“Solid Choice”

Buffalo Marriott Niagara
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Amherst
Reviewed May 18, 2009

Stayed for 1 night recently because it was the hotel awarded through Priceline. The hotel rooms have been renovated recently and the king sized room was large, comfortable and spotlessly clean. The hotel is full service conference center including indoor and outdoor pools (in season of course) business center, room service. The staff was exceptionally friendly. What I considered to be plusses were the new feel (renovation) and the reasonable prices for the amenities. Had breakfast from room service which was nicely done and very reasonable at $12.95 for hotel standards. Even the mini bar (which I did not use) had a reasonable price list. Also, the brand new fitness center was huge! If you need this hotel because of SUNY Buffalo, I would not hesitate to choose it.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank skipsterNewYork
There are newer reviews for Buffalo Marriott Niagara

Reviewed May 3, 2009

Stayed for 1 night on a business trip. The service was better than most 5-star hotels that I have stayed at. The property itself is decent, around a 3-star quality.

What makes this place stand out is the service. When checking in, I asked if there was any breakfast included in the room, which was paid for by the company I had a meeting with. The kind lady behind the desk informed me that there was not a breakfast plan included, but did give me access to the 'club floor(or whatever it is called), at no extra charge.

The next morning, I was late for the breakfast, they were cleaning up and getting rid of the food. The manager was there, and offered to bring me whatever I want to the room, free of charge. He sent up eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, and potatoes, enough for 3 people! Then, the person bringing up the food didn't even accept a tip!

Afterwards, my meeting ended up being late, so they allowed me to check out at 4:30 PM. It should be noted that I have no rewards membership at Marriott. I will definitely stay here again if I ever have to visit Buffalo.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 25, 2009

While some past reviews on this site are on the negative side, I must admit that I was a little apprehensive in staying here as well. My stay was by far one of the most comfortable, enjoyable and in direct proximity to a plethora of shopping malls. The main purpose of our stay was shopping, and it truly was a treat to come back to a modern, comfortable, spacious and clean room after a long day on our feet. The rooms have clearly been updated and reflect a modern, cozy feel with flat-screen televisions, granite entryway flooring and beautiful bedding. The gym is beautiful, as is the pool. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 2, 2009

So I checked in here and was expecting something pretty bad. I was blown away by the attentive staff. The hotel seems entirely updated. I checked in early and got a great room on the 10th floor. The lounge was clean and bright. The Hotel is right off the expressway and although it's not so pretty it is very easy to connect to points within Buffalo and also the NYS Thruway to get over to Rochester or points further East.
I spent 4 nights here and thought it was a great property.
I ate at the Houligans? resturant twice and was satisfied with the meal and the service both times.
My only criticism was that gap under the room door seemed a bit large, and at times the hallway noise would come into the room. Being on the 10th floor seemed to limit the traffic and noise, but I wonder how it would be on busier floors.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Marriott-Mgt, Hotel Manager at Buffalo Marriott Niagara, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2009

Thanks for taking the time to write a response regarding your stay in Buffalo. We appreciate your kind words about our attentive staff as Four Star service is one of our goals. Like most hotels the gap under the door helps with air flow in your guest room as well as in the guest corridors. The goal is to keep the air flowing all around the building to provide the best air quality for both customers and employees.
Thanks again for your comments and we look forward to you staying with us again.

Reviewed February 17, 2009

Rooms were upgraded with a flat screen and modernly decorated. Beds were very comfortable and room was very clean.

Would definitely stay here again.

Location was close to shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2008

We are regular visitors to Buffalo, and this is usually one of our favorite places to stay. It's a nice hotel, with nice amenities, and it's in a great location. The rooms are spotlessly clean, and remodeling has spruced up the property.

Unfortunately, on a visit over the Christmas holidays, we had a serious problem.

On Christmas night, thieves broke into our vehicle, stealing about $500 in items. The staff was sympathetic when we reported the incident, but their initial responses were disturbing: one clerk immediately asked, "You were parked in the Red Roof Inn lot, right?" (Red Roof is next door to the Marriott, but it would be quite a hike to park in that lot instead of the Marriott lot). After we asked him to contact the police, another clerk said, "They should be here in a couple of minutes. They usually respond quickly when we call them about stuff like this."

The cops told us that vehicle break-ins are common in and around the University at Buffalo campus, which is a block away from the Marriott. They also said that the Marriott lot is easy prey for theives, because the hotel has no cameras in the lot, little overnight security, and the guest parking area is tucked behind the hotel, at least a hundred yards from the front desk.

The hotel is not designed for guest security. The guest rooms are located in a tower at the back of the complex, separated from the front desk by ballrooms, restaurants, courtyards, and exercise area. Doors at the back of the complex, convenient to the elevators and the guest rooms, are not secure: anyone can wander in.

I really like this hotel. It's a nice place to stay. But it really stinks to have your car burglarized on Christmas Day, and it really stinks that a big corporation like Marriott doesn't do more to ensure the safety of its guests.

• Stayed: December 2008
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank CortMc
Reviewed December 30, 2008

First, I would like to mention that I am a Platinum with Marriott hotels. They did upgrade me to the concierge floor....unfortunately, it seems that every one else was upgraded also. I was there on business and the check-in was fast and efficient. The room itself was standard marriott. The bathroom was microscopic in size. I had to change my room 2 times because of hallway noise the first time and my "neighbor" attempting to break in to my room through the locked adjoining door the second time. The other downside is that the front desk people were hesitant of moving me until they saw I was a platinum member. Then their attitude changed. The food in the restaurant was very good and was the location. Overall, this was an OK hotel but be aware that the walls are paper thin and you can hear your neighbors conversation and snoring.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business