“Best of the bunch”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Amherst
Burlington, VT
“Best of the bunch”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

There are a number of hotels in this (rather sad) neighborhood, some obviously in better condition than others. I feel lucky I grabbed this one. The rooms are sufficiently upgraded that I felt comfortable, for example. And I'm not someone who usually gives a priority to such things, but at least for me, I felt that the (check-in and bar) staff genuinely cared about ensuring I have a pleasant stay--and that's a welcome change from the usual anonymous feeling I get when I travel. Example: I arrived, they casually asked about my flight, and I told them about a delay caused by missing paperwork. They gave me a card for a free drink at the bar! Exhausted, when I got up to my room, the toilet was bubbling and running noisily--when I return back to the front desk, they were incredibly apologetic and immediately put me in a nice(r) room. They also then offered me another cookie, something I declined for the sake of my figure.

In short: small touches make a difference, and on this Friday night I felt very lucky that they have good people working here.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Ohio, United States
Reviewed April 24, 2014

nice facility, pool, rooms small bathrooms, noise from overhead rooms is loud restaurant has tasty food, rooms were small-no closets-just an armoire in the room that also contained the iron, ironing board, extra pillows, etc so not a lot of room for actual clothing. Dresser drawers were full of extra pillows so had to move those to the corner of the room to use the drawers

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

TMolendaInnKeeper, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Buffalo - Amherst, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Hello Malynda,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I was pleased to read that you thought our facilities were nice. I see you had some trouble with your room size, and space for storage. We do have several room types available to choose from, may I suggest a King Executive on your next visit, this room type offers more space in both the bedroom area and the bathroom. In addition there is also more furnishings for item storage.

I hope this response has helped you for your return visit accommodations.

Have a Great Day.

Markham, Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2014

The accommodations were exactly as described on their web site. We had booked through Hotwire( who did not seem to realize that 2 adults and 2 children needed 2 double beds) and the booking was changed to accommodate us, from a King room to 2 queen beds. No problem with this at all, they were more than accommodating. The staff was very friendly. Rooms were clean and spacious. I would not hesitate to stay there again.
The hotel is near lots of shopping, plenty of restaurants, and the University.

NY, United States
Reviewed April 23, 2014

My daughter and I stayed at this DoubleTree when we visit Buffalo University. Upon arrival, we were offered warm chocolate cookies. The location of this hotel is just by the North Campus and it is very convenient. We love the color scheme and the décor of the hotel lobby and the room. Parking and wifi were complimentary which is a big plus. Hotel staff are courteous and friendly. The room is clean, bed is very comfortable. The hotel also offers a complimentary shuttle in a 5 mile radius. That includes going to the airport. Next time I will not need to rent a car when I visit my daughter. :) Another thoughtful thing was the double door side entry. During inclement weather, guests will be able to come into the building first and then swipe their room key to get into the hotel. My only suggestion is that, if the sensor for the first door can be adjusted so that it will close after the guests come in, it will protect the guest from the cold, the wind and the rain or snow while getting their room key to enter the hotel. We enjoyed our stay at this hotel and will definitely recommend it to others.

Brooklyn, United States
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I found the front desk personnel very knowledgeable and helpful. We had traveled from NYC and were visiting SUNY Buffalo which is located across from the hotel. They offered suggested places to visit and eat which was extremely helpful given our lack of knowledge of the area. My daughter was a little under the weather and ordered room service while we at the school and found the food much to her satisfaction. The room was extremely clean and staff very friendly.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 22, 2014

The main reason I stay at the Doubletree is for the breakfast. Having spent many nights at Hampton Inns, I grew tired of eating powdered/synthetic eggs and weak coffee for breakfast. The cafe at the Doubletree has Starbucks coffee and real, healthy food options (great Oatmeal, Egg-white omelets made-to-order, great fruit selection.) In addition, the staff (Krystal, Holli, and Carrie) are very friendly and helpful. They often have to go out of their way to prepare my "to-go" order and do so with a great attitude.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
TMolendaInnKeeper, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Buffalo - Amherst, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Hello Glen S,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I appreciated reading all of the nice comments you shared about our Café and for personally mentioning our "Morning Team" in your review. We do our very best daily to provide these levels of service, thank you for noticing.

Safe Travels,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2014

This is a great hotel for the service and value. I used HHonors points for this stay. The ladies at the front desk were very helpful and friendly. Its located near the Blvd. Mall and all the good restaurants. I will be staying here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Hello Christopher G,

Thank you for being a Hilton HHonor Member and glad you had the opportunity to stay with us on points. We appreciate you pointing out our friendly team members and for sharing your experiences with Trip Advisor and us.

We look forward to your return visit.