All reviews warm hospitality front desk in addition cormorant fishing the river pot fireworks ryokan history onsen japan
Selected filters
Reviewed November 12, 2018

We paid JPY 32000 (USD 280, CAD 370, EUR 250, GBP 220, AUD 390) for this room.

This price is way too high for the poor quality room they provided with very little else to justify the cost.

The room was very small and could only fit two futons however the advert said would sleep up to four persons. We planned to sit and enjoy a drink on the tatami but there was no space in the room.

The advert said the room had a bath, a shower and 'private bathroom'. We booked this hotel based on the review on bookings.com that said that there was an 'open air private bath in in the room. -- Please check the reviews - We also were on the 7th floor.

THIS ROOM HAD A BATH ROOM THAT WAS SMALLER THAN MOST BUSINESS HOTELS. And of equal or worse quality. You know, that depressing plastic capsule bathroom you get in low cost hotels. Just like that.

There was dust all over the fixtures on the ceiling in the room and the faux eaves next to the elevator on the 7th floor were so badly caked in dust I don't imaging they have been dusted since the SHOWA period (Showa ended in 1989).

The attached photo is of the view.

Keep in mind this is OUT OF SEASON = NO UKAI / CORMORANT FISHING which is basically the primary attraction for this hotel and area.

I feel this hotel has misled us entirely in its advertising, over priced the room and grossly under delivered on expectations.

I've given 5* to every Ryokan I've been to in Japan until this. And we've stayed at many over the years. For every one has honestly deserved it.

Juhachiro deserves a minus 1 ( -1* ) for misleading guests and overpricing a tiny, dirty and tired excuse for a room.

The management of this hotel should be ashamed.

失礼です!SHITSURE DESU!

Room tip: Avoid all rooms - Find another hotel on Nagara River.
Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Todd M
Reviewed September 2, 2018 via mobile

I like to speak of a bad experience with Mr. Hattori, a front desk staff, who had spoiled all the hard work of other staffs has done.
He is NOT helpful and honest at all.

My flight is on the 18th(Sat) at 10:30am. So I asked if I could have an early breakfast at around 6:45am (normally starts at 7am)which he said that is not possible at all. In addition, he requested us to check out the night before because there won’t be any check out staffs in that time. I told him that we could settle the account at the time we check-in which he refused.

The fact is:
- I saw a guy checked out at 6:30am in the front desk when I brought down my luggage.
- There is loads of people having breakfast at 6:45am.

I just wonder if this is called a GOOD SERVICE????

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank jchik8
Reviewed June 21, 2018 via mobile

This was our 4th place of stay during this trip to Japan and I LOVED it. Gorgeous looking old style neighborhood, INCREDIBLE hospitality —going above and beyond ...Good food...Excellent rooms—They take the concept of the tatami-style rooms and dress it all up a bit to be very, very nice and super comfortable too !
I’d go back !

Date of stay: June 2018
1  Thank andrewg818
Reviewed May 12, 2018 via mobile

Room: Comfortable, clean and well kept. The room had tea leaves, tea pot, hot water pot as well as daily light snacks which pleased my old folks.

Food: Hotel's breakfast was good - in variety and quality.

Service: Warm hospitality & all staff demonstrated service excellence.

It was really amazing waking up to the Nagara River gushing and birds nearby chirping. I could just chill and stare out at the river all day. The air was cold, fresh and crisp, a contrast from the city's.
Along the streets nearby (4-8min walk), there are restaurants and cafes so there's no way one can't find food.

We came specially for the Ukai (1st day) and it was really eye-opening, especially the fireworks which must have lasted for almost 10 minutes!
A special thanks to Mr Takahara & his crew member who helped my parents up and down the boat and paid attention as well as helped my dad when he left the boat to visit the washroom.

Last but not least, what equally impressed us was the hotel staff's warm hospitality which exudes sincerity and thoughtfulness at every moment possible. Though the hotel looks dated, it is well kept and add in the great service - it is not hard to see why this 150 year old ryokan remains top notch in many aspects. If possible, I hope to return in the future, for the closing of the Ukai Festival!

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2018 via mobile

We happened upon Gifu as a stopover on our travels. What a surprise to find such a gorgeous old town full of history and culture.
Gifu Castle on the hilltop was a challenging hike up but worth the effort. There is a cable car too
Juhachiro was a delightful Hotel. The onsen are spectacular and wonderful after our day’s exertions. We chose the half board option. The meal was delicious but served in our room.

We hope to return in the summer to see the cormorants fishing at night. The pictures look spectacular

Date of stay: March 2018