“If you like having no sleep, this is the place for you”

Residence Inn Buffalo Amherst
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Amherst
Reviewed October 16, 2009

We arrived in Buffalo, and we were looking forward to a quiet evening in a nice suite equipped with a full kitchen. There was some noise from people walking on the floor above, but it was minimal for a time. Then the noise really began. It was as if elephants were pounding on the floor above. The floor lights and windows in our room started to shake. We called the main desk to complain, and were assured that the noise would stop. It did for about one hour. By that time we went to sleep. We awoke two hours later to tremendous thumps and crashes. It sounded like the people above were moving heavy furniture--at three o'clock in the morning. I called again to no avail. The elephants had won. We got up and packed. I gave the night clerk a piece of my mind. At least, she did the right thing. Our stay was free. But I would have preferred the sleep. We had a nine-hour drive ahead of us.

It turned out that the culprits were two teenage girls. Teenagers are not known for their empathy, but the management of this motel did nothing to deal with the situation, and they are just as guilty.

I couldn't get away from this motel fast enough.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank OhioTravelingman
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Buffalo Amherst

Reviewed October 2, 2009

Like everyone, I must agree this is a nice hotel. It's also one of the only hotels I've found in upstate NY that is not stuck next to the highway. One issue I have with the rooms is that the builders apparently chose not to use particle board between the floors. Instead I'm guessing they used some sort of tin or similar product. There is a very unique metallic sound that resonates into your room from above. In building 13, anytime the person above me would step the sound carried through to our room. My companion, who is a heavy sleeper, even woke up because of the ceiling noise. Having said that, I would stay here again, just never again on the bottom floor. The location to restaurants and as a general launching point to all things in the area is just impossible to pass up.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 12, 2009

I was pleasantly surprised with the rooms and facility layout. This is an excellent choice for parents visiting their kids at UB. The stadium is approximately a 15 minute walking distance. Bring your student's favorite meal. The rooms have full kitchens. Also, bring the pet along! The hotel is pet friendly. :o)

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed May 31, 2009

The suite was good value. There was plenty of room and privacy. We were in the right place as we had business to attend to nearby and we were able to relax and do some shopping in our spare time. Great breakfast.

Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 16, 2009

Having never been to this location, we were somewhat apprehensive about the location. HOWEVER, it is convenient to just about everything we needed! Five minutes from the airport, and 15 minutes from downtown Buffalo. Close to colleges and hospitals with plenty of good shopping nearby.

The hotel is an older Residence Inn, but don't be discouraged. This place had more employees that I've EVER seen in a hotel -- they were everywhere, and very helpful and friendly. That more than made up for the "older" hotel. The room was spotless and our TV was a new large flatscreen with lots of channels. Breakfast was excellent and offered healthy options, and was nicely presented.

The manager's office is just off the lobby and her door was open most of the time -- a nice change from places where the management is no where to be seen. We will definately be back!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2009

Very Nice Suite. We stayed in the two doubles studio suite and it was great. Big room, fireplace, kitchen. Very clean, quiet. Great Stay!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed January 27, 2009

Used this hotel as a jumping off point for visiting UB with my daughter. Chose it because of the size of the room for the money - The suite that I booked was like 2 rooms, but the cost was much lower than two rooms at a comparable property. The kitchen was remarkably clean. My daughter thought that the room setup was amazing with the loft bedroom over a second bedroom, and even a fireplace. she was ready to move in.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)