“A nice alternative to the high price Buffalo hotels”

Red Roof PLUS+ University at Buffalo Amherst
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Amherst
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We had to get a hotel for a week last minute notice. Didn't feel like shelling out $170/night at a Marriot, so we went with this Red Roof. The prices were reasonable, the place was relatively quiet, which was a nice surprise to what we might have expected. The front desk was manned by nice and accommodating people, wish I could remember the names. The room was fine, nothing wrong there. You have to read their room cleaning policy if you stay more than one night because they clean to your specifics, such as if you are OK with reusing the towels, they will leave them... that kind of thing, but will do the whole room if requested.

Room Tip: get the king business room...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
RRI104, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ University at Buffalo Amherst, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to write a review about our property. We appreciate that you mentioned our friendly staff, our reasonable prices, and the fact that our location is quiet. We look forward to having you stay with us again next time you are in our area.

Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Took a trip from Canada with my boyfriend to do some shopping and to get away. We stayed for 3 nights. We arrived at around 9pm and it was raining heavily. Checked in without a problem however parking seemed to be an issue because the hotel was fully booked (on a Thursday night).

The wifi was terrible as we got in and I needed it to apply for university classes on Friday morning (next day). So we ran around outside figurin maybe we were far from the signal, we did not find better reception and decided to go to the Starbucks parking lot at 6am so I could use their wifi. Apparently from what I understand the wifi is a satellite signal an therefore with cloud coverage or storms the signal is crap. The next day the wifi was ok. So as long as there is no storm you'll be fine.

Good location next to a lot of stores and restaurants. And close to the highway. The cleaning service comes super early at around 9am. (maybe that was because they were fully booked or we may have been one of the first few rooms) but that was a bit too early for us on mini vacation.
There is cable tv and our room was fairly clean but again like some other reviews mentioned, there's no bathroom counter. We had a fridge in our room which was convenient to keep drinks/food.

Good experience overall.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed here on July 4th with family of 3. Found a good deal considering it was a holiday weekend. Stayed in a King ADA room, which I'm glad we did because a regular room might've been a tight squeeze. Room wasn't as clean as it could've been & a bit run-down. No counter space in the room or bathroom, no soap (just 2 small packages of shampoo), & shower was loud & awkward to use. There was free wi-fi, which worked ok for what we needed. Hopefully they've changed their policy, but there is a somewhat hidden charge for using the in-room safe, and you have to tell them if you DIDN'T use it at check out to get it taken off your bill...fortunately I read the fine print & the sign on the actual safe! Location was great, however especially if you're visiting UB. It's right across from the Flint (South) entrance to campus, & right off Millersport Highway. We went to watch fireworks at UB, so it was quite convenient for us. There are plenty of good eats & shopping areas within a few miles drive as well. Not sure if we would stay here again, but it was good enough for one night.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
RRI104, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ University at Buffalo Amherst, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay at our inn and taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I appreciate that you mention our great location next to the university and local shopping and restaurants. I do apologize that the condition of the room did not live up to our standards. We appreciate your comments and will use them to correct the issues you mentioned. I do want to let you know that we will be starting an extensive renovation in the coming months. We are really excited about the renovations and we hope that you come back to see the improvements yourself. Our rooms when complete will have new furniture, extra outlets, new beds, all new flooring instead of the carpet, and flat screen televisions. Once again thank you for your review and we hope to see you again next time you are in the area.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

Hello All,

This was an outstanding place to stay. VERY CLEAN and very comfortable beds, warm welcome at check-in and free wifi. We , my son and I were here for 2 nights and i would recommend the inn to all of my family and friends. Excellent location with central access to all shopping , food and Intestate highway. I was truely surprised as we usually stay at more expensive rooms but if this is the standard well they just got a regular customer. Happy Travels

Room Tip: I stayed on the first floor (Ground level) for easy access to the car as it was raining when we chec...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at our inn and taking the time to write a review about your stay. We appreciate that you mention our clean rooms, comfortable beds, and the warm reception you recieved at check-in from our staff. I will make sure to share your review with my staff. Once again thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you next time your in the area.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

This place was fairly clean, quiet, and comfortable. Had to ask for some directions, and the staff was very helpful with this. I-290 is easy to get to/from, and the University of Buffalo campus is nearby. There is a nice bar/restaurant called Santora's across the street, where we ate dinner 2 nights in a row. Good food and drinks there, with lots of tv's! But, if thats not for you, there were plenty of other places to eat and shop a couple miles further down the road.
Overall, its a no frills hotel, within about a 40 minute drive NW to Niagara Falls, and considerably cheaper than any Niagara Falls hotel. Its worth the drive to save some bucks.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Stayed at the red roof inn in Amherst over the Labor Day weekend. Location is right off of the 263 highway just outside the University of Buffalo.

As far as facilities go, you get what you pay for.

I would like to point out that the Manager was good enough not to double charge me for moving in at 1am. I greatly appreciate his generosity.

All in all a pretty decent/safe place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Quite disappointing, we had stayed here a few years back and I am not sure that they have changed the mattresses or bedding since we have been there. The mattresses are hard as a rock and squeak every time you move. The bedspread was all stained; yuk, and had a cigarette hole in it, none smoking room, hmmm! The bath towels are an excellent way to exfoliate if that is what you want to do after your shower. Beware if you wash your hair; there are no blow dryers, wish I had known, so bring your own. There are also no coffee makers. On a good note there were no bedbugs. There is also a lack of parking so don’t count on being able to park anywhere close to your room if you are not back early evening.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
RRI104, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ University at Buffalo Amherst, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2012

LdHammer- Thank you very much for choosing our hotel and taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I appreciate the fact that you are a returning guest. I am however very sorry for the issues you had during your stay. Although our rooms do not have hair dryers in them they are available at the desk. I will make sure my staff does a better job of communicating that in the future. Also, I want to apologize that the beds in your room were not comfortable. I know if does not help your last stay but I do want to let you know that we will be going through an extensive renovation this year and a new bedding package is going to be part of that process. So once again I apologize your stay did not live up to your previous experience with us but I assure you that we will work to correct these issues. We hope that you will come to stay with us again when you are in the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Buffalo - Amherst
CenterWay Hotel
CenterWay Hotel
#1 of 13 in Tonawanda
Extended Stay America - Buffalo - Amherst

Been to Red Roof PLUS+ University at Buffalo Amherst? Share your experiences!