“Good hotel,bad service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Aqaba
Ramallah, Palestinian Territories
“Good hotel,bad service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

We spent three days at this hotel , great place but bad service we waited 5hours till our room was ready ! The food was good but it's far from the Aqaba's downtown in a short review I liked it but they need to work on their staff ,the rooms were good specially the ones next to the pool

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Alaa A, Manager at Grand Swiss-Belresort Tala Bay Aqaba, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Mr. Fawzi,

Thank you very much for writing review on tripadviosr.

We are glad to hear that you are happy with our rooms and food. We are located at the south beach of Aqaba around 18 KM from Aqaba downtown and we provide free shuttle service.

July is our off season this year and we have many rooms available even for very early arrivals, can you please send more specific details about your arrival time to alaa.awad@radissonblu.com

The check-in time is15:00 hrs and we offer early check-in subject to availability after 08:00 hrs at no additional cost.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

This is our first visit to jordan and probably won't be back for a while. So this is a review for those who are visiting aqaba for the first time and want to decide which resorts to book. Radisson blu is a huge resort with numbers of pools and a private beach. First of all the room is clean and provide the basics but the bathroom is very small equipped with a tiny shower area. No tub. I found small bathroom quite unusual for a beach resort. The room is quite dated considering its a relatively new hotel. The pools are nice. Water is surprising cold considering the very hot sun and warm breeze. We did find the pool not very clean with several water bottles floating in the pool. Surprised that life guards were too busy chatting among them selves than to pay attention on what was floating on the pool. The beach was dirty with a lot of garbage along the shore. Not the private beach I have in mind. The bottom of water is rocky and supposedly has a lot of sea urchin and rock fish. Bring your water shoes if you plan to swim in the sea. Not much food choices as is Ramadan and low season regardless food is bad and expensive.
To put into perspective, you need to lower the expectation of 5 star hotels in Jordan and go with the flow.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for writing review on tripadvisor.

Our standard room size is around 32 SQM and this is good size for hotel or resort room. I recommend to look at suite option if are looking for more specious room or bathroom.

I apologize for any inconvenience you had at our pools and regarding the beach, our area the south beach of Aqaba is national reserve and one of the best diving - snorkeling sites.
The beach is sandy but we cannot put sands in the water and guest will need to wear shoes if they like to walk in the water.
Using the jetty for swimming is safe and will not need to wear shoes.

I apologize for the inconvenience and best regards,

Greece, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

We arrive the hotel early morning with the Turkish air line around 5:00 Am, then we asked the reception if we can get our room before the check-in time they brought nice welcome drink and they have been very nice and they confirm our early check-in.

the rooms are nice and big enough and very fresh, we went to the beach but we could not swim because there was alot of rocks inside the sea. we went to swim at the invinty pool (Adult pool) its was one of the amazing pools inside Radisson.

breakfast was very delicious and variety as well.

after two nights we went back to amman for couple days before we leave jordan.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Alaa A, Manager at Grand Swiss-Belresort Tala Bay Aqaba, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your nice review on tripadvisor. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we are looking forward to host once more here in near future.

Amman Governorate, Jordan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2014

I had stayed one night in June 2014 with my grandmother and mother who were visiting me from abroad. As their time was short, I wanted to offer them an outstanding experience in Aqaba for the time they had. I booked with the hotel directly, reserving a double room with an extra third bed.
Arriving at the hotel at the 3 pm check-in time, we were informed at the reception that the room was not ready, and we would have to wait for an indefinite amount of time. In any of my previous experiences with other 5 and 4 star hotels, when the room isn't ready I would be offered an apology and an immediate room upgrade. As it was here, I had to take the initiative to say that waiting around was unacceptable and something should be done. After discussing the issue with the receptionist for a while, we were offered a larger room with a sea view in lieu of our reserved room that was not yet ready. As soon as we were escorted to the room however, it was clear that it was not up to the standard that I had been promised.
I immediately called the reception, who were unable to help and denied what they had promised. They assured me that management would be in touch, but that didn't happen. Instead I managed to get the contact information of a manager myself.
Once I called him, it was clear he attached no importance to my call or concerns, and instead I was yelled at throughout most of the phone call, had my intelligence insulted, and was called a liar. I will skip further details, however I would like to note I have not received any apology or compensation or indeed any phone call. In the end, after 2 hours of arguing and another 2 of waiting, we were finally transferred to the room that had been initially promised.

As for the facilities themselves, they are nice, with the pools not being too crowded, although I wished for a proper fitness center instead of the outdoor one provided, and a working wifi connection, as it was rather weak. The food at breakfast was nice, although I had an experience there that again showed how on edge everyone was. When I picked up a bottle of water from the many that were at the buffet, to take back to the table I was immediately approached by two people from different directions to tell me that it was forbidden; not a big problem but I felt like I was being treated as a security risk, or on fire due to their reaction. The location of course is wonderful on the Red Sea.
If not for the awful service, our stay could have been fabulous. The Movenpick is located right next to this hotel and the staff there is significantly more laid back, professional, and really do try to make your stay relaxing and enjoyable, with any problems that might arise being swiftly dealt with, with no need for argument or headaches. In conclusion, the Red Sea is definitely a must visit locale, but perhaps a different choice of hotel is in order.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Asim A
Alaa A, Manager at Grand Swiss-Belresort Tala Bay Aqaba, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Dr. Al Omari

Thank you very much for your email and for sharing your experience with us, in tripadvisor as well, I really apologize for the inconvenience and for any miss understanding.

Our records shows that you already had advanced reservation for double room with extra bed, at arrival Carina offered upgrade to superior room because standard room was not ready, as I understood you did not like the room size. Later on you had another upgrade to deluxe room when it became available around 6:30 pm.

The extra bed we provide for the additional 3rd person size is (90CM x 2 M) and this is just called extra bed. We import our extra beds from states, the beds are top quality.

There is no room with king size bed plus a queen bed exist anywhere, I apologize if Carina called the extra bed queen bed in front of you.

I checked with our Front Office staff, they tried to call you in the room for move and you was not in the room even once your mother or grandmother answered the phone.

Your comments about some employees are noted and this will be investigated, for sure we do not accept this kind of attitude.

Finally Dr. Al Omari when you travel bring you to Aqaba again please let me know, we will make sure you will have an outstanding experience.

Please contact me if you need any further assistance and best regards,

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

This is a very luxurious resort. We were greeted with welcome drinks (always a nice touch) and shown around the grounds by the staff who was very professional and courteous at all times. We rode in a golf cart and were shown the grounds. The room was very well appointed and the beds were so comfortable I didn't want to get up. There was also a large plate of fresh fruit waiting for us when we arrived. This resort is quite large and has everything you'd want like a swim shop, dive counter just off the premises, multiple restaurants/bars, and gift shop. The beach was also clean. The sand is not that soft though and extremely hot in the sun! There was an abundance of available lounge chairs around the beach and pool.

We dined at the restaurant for dinner one night and had their breakfast buffet as well. The food was pretty good. This was definitely a first class resort experience. The diving and snorkeling around the resort beach front is very lackluster so you have to go to other areas nearby.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank jing0423
Alaa A, Manager at Grand Swiss-Belresort Tala Bay Aqaba, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at our Resort, we really appreciate your positive reviews and the nice pictures you posted for some of our facilities.

Your kind words will motivate us to keep on delivering a true Radisson Blu hospitality and we are glad to hear that we managed to make your stay enjoyable and memorable one.

Looking forward for your next visit to Aqaba and best regards,

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

We stayed here for two nights and really enjoyed our time here. The staff were very friendly - special mention to Omar who looked after us for check in & check out, and Faris at Baywatch bar - both of whom stood out from the crowd. Easy access to the beach, lots of pools to choose from, massages were great and easy to arrange for water activities.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the kids pool
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Alan_Irene
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for writing tripadvisor review. We are glad to heat that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to host you once more in the near future.

Your feedback is highly appreciated and we will share it with our team including Omar & Faris.

Amman, Jordan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

To Whom it may concern,

We booked 2 rooms at your property for one night from the 4th till the 5th of July, we were extremely shocked from your staff attitude, starting with the Chefs and waitresses at the breakfast, ending with your staff at the pool, sorry to tell you that your breakfast staff don't have any service culture, they don't have smile nor eye contact, nothing, really nothing, specially the chefs at the omelet and waffle stations, I asked the chef to add some salt and pepper to my omelet, and his answer was "No salt available here, you can find it at your table" which was a surprising answer for me!! Only the welcoming waitress who was wearing a traditional dress was smiling to us!

As for the poor service at the pool, we asked for an empty glass with ice, the answer was I can not provide you with a glass without a drink! or you can go back to your room and take your ice bucket to fill it from the ice machine near your room.

From my point of view I think you should train your staff to be more polite and let them adapt to the guest's request. I feel sorry for such huge nice property with this bad service.

Nadine Khabbaz

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Location
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
3 Thank Nadine K
Alaa A, Manager at Grand Swiss-Belresort Tala Bay Aqaba, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Nadine,

First I would like thank you very much for staying with us and for sharing your comments. On behalf of the entire team I really apologize for the inconvenience.

Regarding your experience at the omelet station, I apologize again this is not our standard at all and this issue will be addressed immediately.

All resorts in Jordan are not permitting food & drinks from outside except baby food and water, we have ice machines for guest use around the resort but if the guest ask for ice we should provide it, you are right.

We hope to host here in the near future and provide you with better experience.