“Go to a private beach, or take a boat.”
Review of City Beach

City Beach
Ranked #11 of 44 things to do in Aqaba
Reviewed June 5, 2014

The beach is not the attraction at the Red Sea: it's the sea life. There are a lot of very painful sea urchins and of course, you should not touch the coral, so it is better to go with a group or hire a boat. I am not a group traveler, so you might take heed.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

It's a nice walk along the beach side. You see people playing, swimming and it's fun. Not really comfortable to swimm there because it's a different culture. Unless, you wear clothes.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Spent one night in Aqaba before heading up to Wadi Rum the following day and took a stroll along the city beach in the evening.
This area is typical of many places I visited in Jordan, litter and cigarette butts everywhere, pavements and street furniture in a poor state of repair and defaced road and street signs.
Such a shame because it could be a nice place with a bit of care,,

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Walking along the central beach front area with my girlfriend, who was modestly dressed so as not to cause offence, was an uncomfortable experience for both of us. The beach area is not very attractive, and certainly not somewhere I would feel comfortable sunbathing or swimming in the Red Sea. There is quite a lot of litter and even more groups of men (young and old) hanging around or walking back and forth, which may explain the constant Police presence in the area. Similarly the “Castle” is a bit of dump, surrounded by even more litter / rubbish.

Whilst walking along the beach front, sitting on the beach wall and walking out onto the short pier with my girlfriend, she was constantly being stared at by the groups of men hanging around. By my staring back at them, most then looked away, but some were more persistent. Whilst we were sitting on the beach wall, several men walked past us back and forth taking time on each occasion to stare at my girlfriend. I should point out that she was wearing long trousers and a modest top, and so was not flaunting herself in any way. This made both of us uncomfortable, and was an unfortunate occurrence as it was not consistent with our experience of men in the rest of Jordan.

We were also plagued by more persistent teenage boys wanting to sell us stuff or telling my girlfriend that they loved her. In other parts of Jordan, one answer of “no thank you” was sufficient to prevent any further sales pitch from street sellers, but not in Aqaba. It could be that the men we encountered were not locals, as their manners were not consistent with all the other Jordanians we encountered, but ultimately, it does not reflect well on Aqaba.

Our experience was not through any lack of planning, but is based on our experience, with only a limited amount of time being available and the refusal to keep paying to access “private” beaches. Jordan is not a particularly cheap place to visit which is exacerbated by the need to keep paying significant sums of money each day to visit attractions (e.g. Petra 50 JoD per person for 1 day) and beaches (e.g. Dead Sea 20 – 60 JoD per person). Maybe if we'd had a bit more time we would’ve ventured to the South Beach?

To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what Aqaba has to offer of any value for tourists, and it’s not somewhere I would be inclined to recommend. As can be seen from some of the other reviews and forum posts we weren't the only tourists to feel like this, which is a shame.

4  Thank 0K_LET5_G0
Reviewed April 6, 2014

This beach is at the end of the week be a full of local people and other nationalities
For that be a annoying and noisy and i do not advise to go there
The south beach the best for snorkling where coral reef

5  Thank Jordan Echo T