“Dining highlight of our trip.”
Review of Heianraku

Heianraku
Ranked #1 of 1,029 Restaurants in Takayama
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We don't have a beef. We served chinese & local dishes. Cooking can correspond to vegetarian, vegan, various allergies.
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

We stumbled across this restaurant and loved it. The owners were welcoming and the food was beautiful, with plenty of fresh veges. We enjoyed dinner sets, gyoza and noodle soups. Service was warm and prompt. My husband and I tried the local sake tasting plate and the kids were presented with a nutella dip served with biscuit sticks and an origami ninja star at the end of the meal. The dining highlight of our Japan trip so far.

1  Thank amp1801

Reviewed September 21, 2013

I am gluten free and had a little trouble avoiding soy sauce in Japan, but this restaurant was exactly what I needed. The staff spoke English and understood my gluten free request. The food was gluten free and delicious! I was so glad we went.

2  Thank MountainSunMoon
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I was really happy to come by this place since I found no other open restaurant in Takayama serving vegetarian/vegan option.The food was great and the restaurant had a very cozy and welcoming atmosphere. The owners were very sweet and I got to try some different treats every time I was there. Look for the Kobunji temple and you find Heianraku opposite.

3  Thank Galxy
Reviewed June 7, 2013

After ambling our way around Takayama on our first night, getting lost, and almost giving up on finding a decent place to eat, we were lucky enough to stumble upon Hei An Raku. A happy accident indeed!

A great vegetarian / vegan menu sits alongside other meal options, and there is a choice of dining traditionally on tatami mats, or sitting at the counter (we tried both options during our stay). The restaurant isn't big, but we had no trouble finding a seat the two times we dined there.

The hosts are welcoming and warm, and made us feel very much at home. For those with limited Japanese language skills, you'll do fine here - there in an English menu and English is spoken.

My recommendation is for the tofu steak (and the homemade ginger ale) ... delicious!!

1  Thank Tracey S
Reviewed April 20, 2013

We accidentally found this fantastic restaurant, it is small and very reasonably price, but had great food and had both meat and vegetarian options. From hot towels on arrival, to sake samples - the hospitality was fantastic.

1  Thank IntrepidTravellersOZ