“Neat and convenient” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 163 Hotels / Ryokan in Nagoya
Helsinki, Finland
“Neat and convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

The location is very convenient: several department stores are just on the opposite side of the park and 2 blocks from the subway. We arrived by train and took taxi (10 minutes ride) from the station but went back using the subway. Overall I quite enjoyed Nagoya after spending some time in the very touristic Kyoto (we were in Japan during the Sakura season).

The city feels authentic and lively, but it's still relatively compact compared to for example Tokyo.

The hotel itself is pretty standard and it aimed towards business travelers and people who don't aim to spend a lot of time in the hotel. The rooms are quite small and plain. Receptionists spoke pretty fluent English and were very helpful (for example recommended a very good and affordable sushi place nearby).

The lobby was actually quite nice and they offer complimentary drinks and Wi-Fi there. Breakfast was also a positive surprise with decent Japanese and European offering.
We paid around 82 EUR per night and think it was definitely worth it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Janne_hki
IshinHotelsWest, マネージャー at the b nagoya, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for you for your positive comment on our hotel.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Nagoya. Our hotel focuses on providing a comfortable space for our guest to come back and relax during their visit to this fascinating city Nagoya.

We all hope you will come back again and stay with us.
Again, thank you for the time to review the b nagoya.

Best regards,
Kunio Saiki
Hotel Manager
the b nagoya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed here end of Sep/early Oct and like many of you I have been reading tripadvisor reviews before going to the hotel to understand what I would be expecting. Certain photos posted left me the impression that the rooms were relatively spacious. However upon arrival, we were given a very compact (Tokyo?) sized hotel room where there is only room to walk and the two beds put together against the wall.

If you're planning to bring a big suitcase for your trip perhaps you may need to request/book a bigger room.

Other than that, the staff were courteous. Although most of their appeared to speak acceptable fluency of English, they might have had trouble interpreting our request and changed our room with our belongings moved without us being informed (a different working cultures I suppose?). It wasn't a big deal for us nor were we upset, but it certainly surprised us a little.

The location is good. It's opposite to many department stores and near to some of the main shopping places and just 2 stops to Nagoya Station. There is a convenience store just downstairs so you will never be starved (we were there during a typhoon!)

Will I stay again? Hmm... gotta think that through.

Room Tip: Non-smokers, make sure you state that you want a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
齋木 国夫, 支配人 at the b nagoya, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for the time to review the b nagoya.

Our hotel offers 3 types - single, double and twin rooms. One of our hotel's concept is to provide our customers a bed room for comfortable and relaxing sleep, so the size of the bed(s) in guest rooms are all semi-double (W1200mm) or larger ones. This arrangement may result in smaller free area in a room. The sizes of the rooms are on our HP. Please refer to this information for your reference. We would appreciate your understanding. Thank you.

As for the room change arrangement, I sincerely apologize for miscommunication by our staff. We do inform our house guests in advance if our staff is to move their luggage. I have advised all staff to ensure this would not happen again.

Thank you again for your precious comment.

Best regards,
Kunio Saiki
Hotel Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Walking distance of Metro station this business hotel is in a good location. The staff were very helpful with good English. Room very small but clean. The laundry room is very useful if you are on a long trip. The washer/driers can be programmed for a 4 hour cycle allowing you to see the sights of Nagoya. We used the luggage forwarding service throughout Japan, £12 for one medium suitcase, very useful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
齋木 国夫, 営業ディレクター at the b nagoya, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review "the b nagoya".

All of our b hotels are in good locations offering great access to the most of attractions and restaurants in the area. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay at the b nagoya.

We provide a variety of services to make your stay comfortable including the laundry room you mentioned, coffee station and internet corner in the lobby etc. And as you highlighted, we also assist to arrange the delivery service (Takkyu-bin) which is now one of the well-received services in Japan among travelers with many/heavy luggage.

We hope you will be back and stay with us again.

Y. Saito
on behalf of Managing Director
West Japan Cluster
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I was a guest at The B Nagoya for two nights recently and I was very satisfied with it. The rooms were large, clean and comfortable. They staff were very helpful (helped me ship my luggage to Narita and stored some other bags) and spoke English well. The internet service (wired) was fast and effective. The hotel also has a Lawson convenience store in the basement. The Nagoya subway is about 2 blocks away.

The hotel could stand to renovate their bathrooms. I stayed in two different rooms and both of them had pitted sinks in the bathroom...it wasn't a huge issue because the bathrooms were clean but seemed out of place in this otherwise nice hotel.

I would still recommend this hotel. I thought it was a good value in a good location.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
ishinwj, Manager at the b nagoya, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review "the b nagoya".

We are pleased you found the hotel suitable for your stay in Nagoya. As you have highlighted, the hotel is only a short walk from the Nagoya subway line that connects directly with the Bullet Train station. The hotel also is ideally located for shopping, dining and entertainment.

We appreciate your feedback on the bathrooms and we are currently working through a plan to refurbish the bathrooms.

Again, thank you for your positive feedback.

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We stayed at The b Nagoya Hotel on two occasions and we had a fantastic stay.

Good and friendly service, very clean rooms, very comfortable bed, good internet connection (cable, no wifi), free wifi and internet service in the reception area including free tea and coffee, the laundry service (3 washing machines available) was good and cheap too. The offered body soap, shampoo and conditioner were shisheido products (= very good quality).

The hotel is only two subway stations away from Nagoya main train station and 3 minutes away by walk from the subway station „Sakae“. The location was perfect as it was centrally located and close to restaurants and shops.

Of course, the bed and bathroom were small but that's how the hotel rooms are in Japan. ;-)

They offered the nicest bedrooms we’ve seen in our 4 weeks in Japan. Two thumbs up for The b Nagoya Hotel!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better view and more day light.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ishinwj, Manager at the b nagoya, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review "the b nagoya" and thank you for the "two thumbs up"!

We are very pleased you found our hotel to be the best business hotel during your 4 week visit to Japan.

As you have highlighted, the hotel is ideally located in the main shopping, entertainment and dining district of Nagoya. Its also only a short walk to the subway station, 2 stations from the main Nagoya Bullet train station.

Our "b" hotels across Japan offer free internet in the guest rooms (wired) and free wireless internet in the hotel lobbies. We also offer complimentary coffee in all hotel lobbies.

Again, thank you for your great review.

Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

The B Nagoya seems relatively new. It's really clean and the customer service is good. The rooms are small but not as small as some Japanese hotels can be and is wasn't sterile. It had a nice cozy and modern vibe going on. We only stayed there for a night as we were in town for a sumo match, but if I ever went back to Nagoya, I'd stay there again. Another major plus is that this place is near a couple of malls and several department stores and two blocks from the train station, which was two stops away from Nagoya station (the main station where you can catch other trains, as well as the shinkansen). The breakfast was also good. They offered a nice buffet of Japanese and Western style offerings. I would have given this place five stars but the only thing I didn't like was that I had to travel to the lobby in order to use the wifi. There is no access in the rooms. But that's a small set back though.

Room Tip: The corner rooms tend to have more space.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ishinwj, Manager at the b nagoya, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review "the b nagoya".

We are very happy you enjoyed the "vibe" of our hotel, and this concept and atmosphere is shared across all of our "b" hotels across Japan.

As you have highlighted, the hotel is located directly across from major shopping malls and a short walk to the subway station.

We do offer wired internet connectivity in all guest rooms with no charge and wireless is also free in the lobby.

Again, thank you for your positive review.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

I chose this hotel based on its location (2 subway stops from Nagoya station, and also because of good reviews in Trip Advisor). I followed the hotel's directions when I took the subway, and asked for help at the ticket barrier when I couldn't immediately see Exit 13 (of Sakae station), and was given directions. Walking down the street, the hotel signage isn't obvious - but I knew that it was on the left, and around 150 metres from the exit, and when I looked up, there was a small "b" sign. Reception is on the second floor, I took the escalator, but if you look around (try the next entrance) you'll also find elevators.

The hotel seems fairly new, so unlike in many older places, I didn't bump my head every time I walked through a doorway. My room was small, one side of my double bed was hard up against the bathroom wall, and there was about a metre between the other side and the small table along the windows. That didn't matter: the hotel expects that its guests will entertain visitors in the lobby and not the guest rooms; the bedroom is for sleeping in. There was a small fridge, but no bottled water, and so I used the jug that was provided and made green tea. The bed was comfortable and I slept well. The bathroom is small but works fine - take your time reading the instructions for the toilet - they are provided in English as well as Japanese. I enjoyed being able to take a hot bath at the end of the day - very relaxing.

I am not normally one for buying hotel breakfasts, but I recommend this one! There's not a huge range, but there's good variety, and the hot offerings changed over the two days I ate there. If breakfast isn't part of your rates, you'll need to buy a voucher at reception before going into the breakfast room on the 3rd floor. Most of the people having breakfast were Japanese business types, with a smattering of leisure travellers. I was the only westerner each time I ate there. Japanese tend to get going early - if you want a more leisurely time, go down to breakfast a bit later.

This is a business hotel and it fulfils that role well. If you want luxury, you won't get it, but if you want comfortable accommodation, this is good value.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Dundas3071
ishinwj, Manager at the b nagoya, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review "the b nagoya".

We are glad you found the hotel your liking and that access was relatively uncomplicated.

The hotel is contemporary in style and offers a breakfast selection far greater than similar hotels.

Again, thank you for your great review.