“Best Hotel in Jordan”

InterContinental Aqaba Resort
Ranked #2 of 40 Hotels in Aqaba
“Best Hotel in Jordan”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I decided to take my wife to Intercontinental Aqaba for Valentine's Day. Upon arrival, I had a great first impression. Someone from guest relations greeted us and offered to be of assistance at any time. Once we got to our room we were so pleased because the room had everything we asked for such as 2 beds, a crib, and few personal items. They also dropped off some complimentary sweet for the Valentine occasion. Afterward, we decided to go to the beach which was few feet from our room. It was a spectacular sight to relax on the beach and to listen to a soothing wonderful music. The music was perfect for the occasion and so it was the sound. But my overall greatest highlight was when I met the Director of rooms. He was one of the kinds. I have traveled all over the world but never met or seen someone that was willing to go above and beyond to make your stay so enjoyable that you want to come back again just for him. The director of rooms was so accommodating to me and my family. I barely mentioned something to him as a favor or extra service and immediately he was on the phone giving his orders to make it happen. His smile, professionalism, and best ever customer service were truly unmatched in my personal experience and opinion. He never delegated anything to anyone. He was present to make sure that the task was done to my perfection. I had a great time at this hotel and will definitely come back for the great food, music, and the wonderful customer service from the staff and certainly from the director of rooms. Thank you so much Intercontinental Aqaba and thank you Mr. Director of Rooms for making sure my stay was the best experience I had in Jordan.

Room Tip: If you can afford it get a room next to the beach or has a beach view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Adnane B
Mazen-AbuSakha, General Manager at InterContinental Aqaba Resort, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Adnane B
We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay. We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgment of such a positive nature. It is truly rewarding when a guest recognizes our staff’s efforts and takes the time to say thank you. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make InterContinental Aqaba Resort a leader in excellence. Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future in your second home in Aqaba.
Mazen Abu Sakha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed March 16, 2014

This is a very comfortable, elegant resort on the beach in Aqaba.The bed was comfortable with high quality linens. There was a mix of foam and down pillows. The down pillows were very good.

For Jordan, the bathroom was relatively large and nice with a tub large enough for a bath. The robes are nice and instead of slippers, flip flops are provided.

The pool and beach area are beautiful. The food at the main restaurant is excellent.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Mazen-AbuSakha, General Manager at InterContinental Aqaba Resort, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Warm greetings from Intercontinental Aqaba Resort!
We are delighted to read your lovely review of your stay with us, and thank you for taking your time to post your feedback here on TripAdvisor.
I would like to thank you for your positive remarks about the room ,the pool, the beach and the food which you have mentioned was excellent.
Once again, many thanks for sharing your feedback and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Intercontinental Aqaba Resort in the near future.
Many thanks
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I stayed there for two days and it was just amazing, the views, the atmosphere and the facilities are all just what I expected, very comfortable rooms, the pool is also pretty sweet, it was heated a little because Aqaba is a bit chilly in March and the sea was very cold but the pool was warm enough to swim, I couldn't get myself out of the pool for half a day! the spa is also pretty good, equiped with a gigantic jacuzzi and a decent steam room, you can also find people to assist you regardless of where you are at the hotel, the hotel also has several restaurants and lounges with a pretty good bartender, they also provide entertainment every couple of nights, there's a bellydancer and several other performers that perform cultural brazilian, indian and even jazz routines, but above all the views at night are breathtaking, going for a walk on the beach will clear up your mind straight away, very peaceful and therapeutic. one more thing I forgot to mention, the internet speed is incredibly good! highly recommended.

Room Tip: Aim for a room in 5th floor, the view is fantastic!
Dear Salah H
First of all let me thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay. I am so glad to hear that you had THE BEST WEEKEND EVER also happy to hear that we met your expectations, we are striving to provide the highest level of service that our guests love, your feedback are valued to us as reinforcement to continue our efforts to make InterContinental Aqaba Resort the leader excellence. Once again thank you for your feedback and hope to welcome you soon in your second home in Aqaba.
Reviewed March 15, 2014

It was A perfect weekend in an amazing hotel
Excellent hotel, . Amazing rooms, excellent food , the whole staff very friendly and polite and willing to help you all the time .Great service and The hotel is very clean.
Intercontinental Aqaba Resort is A great place to relax and enjoy the beauty of Aqaba
Perfect location. I'd highly recommend this for anyone planning a trip to
Aqaba .

Room Tip: All the rooms is perfect higher floors is the best to enjoy the amazing view of the sunset :)
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Norma N
First of all let me thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at InterContinental Aqaba resort. I am so happy to hear it from you that you had nice and perfect stay, We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgment of such a positive nature. its our aim to provide the highest level of service that out guests love. Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments and recommendation and hope to welcome you again in your second home in Aqaba.
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Nothing like Intercontinental Aqaba Resort ! Best View for the sea , the original sand of Aqaba , the biggest meeting halls in Jordan & the Full luxury life !

You have to go the best & largest SPA in Aqaba also :)

Dear Mr Hasan H
First of all thank you for taking the time to share your kind words about your recent stay at InterContinental Aqaba. I am so happy when reading your description about our resort as THE BEST IN AQABA . We are always pleased to receive praise and acknowledgment of such a positive nature. Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in your second home in Aqaba.
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I've been there last weekend and it was my first time there, simply I'm definitely coming back again!

The service, food and cleanness is just perfect. The hotel is cozy perfect for families as there are activities for kids and water sports for adults.

Burj Al Hamam restaurant is recommended, one of the best lebanese cuisines!

Rooms are spacious and the sea view is just fantastic.

Recommended hotel :)

1 Thank Nshanak
Dear Nshanak
First of all thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at InterContinental Aqaba resort. I am glad to hear it from you that you had memorable stay , your comments and recommendation It is truly rewarding, Once again thank you for yours kind words and hope to welcome soon in your second home Home in Aqaba.
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Me and my family spent 14 nights at Intercontinental Aqaba in Februari. It is a truly fantastic place. The hotel building is majestic and beautiful. Situated right next to the Aqaba city centre, but still in a calm area. It owns one of the best stretches of the beach (in Aqaba – contrary to in Eilat on the Israel side of the bay – the best parts of the beach are owned by the hotels and only accessible for hotel guests) and has a great pool area. The food at the hotel – we had the breakfast and dinner buffet every day of our stay – is outstanding. And the restaurant staff was just great. It was a pure pleasure dining there every evening! The room was very comfortable and well equipped and the staff was more than happy to help us with anything we asked them for.

However, I would unfortunately not go back and stay in this fantastic place again. We value the possibility to relax when we go to a resort like this. This proved to be difficult for us. Everyday the hotel staff played what I would call loud music – and I am not talking about music that gets your pulse down, sometimes it would be the same 90`s euro-techno song over and over – at the hotel beach and pool area. It didn´t matter how many times we asked the staff to turn it down, 10 minutes later the volume was back up again. We tried hiding from it, but that was not easy since there were speakers facing the beach as well as big portable speakers which the staff moved around in the pool area.

During the latter part of our stay, the volume was turned down somewhat and some of the staff were trying to spare us by unplugging speakers close to us etc. And we were told that a majority of the guests who stay at the hotel prefer to listen to music. So I guess from the hotel´s point of view they did what they could to accommodate our wishes. But for me, this was a major and continuous disappointment with the stay,

What also made us disappointed was how the hotel handled our requests. Being frustrated with the response we got from the beach and pool staff, I among other things tried to turn to customer relations. I was then promised that a manager would come to our room and talk to us, but no manager ever showed up. And this what not the only time a thing like that happened. Finally, upon check-out when we were asked if we were happy with our stay and said no – we got to see a manager. He told us that he would send us a voucher as some kind of compensation for the disturbance we had experienced. Three weeks later, we have not heard anything more from him, nor seen any voucher.

In addition to the music playing, the beach was also disturbed by the sounds of jet-skis and speed boats / glass bottom boats going back and forth just outside the hotel (these boats also play loud music). Especially during the weekends the traffic could get heavy.

If you travel with children you also might want to know that the lobby area, the café and the shopping arcade are smoking areas which sometimes can be quite foggy from cigarett smoke. Even the elevators often stink of smoke.

Some suggestions on what to do while in Aqaba:

Go to Eilat for a day trip. It costs some 10 euro per person to leave Jordan and then about the same to enter Israel, but it was well worth it. The board walk at the beach area is beautiful and offers a wide variety of cafes and restaurants.

Take the two hour drive to Petra. It is expensive to go there, but you don´t have to be interested in ancient history to be impressed by it. You can organize the trip yourself by talking to most any taxi driver in Aqaba (the green cars). When you reach Petra, get one of the local guides to join you inside – it will add a lot to the experience (but be ready to pay 50 euro for their services).

Go to Wadi Rum. Also expensive but so worth it. Beautiful desert landscape and a place where you can enjoy total silence.

If you want to do some snorkelling from the shore, go to the beautiful Berenice Beach club on the way to Tala bay (costs 15 euro for a day to stay at their facilities). There you can find some really nice corals and fish and have close encounters with scorpion fish. And the view from the restaurant is fabulous.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Mazen-AbuSakha, General Manager at InterContinental Aqaba Resort, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Daniel C
I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring these matters to my attention and I hope to accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to loud Music, staff and management responses and reactions, and All the areas that you have mentioned. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose InterContinental Aqaba Resort for your future travel needs. I would greatly appreciate if you can contact our Director of Rooms Mr. Wissam Shubat to his E-Mail wissam.shubat@ihg.com