“Excellent hotel with lousy spa”

InterContinental Aqaba Resort
Ranked #1 of 41 Hotels in Aqaba
Reviewed September 5, 2013

There was a lot said about this hotel in the previous reviews, I agree it is an excellent one, with one of the best breakfasts we have ever seen. This time I would like to share my spa experience as as I could not see any reviews for it, so other people would escape my unpleasant overpriced experience. We were into the second week of travel and I thought I'll take an opportunity of a little bit of beauty in this nice place. The booking was available for the same day. I wanted to book a Dead Sea facial (for the sake of something local) but was talked out of it and suggested an anti ageing one which suits me better, uses nicer products and also has peeling, face massage and a mask included in it, so I took a professional advice and was looking forward to relax. Later on, on arrival, I was nicely greeted an taken to the massage room. The room is next to the free jacuzzi where people come and use. During the whole treatment jacuzzi was on and off running its motor, people loudly speaking there etc, not much of a relaxation happening in such environment. There was no music in the massage room, no nice smell (as one would expect), only the lights were low. I was told to lay down on the table. To my question about taking T-shirt off the beautician lady told it was not necessary as I have short 50 minute treatment which includes only face. To my amusement 50 minutes $100+ treatment would not qualify for an express facial with T shirt on and I told this to the lady. She allowed me to take t-shirt off and told she would do additional neck and décolleté if I wanted. I surely wanted. She washed the face, put peeling stuff on and started mist heating machine blowing to my face. The machine had very strong light on and it was on the whole time. No eye pillow to protect my eyes, nothing. Probably she needed that much light to see what she was doing. To me it was unwelcome addition. After the peeling I got a mask on which was put on the whole face, including the eyes and lips. I asked what was in such a mask and was told that she would answer this question later. (Later she showed me the big jar, how it looked like). During the mask time I was given 2 minutes arm massage which went all the way up to the shoulder touching the stripes of the bra and dirtying them with massage oil. The lady probably went her way out to please me and did more than required. I was glad I perviously took my nice t-shirt off and it was not soaked with massage oil. After massage was ticked off, the rest of mask time I spent just laying down and listening to the outside talks. The procedure was finished off with slight face massage and application of a moisturiser after which I was suggested to keep it on for at least one hour, even better overnight.
Adding 17% taxes to those 60 JD I paid for this lousy spa experience my recommendation to others would be to avoid it if you can. I could have had two of much nicer facials at home for this price.
I do not want the beauty lady who treated me to be in trouble, she ticked all the boxes and did more. I thing the problem is at the management level with the quality of rooms and the spa treatments.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
InterContinetal, General Manager at InterContinental Aqaba Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear Anna D,

Greetings from InterContinental Aqaba Resort!

I would like to take the chance to first thank you on behalf of Intercontinental Aqaba for your review and comments on Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us.

We are very concerned to learn that your spa experience fell short, and that we were unable to meet your expectations.

Please accept my sincere apologies that you felt disappointed with several points. I can appreciate what an inconvenience this was to you and I want you to rest assured that your comments are very important to us, and passed along to department heads concerned to take into great consideration allowing us to have the opportunity to excel in the quality of services we provide.

My sincere apologies for your dissatisfaction and please let us express our gratitude and appreciation for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Mazen Abu Sakha

Write a ReviewReviews (1,388)

Reviewed September 5, 2013

Hotel staff are extremely friendly in all facilities. The staff at the beach restaurant are very welcoming & responsive. Also the staff in the executive business club at the 5th floor. They're full with energy & helpful.

I believe it's a great resort for those looking for central location and sandy beaches.

Enjoy your stay everybody :)

Mays Z

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear Mays Z,

Greetings from Intercontinental Aqaba!

Thank you for taking the time to write us your feedback, we are glad that you had a wonderful stay with us. Our entire team will be more than happy to assist you and make your stay a memorable one.

Your feedback is important us all and your evaluation will form an important part of our ongoing program to continuously monitor the quality of our services and facilities.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

one of the best hotels in Aqaba (Jordan), most recommended for families, comfort and clean rooms, nice beach, the service is good, employees are professionals, but my only comment regarding my last trip was the breakfast.. it should be better because a lot of other hotels there have a better various options and dishes..

they have a very delicious pizza Italian pizza restaurant, and Lebanese restaurant as well.

ask for the panoramic view rooms.. in the middle so you have a nice view of the swimming pools and the beach.

Room Tip: choose the panoramic view
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RadwanShishtawi

Dear RadwanShishtawi,

Greetings from Intercontinental Aqaba Resort!

First of all please allow me to thank you for choosing InterContinental as your accommodation during your recent visit to Aqaba.

It’s a great pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, eager that each and every stay in the InterContinental Hotels for your kind selves will be better every time. I would like to take the chance to thank you on behalf of Intercontinental Aqaba for your kind review.

Your comments are of high significance to us, and are taken into great consideration to allow us to have the opportunity to excel in the quality of services we provide.

Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

I visited this hotel for more than 8 times in the last 2 years .. it's really nice and organized except for the breakfast area .
The pool side workers are really rude and flirt with all the women there .
The rooms are clean and organized

• Stayed: September 2012
InterContinetal, General Manager at InterContinental Aqaba Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear Nada222,

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your review and for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

I am deeply sorry for the unacceptable service you have received from our staff. I assure you that this is not the norm you should expect from our hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future.

Thank you again for your comments, And we hope we will welcome you back at your residence in Aqaba.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Aqaba Intercontinental and were very impressed by all aspects of the hotel. Received a great welcome, since check-in . The room was clean, well equipped and very comfortable. Everything was perfect.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We booked a couple of rooms for a couple of nights in August 2013.

The hotel is located towards the end of the Aqaba promenade of hotels. There is good security with all cars and bags checked on entry, but i'm not sure if this is needed because the area is safe.

The hotel has high speed internet (wifi) throughout which was great for internet calls and this reached up to the beach (just about!). We also requested an extra bed which was accommodated for a small fee. The breakfast is definitely worth getting. There is a huge selection of self-serve and cooking stations which was impressive. There is not much to do in Aqaba town so we stayed in the hotel which also had water sports at reasonable prices. The beach is sandy and the water is crystal clear.

Reception staff are friendly and handled our complaint with a 30JD discount on the room rate which was symbolic but appreciated.

There is also free on site parking and there was plenty of space. I would return to this hotel if I was to return to Aqaba for any reason.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
InterContinetal, General Manager at InterContinental Aqaba Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear AliObaydi,

Greeting from InterContinental Aqaba Resort!

First of all please allow me to thank you for choosing InterContinental as your accommodation during your recent visit to sunny Aqaba.

We are always delighted to hear from a happy guest. And also very glad that you enjoyed your breakfast selections at the Corniche your feedback and trust is much appreciated and your comments are of high significance to us, and are taken into great consideration to allow us to have the opportunity to excel in the quality of services we provide.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

As a non smoker, it would be nice to at least enjoy the breakfast without having to choke on cigarette smoke while starting my day.
Also, had to wait 10 minutes for a table to be cleaned, as there was no one paying attention to this.
To the manager. Tell the staff to mop the steps during the night, not at 9am when everyone is walking on them.
I felt the room I was given was not the view I paid for which was over $ 200 per night.

Room Tip: Be careful if booking online. The partial beach view is just that, partial. The view is the unfinish...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JeddahTraveler
InterContinetal, General Manager at InterContinental Aqaba Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Jeddah Traveler,

Greetings from InterContinental Aqaba Resort!

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your review and for sharing your experience with us whether it’s good or bad enabling us to do better.
Please rest assured that your comments have been shared with the Department Heads concerned and corrective action has been implemented immediately to further improve our service. It is only through comments such as yours that we are able to monitor and improve our levels of service.

We hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to InterContinental Hotel Aqaba where we commit to displaying the true level of service we aspire to.