“Fantastic, but noisy environment and careless management”

InterContinental Aqaba Resort
Ranked #1 of 41 Hotels in Aqaba
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Me and my family spent 14 nights at Intercontinental Aqaba in Februari. It is a truly fantastic place. The hotel building is majestic and beautiful. Situated right next to the Aqaba city centre, but still in a calm area. It owns one of the best stretches of the beach (in Aqaba – contrary to in Eilat on the Israel side of the bay – the best parts of the beach are owned by the hotels and only accessible for hotel guests) and has a great pool area. The food at the hotel – we had the breakfast and dinner buffet every day of our stay – is outstanding. And the restaurant staff was just great. It was a pure pleasure dining there every evening! The room was very comfortable and well equipped and the staff was more than happy to help us with anything we asked them for.

However, I would unfortunately not go back and stay in this fantastic place again. We value the possibility to relax when we go to a resort like this. This proved to be difficult for us. Everyday the hotel staff played what I would call loud music – and I am not talking about music that gets your pulse down, sometimes it would be the same 90`s euro-techno song over and over – at the hotel beach and pool area. It didn´t matter how many times we asked the staff to turn it down, 10 minutes later the volume was back up again. We tried hiding from it, but that was not easy since there were speakers facing the beach as well as big portable speakers which the staff moved around in the pool area.

During the latter part of our stay, the volume was turned down somewhat and some of the staff were trying to spare us by unplugging speakers close to us etc. And we were told that a majority of the guests who stay at the hotel prefer to listen to music. So I guess from the hotel´s point of view they did what they could to accommodate our wishes. But for me, this was a major and continuous disappointment with the stay,

What also made us disappointed was how the hotel handled our requests. Being frustrated with the response we got from the beach and pool staff, I among other things tried to turn to customer relations. I was then promised that a manager would come to our room and talk to us, but no manager ever showed up. And this what not the only time a thing like that happened. Finally, upon check-out when we were asked if we were happy with our stay and said no – we got to see a manager. He told us that he would send us a voucher as some kind of compensation for the disturbance we had experienced. Three weeks later, we have not heard anything more from him, nor seen any voucher.

In addition to the music playing, the beach was also disturbed by the sounds of jet-skis and speed boats / glass bottom boats going back and forth just outside the hotel (these boats also play loud music). Especially during the weekends the traffic could get heavy.

If you travel with children you also might want to know that the lobby area, the café and the shopping arcade are smoking areas which sometimes can be quite foggy from cigarett smoke. Even the elevators often stink of smoke.

Some suggestions on what to do while in Aqaba:

Go to Eilat for a day trip. It costs some 10 euro per person to leave Jordan and then about the same to enter Israel, but it was well worth it. The board walk at the beach area is beautiful and offers a wide variety of cafes and restaurants.

Take the two hour drive to Petra. It is expensive to go there, but you don´t have to be interested in ancient history to be impressed by it. You can organize the trip yourself by talking to most any taxi driver in Aqaba (the green cars). When you reach Petra, get one of the local guides to join you inside – it will add a lot to the experience (but be ready to pay 50 euro for their services).

Go to Wadi Rum. Also expensive but so worth it. Beautiful desert landscape and a place where you can enjoy total silence.

If you want to do some snorkelling from the shore, go to the beautiful Berenice Beach club on the way to Tala bay (costs 15 euro for a day to stay at their facilities). There you can find some really nice corals and fish and have close encounters with scorpion fish. And the view from the restaurant is fabulous.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Mazen-AbuSakha, General Manager at InterContinental Aqaba Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear Daniel C
I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring these matters to my attention and I hope to accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to loud Music, staff and management responses and reactions, and All the areas that you have mentioned. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope you will continue to choose InterContinental Aqaba Resort for your future travel needs. I would greatly appreciate if you can contact our Director of Rooms Mr. Wissam Shubat to his E-Mail wissam.shubat@ihg.com
Sincerely

Write a ReviewReviews (1,388)

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Went there for the weekend, I knew it would be such an amazing experience from the moment I got there. A band of Dabkeh (Jordanian traditional folk music and dance) greeted us as soon as we walked in. Then we went up to our rooms to get ready for lunch at Burj Al Hamam (the food was delicious and the sweets were beyond describing!) then we went on a tour around the hotel to see the facilities. the hotel is very clean and cozy. All the staff were very professional and friendly. Later at night we had a wonderful dinner at the Martinis Lounge that was accompanied by several entertaining shows.
I highly recommend it as the best getaway for the weekend! whether you're a couple, a group of friends or family with kids, it is guaranteed that each and every person is going to have fun and enjoy.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Mazen-AbuSakha, General Manager at InterContinental Aqaba Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2014

Dear Dina R
First of all let me thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at InterContinental Aqaba resort. I am so glad to hear that you had memorable experience and you spent memorable time, your kinds word will be shared with entire staff as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make InterContinental Aqaba Resort a leader in excellence. Once again thank you for kind words and recommendation and hope to welcome you again in your second home in Aqaba.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

i went to aqaba with my friends and to choose the Intercontinental Aqaba resort ,and it was amazing,e very thing is just perfect.

the room was very clean , convenient , and relaxing
the most welcoming staff i ever see and deal with .
the beach is clean and beautiful.
the food ohhh my god what i can say else amazingly delicious.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Mazen-AbuSakha, General Manager at InterContinental Aqaba Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Dear Edwan
First of all let me thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay. I am so glad to that you WEEKEND TO REMEMBER in our resort , we are always pleases to hear such kinds words, by valued feedback we are able to gauge our performance, Once again thank you for the comments and hope to welcome soon in your Second Home in Aqaba.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Stayed for a week at InterContinental Aqaba Resort with two small kids.

Staff was extremely pleasant and helpfull every time, solving whatever request we made.

Location is fantastic and the beach is perfect for kids.

Room Tip: Be aware that there are smoking and non-smoking rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Mazen-AbuSakha, General Manager at InterContinental Aqaba Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear jggrove25
First of all let me thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay, I am so glad to hear that you had nice and memorable stay with your kids, we always aim to provide the highest level of service that our guests love, and your kinds words its rewarding us, Once again thank you for your kinds words and hope to welcome you again in your second home in Aqaba.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Professional and friendly staff throughout the hotel. We booked 5 nights in order to relax, and this proved to be an excellent place to do so. It is luxurious in a relaxed way.
Visitors come from all over the world, a nice mix with wealthy Jordanian couples and families enjoying their long weekend.
The decoration of the room made me feel at home. Almost all of the rooms have sea view, and obviously, the higher the floor you're on, the better the view. The room has a small balcony, with two chairs and a table.
The bed was firm with a soft top which gave a luxurious feeling, comes with a choice of pillows.
Our bathroom was very spacious with a bath, a separate shower, a well illuminated sink.
Free wifi in the room and free parking.
Excellent breakfast buffet, Lebanese restaurant was real good.
The swimming pool allows you to "wander" around swimming, which is nice. Plenty of chairs around the swimming pool and well-kept beach, either in the sun or shade.
This is one of the best hotels I ever visited, and I'd definitely recommend this hotel to my friends

Room Tip: If you can afford yourself a more expensive room, you will have a better sea view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Mazen-AbuSakha, General Manager at InterContinental Aqaba Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2014

Dear Karen B
First of all We appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your delightful experience during your recent stay. I am so glad to hear that you had memorable stay, your kind words considered as reinforcement to continue our efforts to make InterContinental Aqaba Resort a leader in excellence. Also to provide the highest level of service that our guest love. Once again thank you for your comments and recommendations and hope to welcome again in your second home in Aqaba.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Just stayed overnight at this lovely lovely hotel - wish we could have stayed longer. Professionally friendly staff and amazing location. We had dinner at the Lebanese restaurant - food was excellent, we could not stop eating the freshly baked bread. Our waitress was lovely and provided exceptional service. We had a nightcap at the bar, and listened to live music and our breakfast the next day at the casual restaurant was just as good. Only drawback, at all was that I could still here the live music from my room - but a small observation. I will return to this hotel in future and would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Perhaps not one above the lounge:) Mine was on the third floor overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Mazen-AbuSakha, General Manager at InterContinental Aqaba Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear Jacquie19
First of all let me thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay, I am so glad to hear that nice and memorable stay stay and happy to hear that you wished to extend , it only by valued feedback by valued guests like you enables us to improve our performance and your feedback its our gauge. Once again thank you for the inspiring feedback and recommendation and hope to welcome you soon in your second home in Aqaba .

Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed in this hotel seven nights. Each day when we returned from our excellent breakfast, the staff had made remarkable work to organize our room and bed was like the peace of art. Every day the room was different. We enjoyed very much. In this hotel the guests are the most important. The special thanks for Director of Rooms Wissam Shubat who is the best example of great service.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Mazen-AbuSakha, General Manager at InterContinental Aqaba Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Dear Kouvolasta
First of all let me thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay, I am glad to hear that you had nice and memorable stay also happy to know that InterContinental Aqaba members meet your expectation and make your stay remarkable, I will let Mr, Wissam Shubat know about your kinds words. Once again thank you for your feedback and hope to welcome you soon in your second Home in Aqaba.