“Une excellent adress for a ryokan”
Review of Kyoya Ryokan

Kyoya Ryokan
Ranked #10 of 171 Hotels / Ryokan in Nagoya
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We are a french couple in our sixties. We travel for one month in Japan and staied 3 nights in this ryokan and were very happy to be there. It is a very quiet place about 30 minutes walking from Nagoya station. The room was very confortable with a view on the japaneese garden, with a private bathroom but we prefered cross the small japaneese garden and take à bath in the common one. The breakfast (japaneese style) is very . The owner speak english and help us for several things during our stay. We loved this place.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bernard J
kyoyaryokan, オーナー at Kyoya Ryokan, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2017

Dear Bernard J ,

Thank you for your staying with us.

We appreiciate to get your comment for our inn.

We are glad that you were satisfied wirg the public bath.

Best regards,

There are newer reviews for Kyoya Ryokan

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I didn't put much thought into searching for accomodation in Nagoya, but Kyoya turned out to be a great surprise and possibly the best place I stayed in during my trip to Japan.
Travelling solo, I stayed in a mixed Japanese style dorm for 4 people with sliding doors connecting with another double room. Tatami mats and covers were really comfortable and I slept like a log.
There's patio and Japanese style hot public bath (male and female) - loved it. You can help yourself to free green tea, either hot or cold.
The location is good, close to the train station and city centre. Very friendly staff - actually I only met Hiro, but he was really helpful and friendly. If I ever visit Nagoya again, I'll come back to Kyoya.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank meecowhy

Dear meecowhy,

We appreciate to get your comment for our inn.
We are glad that you felt the atmosphere of Japan from our inn.

Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Other reviewers describe the facilities and service adequately. I just want to add weight to them. The Ryokan, rooms, garden, service, food, Hiro San, every part of our stay exceeded expectations. Thanks so much for accommodating us, it was an experience we won't forget.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank RajKumar7890

Dear TheHankHunter,

Thank you for your staying with us.

We are glad that your stay was good experience for you.

Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

My family, three of us, was visiting Nagoya for a few days and among all different aspects of this trip I have to say the accommodation choice was the best part of our entire trip. Hiro San is a super CEO running the place basically on his own with great attention to details. Our room is very nice and comfortable with enough space for three persons. All basic amenities like toothbrush, towel, shower gel were provided and refilled every day. The only drawback is the location. Really suggest to include taxi budget if u stay here, though its not too expensive, about 700-900 yen per trip to Nagoya station. Not all taxi driver knows this place but if you have the hotel telephone and map ready they will be able to get u there by GPS. It's a very pleasant experience. Arigato Hiro San!

• Stayed: June 2013
kyoyaryokan, オーナー at Kyoya Ryokan, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2017

Thank you for your staying with us.

We are glad to get your comment for our inn.

We appreciate that you were satisfied with the facilities of our inn.
We are happy that your stay was good memory for you.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Found Kyoya after reading positive reviews. We were optimistic but still doubted much of the description and amenities.

Please put your doubts to rest.

Kyoya is a beautifully designed, clean, and impeccably maintained stay. For $30 a night per person, you are provided clean bedding for the tatami mats, a light kimono, wi-fi & computer access (which I`m using now), access to the spa/showers, and the wonderfully warm knowledgeable and hospitable services of the owner (full help with directions to different areas, offered bikes to use free of charge, upgraded our room for the 1st night because he was able to).

A few things to highlight - The showers feel like a separate spa. 3 shower heads provided in a stone enclosed soap included area. Razors, hair brushes, after-shave, and socks galore. After washing there is a hot onsen style bath to relax in. It`s astounding.

Plus a zen garden in the middle which is a calming addition for the walk to the glorious bath house.

Nagoya is a wonderful city but if you can`t come up with a reason to visit, find one. This has easily been my best stay experience in Japan and has blown other good quality hostels out of the water. Enjoy.

Room Tip: Variety of rooms plus a section being added now and currently under construction.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Daniel R

Dear Daniel R,

Thank you fro your staying with us.

We appreciate to get your comment for our inn.

We are glad that you were satisfied with the facilities.
We are glad that you felt the atmosphere of Japan from the public bath.

Best Regards,

Reviewed March 15, 2013

My colleagues and I stayed here on business, which made our local hosts chuckle, "most of our guests stay at the M**". Well, they're missing out - you can stay there in Milwaukee. The Japanese breakfast was superb and generous. The innkeeper could not have been more friendly or efficient - he is a whirl of activity and information. It was a real treat to enjoy authentic tatami rooms, futons, serene gardens and hot baths with a cold Asahi at the end of the day. Some rooms can be smoky, so check it out in advance of moving in if you're sensitive.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank AnyplaceOnce

Dear AnyplaceOnce,

We appreciate to get your comment for our inn.
We are glad that you were satisfied with the breakfast.

However, I am sorry that some rooms were smoky during your stay. Now, all rooms are banned to smoke.

Thank you.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I happened upon this place when i was finding accommodation for a brief overnight stay while I went to see the sumo tournament held in Nagoya in July 2012. I had been searching for a ryokan in Tokyo and Kyoto which matched even half what Kyoya had to offer for a price twice what Kyoya charged and had been able to find nothing. Once I arrived I was instantly welcomed and made to feel as comfortable as possible. The staff were so friendly and helpful, and even for twice the price this place would still rate as Excellent. From the fast internet and large lockers to the novelty photo with props and the clean and luxurious public bath, all free, along with the beautiful zen garden and deck, robes, obi and sandals to wear, traditional tatami matting common room and "dorms" (room had plenty of space for 4 futons plus aircon, a computer, fridge, tv, kettle, bath, shower and toilet) I was amazed and spoilt. For the extra 1000 yen I indulged in the traditional Japanese breakfast in the dining room overlooking the zen garden, and the array of colours and flavours on my plate hand prepared individually by the same smiley man who organised everything for me, did not disappoint. I would recommend this place to anyone wanting to experience genuine Japanese hospitality, and would not hesitate to go again.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Female Dorm which was spacious and comfortable. Only tiny problem was I couldn't...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank siobhanhensey

Dear siobhanhensey,

Thank you for your staying with us.

We appreciate for your compliment for us. Thank you.

W are glad that you were satisfied with the facilities, the public bath, and breakfast. It is honor for us.
We appreciate that you like d the atmosphere of our inn.

Best Regards,