“Fantastic Nagoya Castle View”

The Westin Nagoya Castle
Ranked #19 of 166 Hotels / Ryokan in Nagoya
Hong Kong, China
“Fantastic Nagoya Castle View”
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Stayed there for two nights recently.
Believed they are the only hotel provide free shuttle van from Nagoya station to hotel.
As I used my points to get these two free night, we did not expect much. Yet, we got the 7th floor room which is just in front of the Castle - very very good view in the morning, afternoon, and evening...
Front desk service is very good too, one on one, very good English too.

Room Tip: Should request room located at 6th or above
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fanlisa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Imagine waking up with a view of a Japanese castle! That's exactly what Westin Nagoya offers. Service and furnishing is typical of a westin establishment complete with the heavenly bed. The only grouch I have is the location. Pretty out of the way to the Nagoya city center. Taking the subway requires two change to get to the train station. Shuttle service is provided however timings are not regular and the van could be full. I would not stay again due to the inconvenience as cabs are expensive in Japan.

• Stayed March 2012
Kamakura, Japan
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I stay here a lot since the Hard Rock Cafe next to the Hilton closed.
Rooms are, for the most part, decent (ask for a Castle View).
I am just an SPG Gold, but always get a decent room....
The hotel is a good walk from the Nagoya "nightlife" and the station (1400 yen taxi ride to the bullet train).
The breakfast is decent and you are guaranteed a window if you are down by 7AM.
Staff is great...never had a problem.
Hilton is my favourite for nostalgia (broke up a fight in the lobby), location and breakfast, but the Westin is second to none for value.

Room Tip: Castle view away from the elevators.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Salzburg, Austria
Reviewed January 5, 2012

The hotel is right next to the castle, which guarantees a nice view if you stay in a room on the side of the castle, but that's about it. The staff are polite and trying to be helpful but the level of English spoken is some of the worst we encountered anywhere in Japan. You would think this is a Westin, which should expect to see foreign guests. How one communicates in 'non-Japanese', I am not sure. We gave up. Trying to order food in the coffeeshop was torture. In the end someone from the bar came over, who spoke English, but then he did not know the menu and could not help. Spaghetti with mentaiko? and similar - how is one supposed to know? It would be better to explain these terms on the menu, so as not to challenge the English language skills of the staff. We actually felt bad and the staff obviously tried to avoid us. Getting their attention was almost impossible. We then decided to take the buffet, which for a Westin was really poor to say the least, but we did not come for the food. the following night, we decided to also take the buffet, so we did not have to repeat the previous night's scenario and embarrass the staff. to our surprise, the buffet items were the exact same ones as the night before. Now, that was disappointing, as the food, as it was, was very plain and gave so little choice. The trouble is, that there is nothing to eat near the hotel and nowhere to go, so although we did not go to Nagoya or to the Westin with food as a priority, it became a major disappointment.
This hotel also has no free internet access, not even in the lobby, which I thought is something given in all Westins. Here you had to pay no matter where you used it (in today's world every hostel gives this free).
And then there is the shuttle bus. You are very much dependent on this bus, as the location of the hotel is just not anywhere near anything (except the castle). It's shuttle or taxi. The shuttle bus only runs once an hour to the station and as if this wasn't stingy enough, it only starts running late in the morning - I seem to remember it was around 8.50h for the first bus. Too late for us to catch our train and too late, I would assume, for people going to an early office meeting. So it's taxi.
To be fair, while at the hotel, we only ever saw one other foreign guest, and the Japanese guests seemed to have no problem. The staff looked engaging and polite. If you are non-Japanese and have nothing to do in the area of the hotel, then you may want to consider staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: overlooking the castle on a top floor, otherwise you look into a roof of whatever is below the hotel...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed December 8, 2011

I recently stayed at the Westin at Nagoya Castle when I was in Nagoya for work. The staff was extremely freindly and helpful and the location next to Nagoya Castle provides great scenary. The price was also very good for Nagoya. With that said, I only can give it three stars because the wireless internet was spotty, food was mediocre, and the bed was not as comfortable when compared with other Westins. If this was a Sheraton, I would have given it four stars.

The room was tiny, but this is typical in Japan. It was well layed out. Toiletries in the room were nice and many of the items I have only seen at this Westin in Japan.

The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the nearest subway station. Directions to the hotel on the website (Airport to Nagoya Train Station, then take a taxi) were easy to follow and the price for the taxi was accurate. SPG Platinum benefits included access to the fitness facilities, access to the executive lounge, free breakfast (either buffet or continental) and a happy hour in the lobby lounge. I only went to happy hour one night and I was the only one there, so I would not recommend it to meet other people. The executive lounge was quiet and a great place to work. Light beverages and snacks were provided, but it is only open until 6pm.

Pros
1. Staff: everyone was friendly, courteous and helpful. Staff was above average when compared with other Westins.
2. View from hotel of Nagoya Castle (ask for a room that faces the castle)
3. Price (compared with other hotels of a similar stature in Nagoya, it was reasonable, although not sure it should be a Westin)
4. Executive lounge was a great place to get work done. Wireless worked better than in room, but still an issue.

Cons
1. Wireless Internet was spotty in the room and executive lounge (frequent disconnections on four different devices - HP laptop, iPhone, iPad and Blackberry). It was reasonable fast when I got a signal. This was unbelievably frustrating since I had to work in the hotel 4-6 hours a day.
2. The food was mediocre. I ate at the restaurant in the lobby for one breakfast buffet and one dinner buffet and ordered room service once. I would not recommend the buffet because the hot dishes were luke warm and didn't taste great. I know it was a buffet, but the food was borderline cold. Room service was better, but protions were small for the price (I realize also that it is Japan).
3. The bed... I honestly do not think it was a heavenly bed. Other Westins that I have stayed at in the past had much more comfortable beds.
4. Small issue, but I could not find an iron in the room (it is listed on the website, so maybe I missed it).

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking Nagoya Castle
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Vancouver
Reviewed August 1, 2011

This is the nicest Westin I've ever stayed at. From the outside, it doesn't look that spectacular but the moment you pull into their driveway, you're treated like royalty. The bellmen run to your vehicle and help you with your luggage immediately. The lobby is gorgeous and the rooms are very clean. We had a view facing the castle, unbelievable. We used combo SPG points and dollars, which worked out to $40/night. This came with a buffet breakfast for both of us which normally would have been $25-$30 each. The value was unbelievable. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
SUNSHINE COAST AUSTRALIA
Reviewed June 23, 2011

We had a fantastic 3 night stay with the best view of the castle from our 10th floor room. The hotel is 40 years old so the bathroom is small, but it is functional, very clean, with a bath and hand held shower over. The room is a good size. Wish there were a few more english speaking TV chanels. Breakfast was good, the free shuttle to Nagoya Station every hour - a good service. ALL Staff very friendly. Enjoyed a great meal in the restaurant on the 11th floor. We loved Nagoya and want to return, so will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple