“Great staff, super clean and quiet”

Buffalo Marriott Niagara
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Amherst
Reviewed February 16, 2011

A Marriott is usually one constant that you can count on and this hotel is no exception. From the front desk staff to the chamber maids. Everyone was smiling and made eye contact and wished you a good day. That's the reason I stay at Marriots.
A real nice touch was the chef who was cooking breakfast came around and asked if you were enjoying your breakfast. I have met her before, a real gem.
I ddi not eat at Holigans as it was under restoration, I hope so, as the last time the restaurant was a disaster. So, if they get that up to speed I would vote that it is a great hotel.
As an aside, park out front to check in and then drive to the back to get to the room. It is an odd layout but seems to work under most conditions.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Marriott-Mgt, General Manager at Buffalo Marriott Niagara, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2011

Thank you for the positve feedback which I will be sharing with our staff. The property prides itself on customer service and I'm glad you had the opportunity to experience it. Have a great day.

There are newer reviews for Buffalo Marriott Niagara

Reviewed February 9, 2011

My husband stayed at the Buffalo Marriott for one night before our 7:30am flight to Orlando.

Check in was quick and painless. Our room was clean and comfortable. Made use of the computers in the business center. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to use the fitness area because it was one of the biggest I had ever seen...plenty of machines and weight equipment. Quite impressive.

The shuttle service begins at 5:00am and departs every 1/2 hour. We took the 5:30am shuttle and arrived at the airport within 10-15 min. A very quick ride.

Pick up at the airport on our return was also quite quick, maybe a 10-15 wait for the shuttle, which promptly brought us back to our car at the hotel. Being that it was January in Buffalo and we had parked outdoors in the parking lot, we came prepared with a shovel in the back of our car, anticipating that we would have to dig ourselves out for the snow but it wasn't too bad at all.

The only minor issue that we had was with a charge on our credit card for Internet service, which we had been told was complementary for Marriott Reward members. We contacted the hotel which put us in touch with the accounting department who said that they would be able to reverse the charge. The internet connection in the room was a bit slow but there is also a business center with 3 computers/internet and a printer.

I would recommend the Buffalo Marriott especially if you are looking for a reasonable Park & Fly package.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Marriott-Mgt, General Manager at Buffalo Marriott Niagara, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and it was convenient for your travel needs. Have a great day.

Reviewed January 26, 2011

I base all of my reviews on what I expect from that chain. I will not review a Motel 6 and base my expectations on a four-star hotel.

I have now stayed at this Marriott three times. Each stay has been a pleasure.

Parking: Ample free parking. Suggestion, park in front of the hotel to check in then drive you car to the rear of the hotel to park otherwise it is a long walk from the front desk to the elevators.

Check-in: Always easy. I have checked in as early as 1pm

Getting the type of room I request: Always offered King or two double beds. Any other request I have made has been honored.

The Room: Exactly what you would expect from a Marriott and then some.

Room Cleanliness: Spotless

Temperature control: Using both AC in the summer and heat now in the winter, always worked well. Individual thermostat in each room

Outside sound: None, except for the occasional door closing out in the hallway.

Bed: Very comfortable (to me) Six pillows on a king bed.

TV: WOW! 32” LG LCD High Def with HD channels & Premium channels. Simply an amazing picture! The TV swivels from left to right so you can watch in bed, while sitting in the chair or at the desk.

Lighting: WOW! (again). My pet peeve in hotels is lack of lighting. These rooms can be as bright as Times Square if you want. The bathroom is also, very well light.

Work Space: Nice desk with phone, light, plugs, etc.

Internet: High Speed wireless & wired in the room. Free if you are a member of Marriott rewards.

Restaurants: Just one, it is a Houlihans. I have not eaten there, as there are so many restaurant options within three miles of this hotel. They sell Starbucks coffee and assorted muffins in the gift shop.

Gym: One of the nicest you will see in a hotel. Plenty of (seems like) new equipment, all of which is very clean.

Pool: Yes and it is indoors.

Elevators: Three and all are very fast.

Very convenient location just off the highway. Easy to get to.

Would I stay here again? YES!

1  Thank TravelGuyNY64
Marriott-Mgt, General Manager at Buffalo Marriott Niagara, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review regarding your stay. We appreciate all the positve feedback which I will be sharing with our staff. Have a great day.

Reviewed January 15, 2011

This was my third or fourth stay and I've booked my next one. You can park fairly close to the main front door, and they are right by the main highway, so in the morning you can get on your way pretty quick. The rooms are pretty large with very comfortable bed, large desk, flat screen TV and very clean and efficient bathroom. Breakfast was served in the restaurant, and the service was excellent. The staff were very friendly and the server was happy and very efficient, nothing was too much for her - it truly made a good start to the day. Good job Marriott - I'll be back!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Marriott-Mgt, General Manager at Buffalo Marriott Niagara, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2011

Thank you for the positve feedback which we will be sharing with our staff. We look forward to your next stay with us. Have a great day.

Reviewed December 30, 2010

My family and I stayed at this hotel for one night in December for our pre flight to Orlando the next morning which was 6:40am! The price includes 7 night parking and complimentary shuttle to and from the Airport. All the staff were friendly and helpful. Our kids made good use of the swimming pool. Free wifi for Marriott members was a bonus. We booked the shuttle for 5am and we were at the BUF airport by 5:10am! Would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Marriott-Mgt, General Manager at Buffalo Marriott Niagara, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2011

Thank you for all the positve feedback regarding your stay. We appreciate your business and look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed December 24, 2010

We stayed there for one night and overall the rooms were quite nice (on par for Marriott) and even though there were functions going on downstairs it didn't really disturb our rest.
However, the front desk service leaves much to be desired. On checking out I noticed that I was TRIPLE charged for internet access even though it was all used in the same room. When I brought this up to the front desk (ASHLEE MILLER), she gave me terribly unprofessional attitude and stated "that's just what we do here at this hotel!". I have stayed at numerous Marriott's around the world plus all other hotels and have NEVER been charged multiple times for internet access billed to the same room. Neither would I have expected to receive attitude from the front desk who instead of correcting the mistake basically told me "tough luck". She definitely should not be working for Marriott (or any other customer service position at any establishment) as it reflects very poorly on the overall company. I will be following this up with Marriott's head office.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Marriott-Mgt, General Manager at Buffalo Marriott Niagara, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2010

Thank you for your input provided on this site. I apologize for the issue that occurred regarding your internet charges and have followed up with the appropriate staff about the situation. The Buffalo Marriott takes great pride in its customer service and your feedback is important to us.

Reviewed November 30, 2010

We are Canadians tired to pay all the expensive taxes whenever we fly out of Pearson Airport in Toronto.
It was our first time flying out of Buffalo and we were recommended to try to get the Buffalo Marriott hotel for the night before via Priceline. To my research, this Marriott is the only one in the Buffalo area that will allow your car to be parked there and offer free shuttle both ways EVEN if you book it through Priceline. Other hotels offer this option but at a premium rate.

We stayed there on Monday, November 8th.

The hotel on the website would have costed me 169.00 plus taxes but I was able to get it for 60.00 (77.29 in total after taxes via Priceline).

OVERALL:
The hotel was very good. Everyone working there was very nice, from check-in personnel to shuttle drivers. We stayed in room 731. I recommend this hotel to anyone flying out of Buffalo. Would I stay again? Absolutely, IF I can find a good deal through Priceline. At the regular price on the website, I can do much better at other hotels closer to the airport.

SERVICE:
We didn't explore the hotel a lot. Unfortunately we got there a bit late at night (after 8:30 PM) and left around 9:30 AM to the airport the next day. Hotel has an outdoor pool which was closed in November. It also has an indoor pool and hot tub which looked nice but we didn't have time to use. We also saw a gym with IPod compatible equipment. There are 3 computers in a business center for guest to use for free, where you can print boarding passes, email, etc. It's a good alternative if you don't have a laptop.

Full buffet breakfast the next morning costed us 13.00 per adult at their onsite restaurant Houlihan's Restaurant & Bar. Differently from what we were told over the phone when we called the hotel (that kids any age would pay 7.00), our kids were free (ages 2 and 4). Total bill including taxes and tip was 31.00 which made perfect sense to us as it was pretty cold to dress up the kids, hop in the car and head somewhere else to come back to the hotel and take the shuttle. Good selection (not great) for breakfast items.
Make sure to say HI to Jeanne when you go there. She's the lady in charge of the omelet station and she was so much fun. She works at the hotel for 18 years and only called in sick once. Our oldest kid had a blast talking to her about his upcoming Disney trip.

The shuttle was great both ways. On our way to the airport, although it was scheduled to 9:45 AM, as soon as we got to the lobby, the driver asked if we wanted to leave right away. That was around 9:25 AM. On our way back, I called the hotel and was told the driver was nearby which was true. He arrived at the airport in 7 minutes. Hotel is around a 12 minute drive from the airport. You keep the key of your car, there are MANY available parking spaces there in front of the main entrance.

LOCATION:
I didn't find the location really good. There's nothing really that interests me nearby, it's not by the airport compared to other hotels in Buffalo and not so close to the malls or outlets in Buffalo. It's very close to the University of Buffalo if someone is going there.

CLEANLINESS:
Room was very clean, I was impressed. I loved when I moved the bed to the wall (as we have a 2 year old that usually falls off beds when there are no bed rails) and there was a sign there, reading: "Yes, we cleaned here too". Tub in the washroom was very clean as well.

ROOM:
Average size room. Very comfortable beds and pillows, digital heating worked well. LCD screen TV had good selection of channels and pay-per-view movies. Bathroom had shampoo, conditioner and body splash. Towels were thicker than what I usually see in hotels.

VALUE:
At 60.00 via Priceline, this was a steal, amazing value. At 169.00 (if I were to book with the hotel directly), I would have been disappointed, as that rate doesn't even include a continental breakfast. To compare, I had a cancellable reservation with La Quinta Inn (closer to the airport) for a night stay, free parking, shuttle to/from airport and continental breakfast for 95.00 after taxes. I know many can say you can't compare La Quinta and Marriott, but when you're only sleeping at the hotel and really interested in the parking for 9 days and shuttle service, Marriott wouldn't be a good value at 169.00 plus taxes.

SLEEP QUALITY:
Very good. Good mattress and pillows. I had read people complaining about thin walls. I didn't have this issue. The hotel wasn't full at all though, being a Monday night. Curtains were good, so you could have no light at all if you wanted in the morning.

TIP:
Make sure you sign up to Marriott's reward program; it's free on their website. You get free wireless in your room, which otherwise costs 13.00 a night. I had to ask for it at reception and they gave me the password right away.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Marriott-Mgt, General Manager at Buffalo Marriott Niagara, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2010

Thank you for the positive feedback which i will be sharing with our staff. Have a great day.