“Nice ryokan but a bit cold in winter!”

Hodakaso Yamanoiori
Ranked #30 of 174 Hotels / Ryokan in Takayama
Pully, Switzerland
“Nice ryokan but a bit cold in winter!”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed one night at the ryokan Hodakaso Yamanoiori, and we had a contrasted experience. It was nice to stay in a place with a local Japanese touch, and location and service were quite good. However we cannot help but mention that the room was only partially heated (in particular, in our room, the bathroom and shower were not) and with the cold temperatures we experienced, it was a bit of a pain! On the other hand, we can imagine that in spring and fall, this part of the room, which opens on a small indoor patio, must be really nice.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Location: Fantastic location. It's only a 5 - 8 mins walking distance from Takayama station. The Nohi bus terminal to Shirakawago and Kanazawa is just beside the Takayama station. It is located in the centre of Takayama, you can walk to most major tourist spots easily.

Room: I choose a Japanese futon bedroom. It's big. The toilet and bathroom is separated from the bedroom and because of this, the air from the heater (in the bedroom) cannot reach another side. This makes the toilet and bathroom very cold.

Staff: Most of them are at least 40 or maybe 50 years old. They can only speak minimal English. I asked the pocket wifi company to send the device to Hodakaso as I had no time to collect it from airport. I wrote a few emails (Japanese and English) to Hodakaso and no reply from them at all. End up I asked booking.com to pass my message to them.

Dining: We opt for half board option. We love the dinner and traditional japanese breakfast so much. It's delicious.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Hodakaso Yamano Iori was a lovely place to stay in Takayama. It was only a short walk from the train station. The ladies at the front desk were kind and helpful. It helped I can speak Japanese, but the group we travelled with (9 others) had no issues getting by.

We had an couple travelling with us who had hip problems so getting up from a futon would have been a challenge, so I had booked the western bedding - low style western beds which were manageable, but still quite low. All of our guests were happy with their rooms. Each room has a different layout and slightly different sizes. Some had a separate sitting area with tables and chairs whereas others had a table and floor chairs within the room its self, making the room less spacious.

The bathrooms were a little dated as some previous reviews mentioned, but still functional and clean. Some rooms do not have a bath/shower so the public bath must be used instead. The showers in the public bath a very close to one another so it is very intimate if there are a lot of people but the times I went in I was alone. Take your towel from your room.

The breakfast was delicious, hot miso soup, rice, meat and a few other things. There was also a western choice with salad, egg, soup, and other bits and pieces. So more of a Western style Japanese meal rather than your typical Western meal.

The labelled shoe spots and names on the front board were a nice touch which made everyone feel welcome. All of the people I travelled with thoroughly enjoyed their first experience in a Japanese Ryokan here. No one wanted to move on!!

Room Tip: Ask for a western style bed if a futon is difficult for you. Rooms with the separate sitting area a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed December 9, 2013

This was my 2nd stay in hodakaso yamanoiori, which is the our favourite hotel in Japan after 2 trips. Our first stay was in May2012. We purposely make a detour after our Nagano trip before heading to Nagoya and spent one night there, as my hubby cannot forget the Hida beef kaiseki dinner in the ryokan. A treat from me to him then... =)

This time I stayed in room 206, a newer/bigger room compared to last year. From the window, we can see a small garden/pond located downstair. As usual, the room was lovely decorated in a traditional japanese way, except the modern TV which slightly spoil the mood.

The dinner was as nice as last year, even though the portion is slightly lesser than last year. =(
Breakfast was slightly different from last year, but as good.
Hotspring was a luxury in a 1C degree weather outside.
Futon was nicely setup after we are back from our dinner. In fact, both my husband and I found sleeping on futon are even more comfortable than sleeping on mattress.

The receptionist and all the obasama in the ryokan cannot really speak in english, but however, when they found that it was my 2nd time staying there, I was welcomed in a very homely way by all the staff there.

What surprise me the most was the lovely way they sent us off this time. The obasama who served breakfast for us gave myself a very big bear hug and hold my hands tightly, saying "arigato" to me a few times, and both the reception ojisama and the obasama walk us out from the ryokan to the traffic light outside the JR Takayama station. So touched!!

This is definitely not going to be our last stay in the ryokan. We will definitely come back for sure in our next trip.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Joebaby21
Boston
Reviewed December 4, 2013

If you must have a ryokan experience, be prepared for "ups and downs"(literally) as you have to arise from the floor many times. I personally don't mind sleeping on the floor as I'm used to using a floor mat or rug when visiting relatives due to my lower back issues. However, trying to sit, relax and eat on a floor-based cushion with an attached chair back proved difficult.

Room was very clean, temperature control was good with nice bed comforters. Room fridge was a real plus for breakfast. The onsen was small, clean and adaquate but nothing special.

Although WiFi was supposed to be available in the lobby only, I was able to get it in our room located above the office/reception area.

Staff were quite pleasant. The language barrier was more of an obstacle than at other hotels used during our 3 weeks in Japan. It was less of a problem with some desk staff than others.

The excellent location facilitated our easily undertaking our sight-seeing agenda and dinners out. It was an easy 5 minute walk from the train station.

Please note that the shower had rapid, extreme temperature fluctuations. I opted to use the large tub which also was a source of relaxation.

Would have preferred a one instead of two night stay but am still glad I have had the ryokan experience.

Room Tip: You might be able to receive WiFi in your room if yours is above the office/reception area.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tennismaine
Vancouver
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Every persons trip to Japan should include a Ryokan experience.
We stayed here in October 2013 for 2 nights. The location is excellent, close to the main street in Takayama and a short walk to the station.

Our corner room was huge with two balconies. We found staying in a ryokan quite uncomfortable as there is little to no furniture and you end up lying on your futon most of the time. Then, every time you want to stand up you have to crawl off the floor.

Breakfast is ether Japanese or Western and we tried both. Neither of which was too impressive. Raw fish and soup for breakfast just not our thing!

Overall, glad we stayed here. The ryokan experience is certainly quite different than staying in a regular hotel and all part of a memorable visit to Japan.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are very spacious.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Oldbackpack
Sheffield
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Good:
Nice public baths.
Good value for money.
Central location.
Nice rooms and beds.

Bad:
Needs some refurbishment in public areas.

Price/quality ratio was better than the other inn we stayed in, in Takayama.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Addscot