“Great cycling tour”

Takayama Food and Culture Walking Day Tour
$44.77*
Short Bike Tour of Hida
More attraction details
Owner description: We have many programs in which you can experience rural culture and history inherited in satoyama. Especially, HIDA SATOYAMA CYCLING, ART & CULTURE, TOWN & VILLAGE WALK are very popular guided tours in HIDA-TAKAYAMA!Please enjoy the special time you can have only here through the tours connecting daily lives of local people with your travel.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Great cycling tour”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Did the whole day tour in Oct 2013.
The route was great, absolutely beautiful.
Misa our guide was trying to explain as much as possible and also keeping the group together.
I would recommend this tour to everyone - my only feedback would be that for the price (which is slightly steep) of the day tour I would request them to improve the quality of lunch provided.

Visited October 2013
satoyama, マネージャー at Satoyama Experience, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Thank you very much for joining in a Ride and Hike tour.
We really appreciate your feedback. We will think about what we can do to improve the tour.

I hope you will come back and try other tours in different seasons.

Thank you.

• Polish first
Bangkok, Thailand
109 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 150 helpful votes
“Incredible tour of the snow country!”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We met the lovely people at Hida Satoyama Cycling through their Rural Japan Explorer website www.rural-japan.com and they helped arrange a wonderful, mostly self-guided tour for us in the Japanese Alps.
We started with some serious pampering in a beautiful, old ryokan at Fukuji Onsen - who knew lazing in a hot spring bath amidst snow covered mountains and forests, waiting for amazing meals could be so much fun!
Then on to Takayama and another great ryokan. While there we also did a day trip to Hida Furukawa. Hisa gave us a fascinating tour of the carpentry museum and the town's old houses and temples. We enjoyed learning about the traditional crafts and festivals (and he kindly didn't mention that we delayed his lunch for over an hour with all our questions!
After that we left for Shirakawa-go's incredibly picturesque thatched houses deep in a snowy valley and from there on to Kanazawa. Our only regret was not staying longer.
Shiho, Hisa and Mayumi arranged everything perfectly and were happy to give us lots of advice and assistance with ways to pass our days at each place. They booked great places to stay and got us excellent seats on trains and buses, including the trips to and from Tokyo.

We're definitely planning to go back and try the cycling tours they offer!

Visited January 2014
Thank you very much for your great review.
You mentioned all the things we did for you. I'm really happy to hear that you enjoyed what we organised. Seeing the mountains withe deep snow and soaking the body in onsen at the old ryokan sound so good.
I enjoyed taking you for the walking tour in the town and showing what the town had. Answering all the questions was a part of my work, so it wasn't a problem for me to have lunch late.

There are so much to see in Hida region. Winter is one of the beautiful time of the year, but other seasons are also great, too. I hope you will get a chance to come back.

I'll look forward to taking you for a cycling tour next time.

Thank you very much for taking time to write this review.

Singapore, Singapore
“Half-day cycling (PM, Winter)”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Due to clear skies, the afternoon was not too cold while we cycled, through the town, and out into the fields. The snow-covered fields were really beautiful. Our tour guide was friendly and knowledgeable, sharing with us on topics ranging from agriculture to architecture in the town. I recommend this for those who are looking for a taste of Japan's countryside scenery, as well as those who love wide, open, and tranquil spaces. The pace was easy, as this is their short program meant for families. They do offer longer and more challenging tour options for those who want them.

Visited December 2013
satoyama, マネージャー at Satoyama Experience, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Thank you very much for joining us.
Once it start to snow, it's difficult for us to do cycling tours, but you were very lucky. The day we went out had clear blue skies and no snow on the roads. It's just fantastic to enjoy winter scenery of the Hida countryside.
I'm really happy to know you had a great time.
We hope you will come back and try other tours next time.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Nice way to spend a morning”
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Stayed in Takayma for a night and read the reviews on this Cycling tour. The customer service was amazing. We could only do the short tour due to snow over the road and the organisers were up front about this from the start.

Having only seen snow twice before coming to Japan we really loved being able to experience this trip. The staff were amazing and helped us out no end in getting a really cool tour in, grabbing lunch and getting to the train in time.

If you want to escape the hustle and bustle of the bigger towns and see nature in all its raw beauty then (especially during winter) then make sure you have some warm clothes and do this tour.

Visited December 2013
satoyama, Guide at Satoyama Experience, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you so much for your comment. It is very nice to know you enjoyed with our cycling tour.
It was really cold day though, I was really happy to show you beautiful and very seasonal scenery around this region.
Even in this a month, each scenery has been changed day by day. It get colder and colder...
Please come back here again in different season next time so that you can see different things!
Thank you so much again for joining us. Hope to see you again!
Misa
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Local insights into Japanese culture”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

My husband and I were lucky enough to spend the afternoon as a group of 2 with Hisa touring around Hida-Furukawa district on well maintained bicycles. We learnt (amongst other things) about the preparations for winter in this very snowy district, sake making, persimmon preserving, Hida beef and religious shrines. Hisa was very friendly and answered questions that we had stored up from previous days in Japan. His English was exceptional. The bike ride was at our pace and we were able to stop or go as we wished. On the way, we met some locals who were happy to chat with us. The whole tour was unhurried, informative and one of the highlights of our stay in Japan. We recommend this to others travelling around Takayama.

Visited December 2013
satoyama, マネージャー at Satoyama Experience, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Thank you very much for your review.
I'm so glad to know that you enjoyed the tour with me so much. Although it's getting colder for cycling, it's good time to see how things around here are getting changed. The preparations for winter is a big thing for locals.
I'm always happy to answer the questions foreigners often have. That's why I'm here and work as a guide. I encourage our customers to meet locals and talk with them. It's great to know you enjoyed meeting them .
I hope you will come back and see the differences in other seasons.

Thank you for taking your time to write this.