“Fantastic Hida steak”

Dining options: Reservations
London
“Fantastic Hida steak”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was our treat for the last night of our stay in Takayama. We had eaten Hida beef sushi, skewers and stirfry from various cafes and street food vendors, but to eat a real steak of it was by far the best. The restaurant is not a budget option, but they do have some special deals where you get soup of the day, gelato and coffee included in the normal cost of a fillet steak. I had this option while my other half had a sirloin. Both came with ample vegetables on the plate, so although the food was not cheap, it was plenty to eat.
The food is fantastic, the steak was so tasty, the fat running through it (Hida beef is marbled with fat) just melts away. If we had eaten here on our first night I think we would have come back again the next.
I highly recommend for a Hida beef steak meal. Worth the money for sure.

• Visited March 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Ayase, Japan
“Wonderful meal of local ingredients”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I was traveling solo and looking for somewhere to eat. I usually try to eat local so I almost walked by Le Midi due to its French name. I stopped and saw they had a menu highlighting local ingredients and decided to give it a shot. Boy am I glad I did!

The ambiance is wonderful. Felt like I was in a traditional French bistro. Smooth jazz was playing in the background and the staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating. They had a good wine list so I decided to start with a glass of good French red wine as I reviewed the menu.

I decided to go with the set dinner menu that included the appetizer of the day (pears with cured ham and black pepper), their famous dish hamburg and dessert. The hamburg was made using the local Hida beef. I had never had Japanese hamburg like this as it was stacked. It was delicious. The dessert was the pumpkin pudding with the black honey (similar to blackstrap molasses) that is popular in the area. Every dish was perfectly timed and beautifully presented.

I am planning a trip back to Takayama this year and I will definitely be returning to this restaurant. Great food, great ambiance and great service!

• Visited October 2012
Singapore
“World best beef”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

In Hida beef country, we simply had to go look for a good piece of steak even though our ryokan had served us a Hida beef kaiseki meal on our first night. We found it in Le Midi which the ryokan staff recommended, as serving Hida beef a la French style. And were we glad we were not sidetracked by other tempting-looking restaurants along the way.

We got in ahead of the lunch crowd, thankfully. I ordered a top grade cut from their value-for-money set lunch menu, and my husband had their hida beef cheek. Both were to die for, due to their melt-in-your mouth quality. My husband also had to have their signature pumpkin custard lovingly coated in a brown sugar syrup. It topped off an altogether exquisite meal, and we told ourselves this French-Japanese fusion bistro would be a good reason for us to return to this quaint town.

The chef is Japanese, his wife makes a good hostess and the staff are pleasant and able to somewhat converse in English. From the wife we learnt that they had started off with an Italian pasta cafe, which they still operate across the road from where they are. The restaurant is easy to locate, nearer the Jinya Mae part of the town. Any local will be able to point the way. We were glad we tracked it down. Till today my husband still raves about this particular dining experience when we tell friends about our trip.

• Visited January 2013
Diamond Bar, California
“Holy freaking amazing Hida beef”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Had the A4 filet as well as the "Tobi" cut for comparison. The A4 is as good or better than any of the best steaks available in top US steakhouses. The Tobi cut was in a league of it's own. It was good to the point where it makes you want to cry (because another taste would require a flight to Japan, and a 5 hr train ride into Takayama). I had to ask my husband several times, "is that beef? holy moley, is that really beef?" I've never had steak that good in all my life, and doubt I will ever have another that good until I return to Takayama.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank VtDub
Charleston, South Carolina
“Unbelievable Food!!”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

It is a gem of a restaurant! We were lucky enough to walk in without a reservation on a Sunday for lunch! This little restaurant has such a huge assortment of things to pick, it's unbelievable. We wanted to try the Hida Beef-but when observing other dinner plates, decided to also order the pork loin as well, and share. We did order from the set menu, which was really the best value.EVERYTHING was absolutely delicious! The presentation was gorgeous-but the taste was suberb! At the end, we had a pumpkin custard that was served warm in a 4oz small glass baking "pot" with a small amt of maple syrup drizzled over it. Unbelievable "wow" kind of taste! (They were also selling those from a side window of the restaurant for the locals at breakneck speed,with a line down the street, for 400yen!) Apparently the chef makes 6 different custard desserts/yr, and this was the fall choice, as it was labeled #5/2012. The staff was very diligent and helpful-and the price was great for what we ate! Probably the best meal we ate in all of Japan in 15 days!! Superb! The restaurant is quite small, so if you go during a busier season, I would recommend a reservation.

• Visited September 2012