New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hilton Nagoya

Hilton Nagoya
Ranked #2 of 166 Hotels / Ryokan in Nagoya
Hong Kong, China
“Very good stay with young children and with a rental car”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

I contacted Hilton Nagoya three months prior to our arrival to request that I will be guaranteed connecting rooms. I have three young children, and we couldn't book a room that will accommodate all five of us unless it was the Japanese Style rooms on tatami which I didn't prefer.
I contacted the Marriott Nagoya at first, because that is the most convenient located (above the JR station) and last time we stayed there, it was pretty good.

I received a disappointing reply from the Marriott, the standard reply that connecting rooms would be subject to availability...etc. So I cancelled my reservation with the Marriot and booked Hilton, and contacted them. Hilton replied also with a standard reply at first, then I wrote back that if I cannot get a guaranteed connecting room, then, I cannot stay there as I cannot have my children to be in a room by themselves. The next day, they replied that they will guarantee my three night stay with a connecting room.

Staff is wonderful. Concierge is helpful. We have a rental car, parked for 1300 yen for 24 hours. Big rooms, and for the first time in a long time, we LOVE their amenities in the bathroom. Never heard of the brand, but it's awesome. I hope Hilton keeps this brand for long time.

Staff all speaks fabulous english, breakfast buffet was included for our stay. Enjoyable breakfast with alot of varieties from Western foods to japanese foods selection and fresh fruits.
Egg station as well.

Convenience store across the street and Mos Burger.... my kids loved it. So convenient, we bought water, milk, snacks every night there, and when the kids got hungry, we have late night snack at Mos Burger.

We stayed one night at first, drove the rental car from the Chubu Airport to Hilton. Took about 1 hour. Then we checked out, and drove to Kaga Onsen, stayed in Onsen hotel for one night, next day (during the typhoon of Wipha) we drove from Kaga to Shirakawa to see the historic village houses UNESCO site. It was great, but wished it was sunny. Still, we enjoyed the visit very much and had a great lunch at the restaurant next to the museum of handmade soba noodles, and delicious beef that melts in your mouth.

We drove further and stayed in Takayama one night. (hotel I write review for separately). Then we drove back to Hilton after visiting Suzuka Circuit ! The Hilton gave us again the connecting rooms, even higher floor, and staff is always helpful with your luggage upon arrival, and check in is a breeze.

We stayed two more nights, everything was great and we drove back to the airport in 50 minutes.

We will DEFINITELY stay at the Hilton Nagoya next time we visit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Katetam
Hotel R, Craig Bonnor - General Manager at Hilton Nagoya, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for your comments and let me first say I was delighted to read you would definitely come back to Hilton Nagoya.
It was great to read your very positive comments on the service and various aspects of the product. We certainly aim to use excellent service to differentiate our hotel from others!
Once again, thanks for the comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Nagoya soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights for business. The first time I stepped into the building I was almost shocked by the wear and tear in the lobby. I've seen both renovated and unrenovated rooms - the renovated room is nice but unrenovated room I saw on the 12th floor was extremely depressing. My room on the 23rd floor was reonovated and had a nice view with lots of light. Everywhere else on the property is dated but I think I read somewhere that Hilton hotels will be updated to celebrate the 50th anniversary in Japan. I stayed at Nagoya Marriott the month before and the rooms were more spacious and fitness/pool facilities were much superior at Marriott. One thing that differentiated at Hilton was the staff - everyone genuinely seemed willing to serve. They were extremely helpful and pleasant. The location is about 15-20 min walk from Nagoya station or a 1-2 meters by taxi. If you work in Nagoya station area, Marriott is obviously much more convenient, but I actually didn't mind a nice walk to Nagoya station every morning and it provided an option to go out to Sakae for dinner, which we never did while staying at Marriott.

The breakfast had a nice selection of Japanese and non-Japanese food. As a gold member the breakfast at the restaurant was free but I did not get access to the lounge so I cannot comment. I also ordered a room service once and it was pretty good, better than Nagoya Marriott for similar grilled chicken. The restaurants near the hotel are mostly izakayas and for upscale restaurants you'd need to go to Nagoya station or Sakae area. There are however lots of bars - from dive bars to 2000 yen/cocktail upscale joints.

One thing I was not happy about is that my non-Japanese coworkers received sweets throughout their stay while I and my Japanese coworkers only got cookies on the first day. Our room rate was exactly the same and we all had the same elite status. Similar preferential treatment was found at Nagoya Marriott. It left a bad taste in my and colleague's mouth, but I guess it's a good news if you are not Japanese.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Greetings from Nagoya!
It is our greatest pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your stay.
We all appreciate your kind comments about our staff and our convenient location. This will be shared amongst all the management and the staff.
Also we would like to thank you about your comments on our lobby area. We will take this into our consideration in the future.
Thank you and we all look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton when your travels bring you to Nagoya.
Nagoya, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

The Nagoya Hilton is an excellent hotel to chose for those attending the Japanese Grand Prix at nearby Suzuka. The hotel is a luxurious place to come home to after a busy day at the Formula One Circuit. As well as having all the right amenities, it is a 15 minute walk or a 5 minute cab ride from the Nagoya train station.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank Robert F. S
Hotel R, Craig Bonnor - General Manager at Hilton Nagoya, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review on Hilton Nagoya.
We receive many good comments about how convenient our location is, and we are proud to say it is our very strong unique sales point.
We all certainly look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you to Nagoya.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

During a training trip which my company signed me up for, we were provided a room at The Hilton Nagoya. The hotel is quite large, probably the biggest in Nagoya and is located just 15 minutes from the main square. The check-in procedure was flawless as they already had our room keys and information printed and waiting for us. The rooms are a little bit old, but they did the job as they come complete with a very large bathtub, radio with sound system and an iPod dock which doubles as a charger. The rooms have international plugs built into the desks but I would still suggest that you bring a convertor for your devices.

When a group of colleagues decided we should go for a walk around the town, a Japanese American lady helped us with details of the city, and was waiting for us upon our return to see how things went. These nice little touches can really make or break a stay and the hotel passed this one.

The hotel offers a very nice breakfast on the second floor which comes complete with both Japanese and Western dishes...they even serve beer with eggs but sadly because we were on company time this was not allowed.

I gladly reccomend this hotel to my fellow employees who are travelling to Japan and would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kenny G
Thank you for your comments and let me first say I was delighted to read you would reccomend this hotel to your fellow employees and come back to stay Hilton Nagoya again.
We value our customer’s opinions about us to serve you in any better way. So should there be anything else that we can do to make your stay more comfortable and enjoyable, please let us know.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

the room and breakfast were just as expected, nothing fancy or remarkable but overall satisfactory. the location is, as commented by many others, not as good as marriott which is right above the Nagoya station. we chose Hilton however because it offered an access to fitness fasciities. we especially looked forward to the swimming pool. as it turned out, they run a fitness club whose members consist of local people. as a non-regular, i was made to feel uncomfortable, surrounded by people chatting loudly and making themselves very, very at home. while the pool attendants were nice and welcoming, a female receptionist clearly drew a line between the hotel guests and clubs members. next time, i would choose one of the so-called business hotels for a less disappointing experience.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel R, Craig Bonnor - General Manager at Hilton Nagoya, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Thank you for your comments and for choosing Hilton Nagoya.
We apologize that you felt uncomfortable at our Fitness Club and felt you were treated differently from club members.
Please rest assured that it is not our intention to differentiate guests from members.
Once again, thank you for staying with us and we hope that you would return. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sincerely yours,
Craig Bonnor, General Manager
Hanoi, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Great hotel with friendly staff.
Location is very good and the room I had was really beautiful with great view. Being a Gold HHonors member, was also given an executive lounge access which I enjoyed greatly.

Will return back end of September.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hotel R, Craig Bonnor - General Manager at Hilton Nagoya, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay.
It is always gratifying to receive recognition for efforts made and I have passed on your comments to our team members who I am sure will be even more motivated.
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

The location of this hotel is great. Just 10-15 mins walk from Nagoya station. Away from the busy Nagoya station traffic. We were given a room in the 1X floor and overlook the city. Room size is ok (cannot expect too much from a Japanese hotel). The size is just nice for a family of 3 or 4. The rooms and the lobby is a little tired and in need some some refurb.

How to get to this hotel? You can catch a Meitetsu train from Chubu airport and will take around 35mins to get to Nagoya station. From the station, you can walk to the hotel or catch a taxi if you have many luggages with you. There's also Centrair Limousine bus from the airport which will drop you directly to the hotel for 1000 yen per adult and child at 500 yen. But they have very limited schedule for this.

Easy access to Sakae shopping district , Nagoya Station Shopping area and Nagoya Castle.

Overall, very nice hotel and staff are very friendly.

The only downside is the conceirge does not organize or book any local tours. Perhaps this can be looked at as it would help your guests.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments and I was delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed Hilton Nagoya hospitality and some of the unique offerings of Nagoya city.
It is our greatest pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your stay.