“An excellent place to stay”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Buffalo - Amherst
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Amherst
Cobourg, Canada
“An excellent place to stay”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed here twice recently before flying out from, and returning to, Buffalo airport. The hotel offers a very good park and fly rate. This was a nice hotel when it was part of the Hotel Indigo chain; it is even better now. The staff are terrrifc; nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are clean and very well appointed with some nice touches such as Earl Grey tea! There is a complimentary shuttle to and from the airport staffed by very helpful drivers. The small restaurant serves an excellent breakfast and has a good menu for evening meals. There is also complimentary coffee available early in the morning which is great for 5:00 am departures! Not being right at the airport means that it is very quiet. We will definitely continue using this hotel whenever we fly from Buffalo.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Hamilton, Ontario
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We just returned from an overnight stay. We came across the border to do some shopping and have a night away from home.
I read reviews ahead of time. In this case I noted that most reviews mention much about the front desk, bistro staff (who were very nice) and less about the actual rooms.
The hotel does not have much within walking distance but a very short drive to shopping (large mall with a Macys, JCP and Sears, Kohls, Target, TRus.....) and all types of restaurants.
The hotel parking lot is large and well lit.
The first impression was very good. The hotel looks freshly decorated, the hallways were nicely decorated with plush carpeting and nice colours.
We were given cookies which we devoured right away!
We had room 317. We would definably ask for a room away from the elevator next time. We were there on a busy Friday night and could hear voices loud and clear as people were coming on and off the elevator. In the morning (we really wanted to sleep in a little...), starting around 8 am, the housekeeping staff seemed to gather outside in the area right in front of our door and the voices carried so much we could hear every word. The ice machine was right there as well and was pretty noisy. We regretted not asking for change of room location right away. That being said, the room really was nice.
As others have said, we liked the tile entry and wood floorcoverings in the room.
The sofa in the room looked brand new..
Most important (to me anyway)..... I am fussy about bedding and found the king bed comfortable with nice quality bedding. There was a lightweight duvet on the bed that was triple sheeted (nice!). Lots of comfy pillows.
The room was on the expressway side but we heard no road noise at all. The window had a blackout curtain under the decorative one which we appreciated.
The bathroom was nice, granite countertop, great shower. I prefer a separate shower to a tub/shower combination so I was happy. Great water pressure. Nice fluffy towels. I was impressed with the Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries (shampoo, soap, conditioner, lotion), no need to bring your own!!!
At the risk of sounding too picky, I did see some evidence of what a previous poster listed as lack of "crispness". The window between the bathroom area and bed area had a lot of what looked like dirt on the top of the window frame. At closer look, it seemed to be dried wallpaper paste drippings (quite visible from the bed). It probably wouldn't take much to clean that up. The bathroom door was splintered on the bottom where there was a good size patch of paint missing (it is what you look at while sitting on the toilet....). These are minor things but for a newly renovated hotel, these should have not been overlooked in the final inspection.
The pool area looked nice, very bright, lots of chairs and towels available.
The wifi in the room worked well.
We did not watch very much but the TV was nice size and quality, lots of channels and a sharp picture. A channel guide is provided which is a small thing but nice.
We would not hesitate to stay again for a quick getaway (just would ask for a different room location.....).

Hope this helps.

Room Tip: The rooms are nice, all newly renovated with comfortable beds. Choose a room away from the elevator...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This hotel is our family's favourite place to stay. People are super friendly. Rooms have tile and laminate floors which make them feel super clean. Glass glasses, instead of plastic.
Pool and hot tub are some of the nicest we've been to. The general atmosphere is comfortable and reminds one of being in a Caribbean resort without spending the money to go that far.

Room Tip: We were close to the pool for the kids, but it was still incredibly quiet. Any rooms should be fine.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The front desk staff where very kind and helpful, The rooms where very clean, Nice pool and Gym. Shuttle service drivers did an excellent job recommending dinning locations, We have stayed at this location many times and never have had a complaint,

Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay. The room was clean and I loved the hardwood floors. I also loved that the entire facility was non-smoking. I had breakfast every morning there – GREAT service – wonderful food. Everyone was so friendly too. Especially Krystal in the restaurant area. She always had a smile that made my morning a little brighter. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
TMolendaInnKeeper, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Buffalo - Amherst, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Hello L C,

Thank you for your nice review and the 5 Star Rating! We appreciate that. I was glad to read you were pleased with both the cleanliness and service here at our hotel. We strive daily for the goal of 100% guest satisfaction. I will also share this with Krystal, as she is in fact a star on our team.

Thank you again for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review.

Safe Travels,

A Proud Member of the DoubleTree by Hilton CARE Community
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is one of the NICEST hotels I have ever stayed at. The place was very clean and well maintained. The rooms were very spacious and the staff was always smiling and very helpful..Krystal in the ding room was excellent. Always has a smile and provided excellent service. My cup of tea was always hot and waiting for me. Would not hesitate to stay here again.

Hi Steve S,

I must admit I like opening emails with reviews titled "Great Hotel". Thank you for sharing with the millions of people who use this as a travel tool. I was pleased to hear you thought of us as the nicest hotel you ever stayed in, and we appreciate the service component you complimented.

Thanks again Steve. We look forward to hosting you in the future.

A Proud Member of the DoubleTree CARE Community
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I arrived at the hotel around midnight. I requested a refrigerator and was informed there were none available. The desk clerk told me they could store my food, a gentleman named Robert was closing the kitchen for the night and heard the conversation, he called me over labeled my food and stored it. Thanks Robert.... and the clerk (sorry I don't remember her name).

Hi Wizz331,

It is truly a pleasure knowing our team is responding at service levels like you stated in your review. I will be sure to compliment Rob on his ability to anticipate the needs of our guests and act on them. Thank you for sharing and we hope to see you soon.

Enjoy the Day.