“A glimse of local culture”
Review of City Beach

City Beach
Ranked #11 of 44 things to do in Aqaba
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Visited September end on a Friday - weekend in this part of the world. The beach was crowded and it looked like a mega picnic with music, childred playing, families huddled together, etc.
Its not the typical beach to lounge around and relax however if you want to get a glimpse of the local culture and the way of life, this is an excellent place to do so in Aqaba.
Watching the sun set over the hills on the otherside of the sea and the lights of Eilat in Israel slowly beginning to glow as it become dark, I would saw its a nice experience to have while in Aqaba.
As many have mentioned, its walking disctance from many of the hotels; its not bad at all if you have a liking for the local culture...

Reviewed September 20, 2013

We drove by the beach on our way back to our cruise boat after exploring the city.
There was a nice sunset and I took these photos.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

...Steps onto soap box...

I'm probably wasting my breath here (or the electronic keystroke equivalent of breath anyway) but here goes.

This is a public beach in Jordan. A country that has only Aqaba as its 25 miles of sea coastline (Dead Sea notwithstanding as that's a very different bathing option) and only small sections of that are beach. So there will be locals there. It irritates me when people (mostly westerners) complain about locals at a locals beach: what did you expect??? We (Westerners) are the visitors to THEIR country. A conservative muslim country. There are other beaches to go to if you want to remain in a Western cocoon, but I'm not really sure why people would go on holiday to a foreign country just to surround themselves with what they have at home. But that's just me...

I know I've said this before on Tripadvisor but it needs repeating: Travel broadens the mind...of some.

Rant over.

We went to this beach because it's walking distance from the hotel we stayed in and had a cooling dip of the evening. Nice views of the sunset and cooling water when the temperature was 37 degrees C. My wife dressed conservatively in t-shirt and shorts as that's more in keeping with what the locals do. Being quite tall she generally attracts attention, but didn't feel uncomfortable swimming with the other families. There were only a few other visitors around.

Plenty of offers to us for glass-bottomed boat rides and one guy wanted money to take photos of him on his quad-bike but a friendly no and a smile was all that was needed. Once swimming we weren't asked or hassled in any way.

It's not a great beach, but it was nice for a cooling dip and to watch how the locals do same. Kids were running about and jumping off the jetty. Some adults were hesitatingly trying to swim and some were more confident. It was basically families enjoying the water at sunset as you'd find on plenty of beaches around the world.
No waves.
Some areas of sand and some rocky areas underwater.
A bit of rubbish strewn about but nothing unhygenic or dirty. (but once you realise that pretty much the entire middle east has the 'billowing plastic bag' as its national floral emblem you get over it)

1  Thank NTIcedCoffee
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Shame would be a lovely beach if it was not for the litter and unfortunately the beggars who refuse to go away but they do not seem to bother the Jordanians

Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Yes it's free. Yes its a beach. BUT...

If you are a white woman you are not welcome here. I had a tin can thrown at me despite wearing jeans and a top. It was the only time in Jordan I felt unsafe. I would rather pay the 7.5dinar to enter berenice than go here ever, ever again. It had left me with a bad view of Aqaba.

1  Thank allie1904