“Fully acceptable budget accommodation” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red Roof PLUS+ University at Buffalo Amherst

Red Roof PLUS+ University at Buffalo Amherst
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Amherst
NYC
“Fully acceptable budget accommodation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

The desk staff are a little cold (maybe burned out from so much customer flow - it's a big place), but the accommodations are fine: clean, basic rooms and a pretty decent value for the money, which is minimal. Less than 15 minutes from the airport, two minutes from the UB Amherst campus. It's kind of a strip-mally area without much to recommend it, so if you want more charm, drive into the nearby village of Williamsville. I've stayed at the Red Roof Inn UB Amherst twice now and no problems. No coffeemaker in room - instant coffee maker in registration area. Be sure to request that the optional charge for the safe is taken off your bill (assuming you don't use it).

Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

My husband and I went to Buffalo July 8-11. The check in clerk was super friendly and check in took seconds. We went to our room on the second floor and thought it was nice, until we looked closer. The bedspread seemed really lumpy, so I pulled it back to reveal dirty, wrinkled sheets that looked very used. I mean it was so bad that there were actually raised lumps and the sheets were not even made. It really looked like the bedspread was just thrown on dirty sheets. The other problem was that there were peanuts and a candy wrapper at the edge of the bed, which were also revealed when the bedspread was pulled back. At this point I am getting concerned and there is no way I am sleeping on those sheets! I called the front desk and the friendly clerk told me there were no other rooms, so I asked for her to send someone up to fix it. She said she was the only one there and came up within 15 minutes. She quickly changed the sheets with fresh sheets and vacuumed the carpet. She was super nice and said that this was very unusual.
The room was a decent size and had a desk, that we turned into a dinning table. The shower was hot and strong and the room was quiet and met our expectations. We did not have maid service while we were there because since we were still on west coast time, meaning we were always in bed when they knocked.
The location was great and my husband walked over to Santora's, which he recommends. I did not feel well and was in bed a lot of the time and had a hard time getting comfortable due to the springs digging into my back.
The fridge and microwave saved us money on food and overall, despite the shortfalls I would stay here again. The price was right and I found it better and more modern than motel 6. If you are on a budget, this is a good value. I do think the dirty sheets were a fluke.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Port Arthur, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2010

Our room was very clean, very quiet, and updated. Would highly recommend this hotel - great deal. While you are in Buffalo go to Friendlys for breakfast - cheap and good food, ask at desk for directions about 1 mile from hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2010

This was the second time I had stayed at this hotel. The last time was over two years ago, so I was nervous that it might not be the same (Red Roof Inns don't have the best reputation, despite the fact that the chain has been revamped in the past few years) but I had nothing to worry about. The hotel clean and quiet and in a fairly good location if you are in town for a shopping trip (which we were) or if you have any business to do at the University of Buffalo. The service was great, particularly from Erin, who was friendly and helpful. The room was immaculate and we loved the conveniences of the fridge and microwave for the doggie bags we had after every meal (it's easy to forget how huge the portions are in the USA!) The beds were fairly comfy and the staff provided us with extra pillows upon request. There was also free Wi-Fi, which was nice, although it was fairly slow (but I'm not complaining since I didn't have to pay for it).....You can't beat $65/night. The only downside is that it is a fair drive downtown, but we found it was actually quite central overall to the places we needed to visit. Truckers use this hotel, so you might hear the sound of the truck starting and driving off at 5-6 am, but other than that it was very quiet despite the proximity to busy roads. I'd definitely stay here again the next time I visit the Buffalo area.

If you ever need a cab, ask the front desk to call Tom to pick you up. He's nice, polite and will have some stories to tell! If you get him, make sure to mention the Canadian girls who drove to Betty's Left Bank!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2010

My wife and I stayed at this Red Roof Inn on May 21-23 during an across the border shopping trip from Canada. This hotel is fairly average but clean and comfortable. It is also located near an outlet mall, other shops and different restaurants (all within 20 minutes by car). There's a pizzeria and a bar across the street. Overall, it's fine for a short stay and reasonably priced.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Waterloo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2010

My wife and I have been staying here for over 20 years. This is a nice inn. The rooms are always clean , and I find the front desk staff to be very nice and knowledgeable. I was over there for my birthday a few years ago and the front desk attendant gave me a gift certificate to a very nice local restaraunt. She had just gotten some gift certificates in, and gave me one. Thats what I call customer service. And this past weekend, we had a very nice experience again with a front desk attendant that cares about the people that are staying there. Its close to the university, not even a 15 minute drive from 3 major malls and close to the new Santoras pub and pizzeria which is just across the street. There is much to say about this inn and the staff. Whether they are working front desk or cleaning the rooms, they all speak to you and are very friendly.
Try this out and you will see what I mean.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WaterlooRadioron
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2010

I attended the NELGBT Conference at University of Buffalo this past weekend and I was very pleased w/ my stay at the Red Roof Inn. A young lady checked me in at 11pm and gave me advice w/ my allergies. She even knew where to point me when i asked for about getting a zyrtec for my congestion. Erin offered to hold my bags when i needed an extra hour after check-out time. I asked Shaw plenty of questions about the area and had some random requests (table salt for my sore throat) that didn't make him bat an eye. My room was tidy and didn't smell like smoke (you know how some non-smoking rooms still reek? Well, mine didn't!). overall the staff was friendly and genuinely interested in a client's well being. My room was tidy, nicely decorated/good ambiance, and close to the airport as well as my conference (and sight seeing at Niagara Falls! I didn't get to go due to my flight). Gotta love that push-button cappuccino/cocoa/hot water machine in the lobby, too! Can't beat a friendly staff, clean room, and close-to-what-you-need all in one.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business