All reviews red bridge sushi hida beef old town wanted breakfast room staff beautiful river view building next door train station perfect ryokan kaiseki dinner room facing half board great japanese experience comfort zone breakfast is served tatami mats
Selected filters
Reviewed April 10, 2019

Immaculately clean with polite, excellent service. The food we were served in our room was excellent. Tasty and fantastically presented. The breakfast was extremely good too down in their dining room. Our first Onsen experience up on the top floor was really good too. Totally out of my comfort zone but had to be done! Great location for strolling into the old town. Can’t fault it.

Date of stay: April 2019
Reviewed April 5, 2019

We loved Takayama, so much and the town really surprised us with how friendly and kind everyone was - even more-so in the hotel.

This was our first Ryokan experience and it really was amazing, the Kaiseki on the first night was delicious and on our second night we opted for the sushi bar. (I want to review the sushi bar separately but cant find them on trip adviser)

That sushi is the best sushi we had in the whole of Japan, it was delicious - the service and hospitality was amazing also.

Breakfast is served in a dining room over looking the river - i opted Japanese breakfast and have 0 regrets.

My only bad point was our room overlooked the front car park so we didn't get the beautiful river view out the back - but that wasn't a problem!

Date of stay: March 2019
Reviewed February 23, 2019

So I don't much like Japanese accommodation. I don't like futons - they hurt my back. I don't like the low tables and chairs - I find them uncomfortable. I really don't like kaiseki for breakfast or dinner as it always has a fish staring at me or some kind of creature that I don't recognize.

So with that said this was a decent place to stay. It's totally Japanese style and if you're down with that then you'll be golden.

I didn't eat any of the food - that doesn't mean it wasn't good - it just means that it was outside my comfort zone.

The people are friendly and helpful to a tee and the location can't be beat.

Date of stay: February 2019
Reviewed January 24, 2019 via mobile

Stayed in this hotel few years back and at that time everything was good hence we decided to come back and stay at the same hotel. Disappointment with the hotel food - it was not as delicious esp the Hida beef ! Also I wrote 3 emails as per the hotel website instruction to arranged for pickup but there’s not a single email to confirm! We still catch the shuttle as my husband email via the hotel booking site.
The staff was still as helpful !
Just maybe the hotel should block a separate room for those customers with tour group for breakfast - the noise is extreme and you can’t enjoy the quiet moment for breakfast with the snowy scenery outside .. it’s a pity!

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for a night in December as a base for visiting Shirakawago. The ryokan’s location is perfect! It is located right next to the morning market and old town, where you will spend most of your time at. We could easily walk to all the famous eats and restaurants and all 6 sake breweries from the ryokan. The ryokan is an approx 10 mins walk from the JR Takayama Station, but they do offer free shuttle to and fro the JR Takayama Station which we were really thankful for! So, do email them ahead of your arrival for them to make the necessary arrangements. Also, if you book a half day tour to Shirakawago through isite, the tour guide/bus can pick you up directly from the ryokan (instead of the train station).

The ryokan was cosy and clean, and had amazing views of the river and the old town. Staff was polite and helpful. We had dinner in our room which was sufficient but honestly, quite average and could probably be improved quality wise. For breakfast, they offer continental and Japanese options but I’d suggest you go for the Japanese one which was thoroughly enjoyable.

The only downside I can think of is that the ryokan has no private onsens and the only outdoor onsen available is for men. While the ladies have two good onsen options, none was outdoor, which I typically prefer.

Overall, I thought this was a great ryokan with a winning location. Highly recommend!

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple