“The Tale of the Tie” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Amherst
Franklin, Massachusetts
“The Tale of the Tie”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Who would have thought that the green-and-blue striped Cintas tie the Doubletree staffmembers wear would have worked with my windowpane Vineyard Vines shirt that I brought for the UB medical school graduation? Not I. But thanks to the most gracious and accommodating folks behind the desk, disaster turned to triumph: When we arrived on the Thursday night before the event, I unpacked my clothes--and discovered that I'd left the ties my wife had bought expressly to match my new shirt were back home, nestled in the carry-on bag I'd decided not to use in favor of consolidating everything in our hanging bag. Who wouldn't have been miffed? Miffed I was. But the people behind the desk, Bryanne in particular, turned a disgruntled traveler into a happy camper with the offer of a crisp new Doubletree tie, fresh in its cellophane sleeve. I wore it to the graduation. I wore it to the reception that night. Compliments abounded. And thanks to Doubletree generosity, I may wear it again: When I tried to return it, I was urged to keep it. It's my favorite souvenir of a delightful weekend (along with the snapshot of Nick and me in our matching ties), the overall hotel experience included. Thank you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Always stay at Doubletrees whenever i can across the USA. This one had a smaller lobby with a bar that was open and and serving a few happy people at 2am on a Sunday morning?!That was a first! Too tired to participate we head straight to the room which was smaller than usual but super nice. It overlooked the pool area which was a bummer, but did not mind since the bed was luxuriously comfortable. Will stay here again next time in Buffalo!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Maple, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

This hotel had all the basic amenities that you would need in a hotel. Beds were comfortable and the room had a decent T.V. with a good channel lineup. The room although appeared clean it definitely needed an update as it was well used. The window in the room had moisture/condensation fog between the panes, so you couldn't see out. Shower/sink area was visibly worn with mold/mildew stains and caulking was peeling. The rooms had rather low ceilings which made the space feel smaller than it actually was.

The rest of the property also appeared very dated, with the exception of the check-in reception area. They had a quaint bar/restaurant and a Starbucks.

There is a pool but it was ice cold. Hot tub was undergoing repairs.

Noise from the hallways and adjoining rooms is easily heard. You can hear people talking in the hallways as well as doors slamming closed.

I have stayed at much better hotels for a lot less money in the Buffalo/Niagara area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Franklin, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

Our hotel stay was wonderful. Great staff - Thank You Makayla and Bryanne - and so convenient. Great food in the restaurant and comfortable clean rooms. We had a bunch of folks with us and everyone was pleased. The shuttle even took us to our favorite Buffalo restaurant although there was good food choices within walking distance.....wings anyone (-: We will be back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

The hotel was very nice. Great bed. The service was excellent. The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. Nearby Duff's serves the best wings ever. (Note: they're not called Buffalo wings in Buffalo.) Santoro's was excellent, as well.

• Stayed May 2013
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

True to the title .. Home away from home .. Right from the time Mary Beth checks you into a very comfortable room .. Brandi and Holly keep the bar lively and spot on service ., Tom has an excellent crew and definitely stay again everytime I am back in the buffalo area ..

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TMolendaInnKeeper, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Buffalo - Amherst, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Hello Thydiamond,

Very nice review title, thank you. We are happy you were pleased with your stay and I always feel a sense of pride when I see team members being mentioned by name. This level of engagement tells me we are reaching the goals we set for our guests service levels.

Thank you for sharing.

Tom Molenda
Middletown, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I had stayed at this property previously under another name, can't recall it, as it was a boutique hotel that seemed to be OK via online pictures. My experience was horrible as the room was small, very dirty(hair balls on floor, sills, etc), and the bathroom was literally open to the room. Very odd.
Upon arrival under the new Double Tree name, I hoped they would have made changes to clean up the property. I was extremely disappointed. They couldn't make the rooms larger, however they could implement a housekeeping strategy to clean the rooms. They did not. Please see the pics- filthy glasses that were never cleaned, hair on the bathroom floor, room floor, etc, bits and pieces of trash on the floor in the room(don't they have a vacuum?), dirty coffee maker and cups, trash under the bed, toothpick and wrappers on floor upon arrival.
My pet peeves is not having a clean hotel, old or new, updated or not, it must be clean. This property fails all cleaning standards. Will never stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Walter B,

I would like to apologize up front for what sounds like a horrific stay. I have had my executive housekeeping team looking into what could have happened here. Kindly telephone me at your earliest opportunity so I can discuss with you in greater detail. Our initital investigations are pointing to an "out of order" room which was accidently put back into circulation and should not have been, but I will need to confirm some information with you.

Again Walter, I apologize for the issues mentioned and i look forward to hearing from you soon.

Tom Molenda