“A stunning hotel but with some communications problems” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kempinski Hotel Aqaba Red Sea

Kempinski Hotel Aqaba Red Sea
Ranked #1 of 39 Hotels in Aqaba
Cairo, Egypt
“A stunning hotel but with some communications problems”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

My Deputy booked us into this hotel for three nights and I had heard so many good remarks that I was looking forward to the retreat. And I was not disappointed.A contemporary hotel sitting on the beach at the head of the Gulf of Aqaba, every action is orchestrated to please the customer. Check in was seamless and they asked me what newspaper I would like at my room daily. Given a choice, I answered, "International." But I never saw it!

My room was on the fifth floor overlooking the pools and the beach and the Gulf. Stunning would not be an overstatement! The room is large and very well appointed. The balcony was large. The bathroom was well laid out and the bathtub had a picture window view of the bedroom. Not sure what that is about unless it's a subtle effort to get you to rent another room for the kids.

So the hotel and location is beautiful and the room and breakfast is quite acceptable, although I wonder who the Sherlock was that designed the buffet logistics. The hot dishes are lined up directly in front of the chefs. And this is where everyone lines up to place their egg orders. So good luck trying to help yourself to the hot dishes while the feeding frenzy is focused on eggs. I've had better breakfast buffets but it was perfectly acceptable and the view from the breakfast veranda makes up for the logistical faux pas.

So what could possibly erode from this? Communications. Starting with the lack of my daily newspaper, my next request was from the room. I called Guest Services and the exchange was extremely courteous and professional. I ordered a bucket of ice, a glass and tissues. I received a bucket of ice. But before I had an opportunity to complain, Guest Services had called to check on my satisfaction. By then I had poured myself a drink in a coffee cup. So then a young lady showed up at my door and held out a glass with a puzzled look wondering why I would need a glass. Because the "glass" in the bathroom is plastic and about the size of a shot glass, lady. And I like my whisky tall. Then she asked if there was anything else. OK. Good follow up. I asked for tissue and she asked what kind. I told her for my nose. I was informed that housekeeping would bring it. Knock, knock. I open the door and here is housekeeping with a roll of toilet paper. Sigh.

The next day I remembered I had forgotten to tip the housekeeper so I called again and asked for the housekeeper that had cleaned my room.
"Do you need a cleanup?"
"No, I forgot to tip him."
Laughter. "OK."
Then the phone rang and I was informed that a colleague was at my door. I hadn't heard the knock or ring. So I answered the door and was asked if I needed a housekeeper. "Yes, the one who cleaned my room.
"Anything wrong?"
"No, I just want to tip him."
"Oh. Okay."
Knock knock. "Do you need a towel?"
"No, I need the housekeeper who cleaned my room."
"That was me."
"OK. I forgot to tip you."
End of drama.

So if I had to guess based on empirical evidence, I would suggest that the hotel would probably benefit from a workshop on listening skills for their staff.

But the hotel and service is classy. Just need to ratchet it up a notch!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

If you are looking for a stylish yet relaxed, extremely well run hotel in Aqaba, then look no further. You will not regret booking this hotel, and if you are looking for a resort that is super-friendly, small but still big enough to keep you interested without being hotel-bound, then give Aqaba a try.
FIRSTLY, THE PLUS POINTS ABOUT THE HOTEL.
1. From start to finish the staff cannot do enough to help.
We had e-mailed their "Lady in red" Alejandra, prior to arrival asking for a high level room, both for quietness and the great views over the Gulf of Aqaba to Eilat in Israel, Egypt and Saudi. We were allocated a room on the sixth floor which was absolutely excellent. British Airways had managed (yet again) to lose one of our cases in Heathrow - (what an embarrassment that airport is to the UK) - and the reception staff and Alejandra tried all day on the telephone to help locate it for us. They offered emergency toiletries and even offered to send a taxi to the airport to collect the missing case. Our case turned up 3 days later and was collected without asking by Mohammed the Aqaba Longwood rep and delivered to the hotel, his help and the service he provided was amazing, even though the issue was not of his making. The breakfast crew are also brilliant with swift service.
2. The room (a standard room)
The décor is great and there is lots of space with plenty of storage, a free non-alcoholic minibar (great for cold water and cola and topped up every day) and excellent bathroom. The balcony is large and private, with all rooms having a sea view. There is a decent hairdryer, and we requested an ironing board and iron on arrival which they let us keep for the duration of our stay.
3. Wi-Fi
There is no Wi-Fi in the room unless you have a laptop in which vase there is a fixed internet connection. However, there is free wifi in the public areas including reception, the pool and beach. What we did find though via experimentation, is that you can get Wi-Fi on your room balcony, even on the sixth floor, so problem solved if you need to access the net for e-mails via I-pad or kindle.
4. The Atmosphere
The hotel is a true 5 star hotel, yet manages to create a lovely friendly, relaxed atmosphere in keeping with its beachside location. No need for long trousers or smart dresses unless you choose, but as long as you respect the hotel ie no bare-chested men (or ladies!) in reception the beachwear, shorts and flip-flops are perfectly fine. The hotel is relatively quiet as it is not massive, and suits both families and couples.
5. Breakfast
The choice is not massive, but the quality is excellent and offers a choice of western or Arabic dishes. The breakfast area has an amazing view over the bay from an outside terrace. The tea, coffee and juices are all great quality, which is always a sign of how good the hotel is! The crew and the chefs are really friendly and efficient. There is always a choice of free Kempinski newspapers to ponder over.
6. The Gym, beach and Pool
The pool area looks fantastic from above, right out of a glossy magazine, with itrs design and use of grass and plants and hedging. however is probably inadequate for the hotel, being a mish-mash of a long thin main pool, complimented by a Jacuzzi and childrens pool. It would have been better to have a large main pool, but instead there are grassy areas to put more loungers on, so there is some trade-off, as all of the loungers have decent brollies, which are needed most of the year. The pool loungers do tend to fill up quite early in the day, but to their credit both by the pool and on the beach the hotel team will remove towels if they are left to "reserve" a bed, so you can always find a lounger with an umbrella somewhere in the property. The private beach has its own jetty, but there are always loungers available. The sand is fine and there is only a small line of rocks/stones to negotiate going into the sea. The beach slopes quite gently so is good for kids. Don't expect to be able to snorkel here though - you will see nothing. The fish are all further round the coast where the reefs and corals are.
The gym is good but small with well maintained machines including steppers, cycles and treadmills, just cardio, no weight machines, with the addition of 3 benches and a selection of hand weights. though disappointingly has a very limited view of the sea through the slit styled windows. But unused on all of my visits, so it was like having your own private gym with MTV, bliss.
AND THE NEGATIVES
1. Food and Drink prices.
You always expect to pay a premium in a five star hotel, but the premium here is just too great when compared to prices in the town. We drink very little alcohol, but when faced with paying the equivalent of £10 for a beer or a glass of wine, it is too much. We therefore only ate in the hotel once, preferring instead to go out each evening into the town where there are plentiful restaurants of all qualities, and where it is actually great fun to find where the locals are eating and try some of their great food - we have put in some reviews if you wish to check these out, but you can eat for as little as £6 for two and have great fun at the same time!.
2. Security.
Particularly with the current issues in Syria, we understand the need to be careful, and have experienced this before in Egypt. However, you are faced with two separate security checks when coming into the hotel each time, the real purpose of these is to assess whether you are trying to smuggle in your own food or drink, which is forbidden, not that we tried, but we did see a few confrontations and confiscations this had been mentioned Trip advisor reports before our holiday. The only thing that they let you bring in is water. The effect of this is that you are made to feel something of a criminal every time you have been into town and return, because the "welcome back" is only offered once you have passed their screening. A more sympathetic approach could be taken. Usually going in and out of a hotel you are asked for your room number, here you are asked are you staying here? when they have seen you leave only 20 minutes ago
THE RESORT
A lovely resort which feels completely safe whatever time you are out. The "old town" has souks and a reasonable selection of shops, but don't expect western style malls or stores. The main public beach is a 15 minute walk away, and has a brilliant atmosphere along the "prom", with whole families sitting chatting on the beach at the weekend and in the evenings, showing how strong the family spirit still is here.
There are plenty of restaurants to chose from, and the smells of the cooking and the spice and tobacco shops make an evening stroll around the city a great experience- everyone is super-friendly, and the shopkeepers are not pushy like in Egypt. if you just want to look then it is fine
Diving here is good, though not as exciting as further down the gulf in Egypt. Most of the fish are relatively small, so you can see the usual reef fish, a few turtles, and some excellent corals, but nothing of any size. The real benefit though, is unlike Egypt, you can have the dive sites to yourself most days - no boat parks here!
Trips out. Going to Petra is an absolute must, if you want to use the best tour company, see my review of viajordan - not cheap but brilliant. We also went to see the sunset at Wadi Rum on a four hour trip from the Kempinski, arranged by the "lady in red" (their name for a concierge!) and this is another trip worth taking. You can make a day of it and even stay overnight in a Bedouin camp, but we liked the comfort of the Kempinski better!
OVERALL
Despite the little niggles (and after all no hotel is perfect) the hotel is truly excellent and highly recommended and we would go back without hesitation.

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea view, but the higher rooms have the best view over the entire bay, and are quie...
1 Thank Steve T
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

I recently stayed at the Kempinski in Aqaba.This had been my first stay with Kempinski brand I definitely was not disappointed.Check in was quick and I was assisted by a very helpful and friendly assistant named Mohammed Badour ,nothing was too difficult for this young man thumbs up to him.Rooms were far beyond my expectations and so was service.Amenities in room were not of the ordinary.Breakfast was a good variety .Pools were well maintained.This hotel definitely ticks all the boxes ,I definitely would return again.

Room Tip: Rooms on 7 th floor are suites spectacular
1 Thank abdullah0811
Amman, Jordan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

People there take good care of you from the moment you arrive to hotel, assist you with everything since you enter the hotel door till you be in room. the rooms are fantastic speically the panoramic room and deluxe room, the sea view from all rooms is amazing as you are setting in the middle of the sea. the privacy high, the food is excellent, the night life inside the hotel interesting to different taste, but the pool should have been designed to be bigger however, the beach is sandy and nice, but sometimes you like to relax in the pool :)

it is kind of expensive, but definitely worth it.

Room Tip: if you are couple who are looking for romantic night so take the panorama room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Daoud Travel a
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

The Spa is amazing. The pool is beautiful. We ended up eating at a barbeque on the beach because we came on the one night a week they did it. The best massage I ever had. LOVED it! Now, you can see the shipping containers nearby, so your views aren't unspoiled, but every room has an ocean view and I guess I'm pretty easy to please. I also have to say that we did not spend a full day/evening at the hotel - we spent the day snorkeling and then came back to the hotel later in the evening. A guest from a week ago mentioned construction, but I don't remember seeing any off the top of my head.

We felt that, with the package we booked for this hotel, we got WAY more than we paid for. My husband and I would have extended for another night if we didn't have to get back to work. If you come and have some extra money (it was kind of expensive, but definitely worth it), go to the spa, especially if you've just spent the last few days in Petra.

My husband and I have fallen in love with Aqaba and we'll be back, hopefully with others and hopefully at this hotel.

Room Tip: If what I can tell is accurate, all rooms have an ocean view.
3 Thank Danae_H
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

The best hotel that we stayed at in Jordan.

Very stylist, peaceful and elegant.

The rooms are stunning and the service is excellent.

Food and drink prices are VERY high but then it's the same at all of the major hotels.

Montreal, QC, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Everything about the Kempinski in Aqaba screams luxury and service. The staff is very nice and friendly and helped us plan our day trip to Petra. The rooms are clean and the food and drinks are good. I highly recommend the breakfast and dinner buffets! The pool and beach area is great! If there is one thing that can be said about this place, it's that the prices for drinks are 10 times the price for the same items found at a market across the street from the hotel! Examples: bottles of beers and water are 10-15 JOD each - when they can be purchased within Aqaba for a discount. Good luck bringing drinks onto the property as it is almost impossible to do so!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends