderful meeting with you and your brother. You share a lot of stories and experience which make me really interested to listening. And you both keeping smiling makes me so happy to be with you. I wish we have another chance to bike together, and please let me know when you have another chance to come back.

Again thank you so much for writing the message and joining to our cycling tour.