“Second stay at Sleep Inn”
Review of Sleep Inn

Sleep Inn
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Amherst
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We returned to Sleep Inn on a shopping trip after staying here once before with a mediocre review. After reading many reviews of the surrounding Buffalo hotels we decided to return. This was a great decision! The staff were great and super efficient - I requested two extra blankets as we returned from dinner and the front desk staff got them immediately and was at our room door within one minute.
Breakfast was well done - sausage, scrambled eggs, fruit, pastries, bagels, toast, oatmeal, make-your-own waffles, juices, coffees, etc.
Room was small but just fine for two shoppers. Beds very comfortable. Rooms clean and well-kept.
Didn't have a chance to use the pool this time but saw many people enjoying themselves - area was clean and well-maintained.

We paid $80 for the room (incl. taxes) and was well worth it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Sleep Inn. We really appreciate when guests post a review it gives us great satisfaction to know that all our efforts are recognized and appreciated.

Reviewed June 17, 2012

I read all the reviews re: The Sleep Inn before booking. For the guests who were negative, I really don't know what you want in life!!!
We found the Sleep Inn to be exactly right. Lots of parking - we required disabled and it was right outside the door. The check in was easy and quick. We were given the choice of the first or fifth floor and we chose the fifth. Good choice! - it was quiet and had a nice view across the greenbelt. The room was not large but we had no intention of doing ballroom dancing in there - just a great place to get a good night's sleep. The room had eveything we needed - tea/coffee maker, ice right outside the door to keep our milk supply cool, iron and ironing board, hairdryer, great TV with lots of channels, comfortable bed and roomy desk with all the required plug ins. The bathroom was roomy enough and the shower great - lot of room for my 7 foot husband! Great water pressure and lots of hot water. Nice selection of toiletries and a basket downstairs in the lobby for forgotten toiletries.
I read the complaints about the hotel being tired and run down but we did not find that the case. It is fresh, clean and attractive.
We did not use the pool but will take our suits next time for sure.
Breakfast was great. A hugs selection of very tasty scrambled eggs and sausages. A selection of cereals and fruit (yes it was canned but did not taste sweet and canned - very tropical), yogurts, boiled eggs, cream cheese, peanut butter, jelly, a variety of breads, muffins and do nuts and make your own freshly cooked waffles and maple syrup. A nice selection of juices and tea and coffee as well. If you could not get yourself a great fresh breakfast here, you are not trying!
The young lady running the breakfast area was cheerful, worked hard and was very helpful with instructions on the waffle maker and finding supplies. She was enthusiastic about her job & kept the dining area spotless and welcoming.
The receptionist was equally friendy and cheerful. We were impressed that she even remembered our names the morning after checking in!
We asked her for a recommendation for eating out and she suggested The Grapevine which was just a few blocks away. It was a great recommendation as the food and ambiance were wonderful and the price was right.
The grounds of the hotel are very well kept and attractive.
Our only complaint (if you can call it a complaint) is that we found the hotel a little difficult to find. We saw the large Sleep Inn sign and turned into the lane. From there we were confused and ended up parking in a competitor's hotel parking lot. Realizing our mistake, we then returned to the lane and tried another motel - wrong again. It was then that we decided to venture down the lane (which was makred "no exit") and lo and behold, there was the Sleep Inn! A sign with an arrow on the laneway would be very helpful to direct guests. After eating at the Grapevine, we returned to the hotel from the opposite direction and the Sleep Inn sign was not visible at all as it was hidden from view by the trees. Had we not noted the huge flag pole in the restaurant (Bob Evans?) next door, we would have had great difficulty returning to the hotel in the dark.
All in all, it was a wonderful break for a night and we will most certainly return and will recommend the Sleep Inn to others.
We are ex hoteliers so we expect the best value for our money and a comfortable place to lay our heads. You made the grade! Thank you.

Thank you for a splended break.

Room Tip: I would think all the rooms are up to the same standard but would recommend the fifth floor just for...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JAL46
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Thank you so much for such a lengthy and thorough review of the hotel. I can't start to tell you how much we appreciate reviews such as yours. The staff and I work very hard to ensure that every guest has an exceptional stay every time. More and more individuals are turning to reviews such as yours as a measure of whether or not they will stay at a particular hotel. Again I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to review the hotel and we look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

My wife and I end up traveling to Buffalo every couple of weeks to take care of family matters. We like to stay at a hotel as a place of refuge from the family and have made the Sleep Inn, Amherst, New York our "Go-To" property. Every time we stay we are greeted by friendly staff willing to go the extra mile for service and guest comfort. All of the rooms are clean and well appointed. The rooms are showing a little wear over the last couple of years, however the management is in the process of updating the rooms. Even without the updates the rooms are comfortable and inviting. We have stayed here many times and plan on coming back again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

I can’t tell you how nice it was to see your glowing review about our hotel. The staff will certainly appreciate your comments about their friendly demeanor and I know they truly enjoy chatting with the guests and meeting new people. Feedback such as yours is what makes our job rewarding,

Timothy Stone

Reviewed June 2, 2012

i have stayed in this hotel for the past 5 years. it is the most comfortable and clean hotel. everyone is so friendly.

Room Tip: rooms in the first floor are near the pool.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank scrupper
Reviewed April 17, 2012

This was our 3rd stay at the Sleep Inn in Amherst and never disappointed. Since we discovered this place we wouldn't stay any other place. Good rates, clean, great beds - everything A+.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Cheryl D
TimothyStone, General Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2012

Thank you so much for the great review and the kind words. We strive to exceed our guests expectations every time. We can't wait to see you again on your fourth visit to us.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

For a couple who just needed something clean, comfortable, and convenient to downtown Buffalo and Tonawanda areas for a day, this Sleep Inn was perfect. Staff was very friendly. Room was clean and comfortable though quite compact as the standard Sleep Inn arrangement. In other words if you are looking to contain a family of four for a week, click something else; but if you want a clean, good value room for two people in a convenient location, this is a very good choice. Room even had a mini-fridge and microwave. Hotel is right off Rte 62 exit from I-290 and if you drive Rte 62 south toward Buffalo there are several chain restaurants (Applebees, Wild Wings, etc.). You can go down 62 to Route 5 to catch the metro rail into downtown Buffalo (with free parking at University metro station). No hesitation to stay here the next time we are passing through area.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank B_and_D_PA

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. We truly appreciate you noticing the amenities and service that we have to offer. I am excited that we exceeded your expectations and that you will be back. See you soon!

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Stay: April 13 - April 15, 2012
Purpose: Shopping
Booked: 1 King Room via Booking.com ($79/night)
Basics: Free parking, free breakfast, free wi-fi, pool
Checkout: 12:00 pm

Just got back from our weekend at Sleep Inn Amherst. We used Sleep Inn basically as our headquarters in between shopping excursions. We arrived Friday evening around 7 pm. The hotel is easy to get to as it's right off the exit from the highway/freeway/interstate. I was driving and got a tiny bit confused after turning into Innkeepers Lane because I couldn't actually see the hotel. You see the sign for Sleep Inn and the sign for Holiday Inn and when you first turn into the street, the hotel that you're looking at is Holiday Inn. Following the weird bendy/windy road to the very end and voila, Sleep Inn.

Parking anywhere is pretty close to the front door and even though a LOT of the parking lot was occupied by construction trucks, we were always able to find a spot at any given time. Upon arrival we were greeted by a giant wild turkey camped out on the roof of the main entrance, so of course we stopped and took some pictures as was the two girls from the front desk.

Checking in was easy. We gave our name and credit card and we were given our room key cards on the 5th floor. We asked for my friend to be placed next to us or at least on the same floor and this was not a problem. I got room 505 overlooking the parking lot and my friend was in room 507.

The rooms are pretty small. It's probably the smallest hotel room I've ever been in next to the cabin that we had on a cruise ship. But I have no complaints, it had everything I could possibly need for two nights away from home. As soon as you walk in, depending on the orientation of your room, you're met with a dresser/closet and desk against one side of the wall and then the bed on the opposite side. What makes up the short hallway wall when you enter is actually the shower on the other side of the wall. The sink and vanity are next to the bed separated by a wall and there you'll find your amenities as well as a single coffee maker and coffee packets underneath. Next to the sink and vanity is a pocket door and in the small room you'll find your toilet and the standup shower which was surprisingly roomy. Water pressure was nice and on a totally separate note, there are ice machines on each floor.

The room has a vent/heater where you can adjust your room temperature. There's a small little note on the corner of our mirror that kindly suggests that you sleep better when the room is slightly cooler, so feel free to go ahead and turn the temperature down :) I didn't mind the size of the room, there was enough space for my husband and I to move about and lug all our shopping bags in, but the one thing I did notice was that after we were in bed, the bed did not feel like a king size bed. We have one at home and I'm used to having a lot more space and room than what we had here. Neither here nor there really, of course I didn't mind, but I couldn't help but observe.

A note on the electronic-side of things. The flat screen was nice and we had it turned on before bed and while getting ready, no problems there. I had my BlackBerry Playbook and my BlackBerry and my husband had a BlackBerry as well and what I noticed was that you can't connect more than one device to wi-fi at a time. I had already connected my phone to wi-fi and couldn't for the life of me figure out why my PlayBook wouldn't connect until I remembered one review that said only one of their laptops worked and it occurred to me that maybe only one device would work. I turned off my phone's wi-fi and ta-da, my PlayBook connected to the hotel's wi-fi immediately. I don't know very much about wi-fi and internet access, I had assumed that when it's wi-fi, an unlimited number of devices could connect and I have no idea how it knew I was trying to do more than one device, but there you have it. Only one device per room! My friend next door also had her BlackBerry and she was able to connect to the wi-fi but she did mention several times that the internet seemed to be cutting in and out sometimes.

The bed felt fine (confession: I did get down at eye level to do a bed bug scan and everything seemed to be all clear). Sleep quality is kind of hard to review considering everyone has different preferences. I know that I always have a problem on the first night sleeping ANYWHERE that's not my own bed (and heck, sometimes I have problems sleeping on my own bed too), but in all honestly, I didn't take any notice of the bed, as in, nothing negative jumped out at me about it. There were a lot of pillows which I liked, though. The second night, I was out like a light and I can't really attribute that to the quality of the bed or because I was out and about for over 12 hours.

Breakfast for both mornings were awesome! I have zero complaints or negative thoughts about that at all. I was very grateful to be able to have breakfast there and it was very good. The first morning we came down earlier (around 8 am) and it was definitely less busier than when we went down at 9:30 the next morning.

In all honesty, I don't know how anyone can have anything to complain about with any breakfast that a hotel offers compimentary. I've stayed at rooms that are over $100 a night and they don't offer diddly squat. So a cold breakfast is already a bonus to me. Starting from the right as you enter the eating area the have two types of cereals, two types of milk, oatmeal packets, fruit salad (canned, but my friend said it was still delicious), a juice machine with four different types of juice (orange, apple, cranberry cocktail and lemonade), a Maxwell House coffee machine with regular and decaf coffee as well as a hot water dispenser for your tea or oatmeal and at the coffee station they had your coffee whiteners, tea fixings and also vanilla flavored coffee shots. Moving on to the food, there is yogurt and hardboiled eggs and even little packets of Frank's Red Hot (in case you put that **** on everything, teehee!), they had different types of bread (cinnamon raisin, bagels, white and whole wheat bread and english muffins), a four slot toaster (you have to really push down the lever on the left hand side of the toaster - bonus for me because no one would use it because they thought it was broken!) Toast/bread condiments include jam, butter, cream cheese, peanut butter from what I noticed. Next to that is your scrambled eggs and sausage which I enjoyed - and for the most part, I don't even like breakfast sausages. These ones were very good and my husband was very happy as they provide a very BIG bottle of Heinz ketchup. Next to THAT is the make your own waffle station. There are clear cups that you put under the batter dispenser and then you pour that into the waffle iron, flip it over and minutes later it'll beep incessantly at you to tell you it's time to enjoy some waffles! Seriously. Who could want anything more than that included with your room cost? Otherwise, kindly take your first world problems to a restaurant and let everyone else enjoy their breakfast? :)

I loved the hotel location-wise. Just the strip that it's on alone there are a bunch of stores and restaurants (I almost died happily when we were driving back from Burlington Coat Factory) and I noticed that there's a brand new Joe's Crab Shack on Maple). The hotel is 11 minutes from the Walden Galleria and the shops located around there (including another Burlington Coat Factory, WalMart, Home Depot, etc.) and it's 2.5 hours from Grove City in Pennsylvania (which we did trek to on the full Saturday that we had). After checking out, we headed for the Niagara Fashion Outlet right before we crossed over the border back home.

Border crossing tip: Always stay on the right-most side of the border line-up. The left lane only opens up into two or three lanes -otherwise you'll have to irritate the rest of us in the right lane when you try to get into our faster moving lanes - because the right lane opens up into 5-7 other lanes. We stayed to the right the whole time and were able to get into the very FIRST booth from the right. From when we first lined up to right when we crossed over after the border patrol kindly waved us through, it was about 15 minutes - which is a lot less than I can say for the people that we left behind in the left lane :)

Checkout was easy breezy. As we had booked our rooms online and provided our payment details, we received a $0 balance bill under our door and we just handed in our room keys on the way out.

Overall, it was a good trip and Sleep Inn was a great place to end up each evening and an awesome place to start out from each morning. Any future shopping trips across the border, I will definitely be willing to use this as our 'home away from home'.

(Photos coming)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank SillySkittlez

I would like to personally like to thank you for such a complete and thorough review of the hotel. Many travelers go to Trip Advisor before making any decisions on where to stay and your review will surely help them to pick this hotel. I am very please that we were able to make you shopping trip such a success and look forward to your next one.