“Not like every other Doubletree I've ever stayed in...”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Buffalo - Amherst
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Amherst
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I'm a diamond preferred member of the HHonors chain, and lemme tell ya- I've stayed in my fair share of Doubletrees. But not like this one. Doubletree is my favorite out of all the Hilton brands. It was...not like any other Doubletree I've ever been in. The rooms were ok, but there was no carpet. Which was...strange. Especially since it wasn't really seasonably warm. Also, the bathroom was SMALL. The counter space was non-existent, and the shower was kind of strange. It was a 3/4 bath, so no tub, and the shower was longer than the shower curtain so there was a partial glass wall at the far end. This was a business trip, so other than it being in my company's price range, I wasn't worried about the price overly much. However, the bed was super comfy. The restaurant was smaller than other doubletree restaurants, but the servers were friendly and helpful. If you're looking for a hotel with larger bathrooms or counterspace (ladies, I'm looking at you, here) this place isn't for you. Otherwise, it's not bad.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank nprjunky
TMolendaInnKeeper, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Buffalo - Amherst, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Hi nprjunky,

Let me begin by thanking you for being a Hilton Honors Diamond Member, we value your status and appreciate your business. Yes, I will agree that our DoubleTree by Hilton is slightly different, our hardwood floors and tiles are different than the traditional carpet, however we and our guests find the rooms to have a cleaner and fresher feel to them as compared to carpeting. As far as the room sizes are concerened may I suggest requesting an executive room for your next booking as these room types are in fact larger than a standard room. I am guessing that you were not upgraded to an executive room or even a suite as we were most likely sold out, so I apologize for this, as we always try and upgrade all of our Diamond Members when our available inventory allows us.

Thank you for your comments and we are pleased you enjoyed our beds, and our helpful service.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Buffalo - Amherst

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel is a wonderful place and well laid out. The staff shows what customer service is all about and the food was excellent at any hour of the day. For the pricepoint, I would choose to stay here versus other hotels in the area at similar amounts.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
TMolendaInnKeeper, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Buffalo - Amherst, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Hello Hilton Traveler,

Thank you for the nice review. We pride ourselves on the areas in which you pointed out with service and amenities. We are glad you chose our hotel and look forward to seeing you again.

Safe Travels,

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Gret staff and clean, modern hotel. Restaurant/bar staff is friendly and food is pretty decent. Not much around but there is two nice bars down in a shopping center on the corner and Univ of Buffalo is across the street. Rooms are comfy.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Hi LaurLaw,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We are glad you pointed out our friendly team and the level of cleanliness you experienced. Please remember on your next visit, we shuttle our guests anywhere within a 5 mile radius of the building, so we can easily take you the the Maple Road Entertainment Corridor which is 1 mile from the hotel. There is a large mall, dozens of restaurants, movie theater, and other activities right around the block.

Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Hotels in Niagara falls during peak season are crazily priced and thus I didnt mind staying a few miles away for the difference was huge. Being a Hilton aficinado, i opted for this Double Tree for it was the closest and cheapest to Niagara Falls and who doesnt loves the signature Double Tree cookie.
So the hotel is a good 20-25 minute drive to Niagara falls and is very close to SUNY so for students or visiting professors, this is a good option. There are several hotels in this area, however there isnt any restaurant closeby so you have to drive a bit.
being a status holder with Hilton, i got upgraded to a 2 room suite which was good as the living room with the kitchenette was great. the bathroom was a great size too.
A big dampener was the breakfast, being a privileged member and being entitled to free bfast, unlike most double tree's, this one only provided me an option of a juice bottle and a danish pastry from the hotel's coffee shop which as a big disappointment.

Room Tip: Request for one of the few suites this property has, you'll like it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Hello thewanderer,

Thank you for the nice review. Yes, we are close to the falls and yes, we see a large number of Niagara Falls visitors staying in our area. Thank you for being a HHonors member, we appreciate your loyality, and the upgrades are always our pleasure. I am somewhat perplexed about your breakfast situation, as our complimentary Diamond HHonor Member Breakfast includes a large variety of items and choices for you. Please contact me directly so I may further understand what happenened during breakfast on this visit. My information is listed below.

716.689.0015

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Not being familiar with hotels in or near Buffalo airport we spent lots of time searching the Internet and reading reviews. We have been happy with Double Tree and this location is no exception.
The location is very easy to get to, not far from Buffalo downtown (or the Peace Bridge)
The hotel has a very nice lobby with an open area, small bar area with flat screen tvs and a small dinning room area.
The rooms are not huge, but they are adequate with 2 double beds, desk and chair and HDTV.
The washroom is clean, but again not huge. Free WIFI.
The most impressive part is how friendly and accommodating all the staff are, the ladies at the front desk, the bartender and even the gentlemen that appeared to be doing some maintenance in the hallway. In today's society with customer service this is truly noteworthy.
The parking at the rear of the hotel is where the vehicle is left when you fly out, so there are no issues about having to drop it off at another location. A shuttle service is available for rides to and from the airport.
If you need a convenient location to stay near Buffalo airport that has included parking you should give this location a serious look.
Even our 2 teenage kids have complemented the location.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

The room was lovely, had everything I needed. Loved the music station selections on the TV - smooth jazz at night, classical in the morning with my in-room tea! The staff was outstanding....from the room maids, the cleaning personnel in the hallway, the front desk, every person had a smile and a hello or good morning! I would DEFINITELY stay here again!! Excellent!!

Room Tip: I saw several of the rooms of the people with whom I was traveling - all were fine. Everyone slept...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Rated as 3 1/2 star - no way. Room tiny - no closet, can't provide fridge (probably because not enough room). Beer caps and debris in the electric heater - room 223.. Curtains look like original with hotel. Not well maintained. We paid for 2 nights through t/p company. Going to cut our losses after tonight and go somewhere else. Lesson learned.

Hello Trevor C951,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Let me first apologize for what sounds like a not so pleasant stay. I have deployed our maintenance team to investigate the issues you noted about your guest room. I would also like the opportunity to speak with you further about this stay. Additionally, we do have multiple type guestrooms in the hotel, some room types offer larger spaces for those requiring a bit more room, and also rooms which feature refrigerators and microwaves. Our hotel does have 187 rooms to offer a wide variety of options which we try and satisfy the many varied needs of our many guests.

Please telephone me at the number below so I can learn more about your stay.

Thank you again for your time.

Sincerely.