“Buisness Trip”
Review of Hotel Castle Plaza

Hotel Castle Plaza
Ranked #37 of 176 Hotels / Ryokan in Nagoya
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Close to main train station , friendly staff , English average at desk but helped me to o and get train ticket to Tokyo, standard rooms and not that good, first room was damp and AC not working , wifi code , they made a mistake and you have to drop the 1 in the code to get it to work , but cuts of very two hours, rooms clean and basic, restaurants a few in the basement, the Indian one is very good and good price for hotel, lunch was a washout , fully booked for outside people so couldn't try that, overall i would stay next time at the Marriott at the station much better standards and lunch was good,

Room Tip: upgrade to deluxe
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed May 9, 2013

My friend and I stay one night here just so we could see the Pokemon Center in Nagoya and Osu Kannon Temple. The Hotel was quite nice - very easy check-in and out. We got there too early to get into our room (which we had predicted), and the staff has transferred our luggage up to our room by the time we got back, which was very nice.
The room itself was basic, but it had a nice beauty to it, as all hotel do. We had a non-smoking room, but you could smell it in the corridors. The bathrooms were TINY and you have to step up to get into them (which was kind of weird). The windows are also small and there isn't any amazing views - but we weren't really there for a view, just to sleep. And yes there is internet in the room, but it is only for computer with LAN internet cables. It is fast internet and I was very happy to finally have some (as I didn't get it in Tokyo).
Some other good pointers:
- It was close to the JR Nagoya Station, which was the only reason we chose it, but it was still a little way away, considering we had heavy rolling bags filled with goods from Tokyo (probably our fault). The Nagoya Subway system was very efficient for us to take us to all the places we wanted to go, and there was an entranced located right outside the hotel.
- We didn't check any of the shops or restaurants, but there was a nice looking cafe right in the foyer where I imagine you could enjoy a coffee while using the wifi.
All-in-all, if you're just there for a night, or for a business trip to Nagoya - I would very much recommend this hotel. (:!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed at Castle Plaza Hotel for 1 night on our way from Tokyo to Kyoto. It's mostly what we expected--great location and small room. It served our purpose of staying near Nagoya Station for a night. Below are some of what experienced during our stay.

Location was very good. It's only a few blocks from Nagoya Station and it's on a big street directly leading to the station, so it's very easy to find (just head out East exit and walk straight). There's also a convenience store (Circle K) in the same block as the hotel.

Room was small--much smaller than the room we stayed in Tokyo even though the rate were about the same. Bathroom was also very small and a bit awkward. The bathroom floor was high and you have to take a big step up to get to the bathroom. Wall was thin. Our room was next to the elevators and we could hear some noise when the elevators were going up and down. It's not too loud though--we could still sleep through the night.

Wire internet was available from our room and they had wire available in the room.

There was a brochure of adult movies in the room, so it's not appropriate for families traveling with small children.

I didn't like the lobby. Too many people were smoking there and we could easily smell it at the moment we entered the hotel.

Staff were professional and helpful. They accommodated our late check-out request (half an hour after check-out time). However, the key card did not work after 11 a.m. (check-out time) and the new card they made for us also did not work, so after a few trips up and down, they sent someone with master key to help us so we could get our luggage and check-out.

Overall, I found Castle Plaza Hotel a decent hotel for a short stay in Nagoya especially if you want to stay near the train station. However, it might not be ideal for a longer stay or for a family vacation in Nagoya.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I only stayed for 1 night with my friend in a twin bedroom. Understanding that this is Nagoya, the rooms were small, toilets compact and windows don't open for security and safety reasons. The convenient part is that it is located VERY close to the station and there is a wedding hall at the entrance of the hotel in case you want to get married. I didn't like their Japanese tea because it was not a tea-bag but tea powder (didn't seem natural) .
The internet was cable with good speed. Only at the reception floor they have the wifi.
My non-smoking room felt like one and no other odor.
I wouldn't say it was uncomfortable stay.... but the increase in room space would help since there is no view and you might feel suffocation.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank superdoshi
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I stayed in the hotel for one night after a journey to the Gifu prefecture, Kanazawa area. The reason I chose this hotel is that there is a Toyota rental car office just next to the hotel where I can return the car easily, and close enough to the train station.

I stayed in a deluxe room which is a bit more spacious than standard room, though not really spacious. Design is modern for the room and bathroom. Reception and check in is efficient. Lobby is bright and clean. I did not dine at the hotel restaurant because there are a lot of restaurants nearby and at the train station.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 7, 2010

Good staff, but busy with all the wedding business.

A lot of foreign guests. Unfortunately some of the Chinese were smoking on the non-smoking floor and it was noticeable in the hallways.

Bedding was nice and clean, but carpeting had cigarette stains from when there used to be only smoking rooms.

Rooms are small, but by paying an extra 4,000 (11,000 total) I got a double for single use which was spacious enough.

Exercise facility and pool are closed down since September 2010. Not enough business apparently. Too bad as they looked great.

I would recommend a newer hotel though.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 5, 2009

The hotel is very close to the station which is good. The rooms were very dated (70s style) but were clean so it was ok. It was quiet too and we had a good night sleep. The staff were helpful and friendly. There is a pool on one of the floors with Sauna and even a running track.
To sum up: good location, clean and quiet but didn't feel like a treat.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple