“You'll learn things you didn't know you didn't know”

Toyota Commemorative Museum of Industry and Technology
Ranked #1 of 336 things to do in Nagoya
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Larger than we originally thought, it shows both the history of Toyoda Loom and Toyota Motor Company. We learned very much and could have used more time there if we had planned it better. A bit hard to find. It's not far from the train station, but it isn't very visible. You can learn much about how loom is made and how cars work.

There are newer reviews for Toyota Commemorative Museum of Industry and Technology

Reviewed July 7, 2013

A very nice museum to visit but a time worthy place. Not suitable for a very short staying. However most of the illustrations are in Japanese. A guide with English will be very important.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I took my 11 year old son here..it was a great experience, such great explanations at each of the stations. Very well staffed. Really an interesting history.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

The Toyota Museum is a must see if you find yourself in Nagoya. When you think Toyota you naturally think cars, but when the Toyoda family started in business it was because of the textile industry and the story comes to life at this museum, not just by looking at machinery but by seeing them in operation which is different from most other Museums. We thoroughly enjoyed seeing both sections of this Museum and could have spent more time there. Thoroughly recommended. We used the tourist bus to visit this site and then went on to the Nagoya Castle, another stop on this tourist bus.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Being a car enthusiast this was one of the highlights of my trip to Japan. It was really unfortunate that I did not have the time to see the place properly. As others have said, I did not know of Toyota's history in the textile industry and any visitor could have spent hours in this section alone. Due to the time constraints I went straight to the automotive section and one is immediately taken aback by the extent & quality of the exhibits. Every section (from headlights to engine types) is presented superbly. The re-creation of his original 1936 car was extremely interesting. I was then blown away with the interactive exhibits of the car making process from engine assembly to painting booths. The very helpful assistants, who could converse in English, showed me how to operate the various displays and soon whole sections of the assembly line were operating. The operation of the welding robots was also amazing. What I couldn't work out was once they had finished that section, how did they dissemble it so it would be ready for the next demonstration. I couldn't stay long enough to find that out. The cut away models were also extremely interesting. I could have stayed here for hours. The gift shop also had some interesting, but pricey, souvenirs. If you are interested in cars, this is a must see place.