“Perfect for Business Travel”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Buffalo - Amherst
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Amherst
Washington, Michigan
“Perfect for Business Travel”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in January 2013 and was not disappointed. Customer service was excellent, and my room was well-appointed, comfortable, and certainly met my expectations for the price range. A full-service business center, combined with a pool, hot tub, and well-equipped gym make this a perfect choice for a business trip. The cafe serves quality food, however, there's a bit of a trap set for breakfast. Advertising indicates 'free continental breakfast' for Hilton Honors members. Unfortunately, it doesn't specify that you have to be at a high tier level for them to honor it. I did not find out until after I placed my breakfast order. All in all, I had a great experience, and would recommend this hotel, even though there are many options in the area.

1 Thank Jesnig
TMolendaInnKeeper, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Buffalo - Amherst, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Hi Jesnig,

Thank you for posting your review. I was glad to read that you were not only satisfied with our hotel property and guest service, I was happy you had mentioned many of our offered amenities. I do apologize for the Hhonors Member Breakfast confusion. I am unsure of what advertisement you read pertaining to the breakfast, however I would like to take care of your breakfast on your next visit. Diamond Members receive a complimentary continental style breakfast and 1000 Hhonors Bonus Points, Gold Members receive either the breakfast or the points, silver and blue do not receive these perks. We follow those rules which are dictated by the brand.

Please reach out directly to me upon your next visit, so I can personally ensure you receive your next breakfast with us "on us"!

Thank you again for the nice review.

Tom Molenda
A Proud Member of the DoubleTree by Hilton CARE Community.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We were able to book this hotel via Hotwire last-minute for a really good deal. But I'll base my review as if we had paid full price.

Room: Average.
Pros: I personally liked the wood floors vs. carpet. Comfortable bed, nice TV. Overall cleanliness was an 8/10.
Cons: Sink area is not private, there were paint spatters on the floor and pieces of the bedding. Minor tears in the wallpaper, room was not "crisply" finished. Not very soundproof.

Service: Hit-and-miss. There was a super nice front desk person when we arrived, then a totally standoffish one the next day. Cookies were a nice touch as we were traveling with a 4 year old.
Upon arriving back home, we realized we left something behind, although we searched the room from top to bottom before we left (if you have a child who brings lots of toys and books, you know how this goes). The situation was odd, and the front desk employee who assisted us over the phone actually laughed at us for some reason. Very unprofessional, and we have to foot the shipping bill.

Misc: Great pool area. No tub in our room (shower only), but it was not a handicap accessible room (not sure how the other rooms are configured). Close to a lot of good food options, and easy access to the highway. A mini-fridge would've been nice, but was "not available at the rate at which we booked our room." No option was given to "rent" one.

I would not pay full-price for this hotel, but would be tempted to snag it at the low rate that we were able to get.

Room Tip: We had room 340. View of the highway and slight view of the pool on the first floor. I'd be cu...
Hello Acemjm,

I would like to thank you for posting your review and for breaking it down in the manner in which you did. I also appreciated you providing the room number as most of the reviews we receive do not give us detailed information for us to accurately follow up unless we post a request for the review writer to call us to further explain.

I was glad to read the positives on the hotel, hard wood floor appreciation, comfortable beds, cleanliness, nice pool area, cookie at check in, nice greeting, good location with area attractions and the like.

I am concerned with the issues pertaining to the void of "crispness" associated with your guest room and the odd situation with service you experienced. I will investigate the state of the room in which you stayed in, and if I can ask if you can telephone me so I can try and determine whom you spoke to so I may further investigate that situation personally.

Thank you again for all the information you provided. We value the insight.

Proud to be a DoubleTree CARE Committee Member
Portsmouth, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I spent the better part of last week at the Doubletree Buffalo in Amherst, NY. I was there on business and although the temperatures were in single digits, I was amazed at how warm and freindly the staff was. Great service, clean rooms. They reset my Hilton Honors for me as well as provided me with shuttels to airport and restautrants.I especially want to thank and commend Krystal in Cappucino's for the great service, pleasant smile and friendly conversation, and Mary Beth at the front desk making sure all was well ( and getting me a free breakfast!). Thanks to all-I will be back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
TMolendaInnKeeper, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Buffalo - Amherst, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Hello Cronan,

Thank you for the nice review. I am pleased you were happy with our hotel product and services. We refer to Buffalo as the City of Good Neighbors. I have personally rewarded Krystal and Mary Beth for their mentioned levels of service and general acts of kindness. It was nice meeting you in the Cafe, and I am glad we were able to get your Hilton Hhonors account straightened out.

I look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Buffalo/Amherst.

Safe Travels,

Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 25, 2013

The customer service at this hotel is not Hilton quality. I picked this hotel and booked two rooms here because of Doubletree cookies. I was disappointed at the attitude of the woman working at the front desk. I didn't get her name and I wish I had. She acted annoyed that we were requesting some cookies in the morning as we were checking out. I've stayed at Hilton Doubletree In Orlando and they've never been stingy about their cookies. While she did give us the cookies, her attitude was not friendly. I wouldn't stay here again. I gave the hotel three stars because housekeeping was very friendly and the people over at the coffee shop/convenience store were okay.

B_Aliyyah,

Please allow me to begin with a heart felt apology. We work everyday at being at our best....everyday and simply put, we have failed to provide our best, based on the content of this review. I have had two recent reviews which have touched on indifferent service issues with this component of our service culture. I am working diligently at trying to determine those involved in these fractures in order to make our facility better through coach and counseling and better guest service training.

If I may trouble you to contact me directly so I can gather more information from you. I would also like to obtain an address so I can ship to you a canister of our wonderful cookies.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

tmolenda@harthotels.com
716.689.0015
A Proud Member of the DoubleTree by Hilton CARE Committee
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I believe it was called the Ink and hilton has given it a new life.
We were really pleasantly surprised, from the delicious welcome service, courteous staff and very clean room to the small lobby cafe. Hilton has left no stone unturned.
We will definitely be coming back...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hello Taxidiataltys,

Thank you for submitting your review. We are truly glad you appreciated our new look, clean rooms, and our levels of service. I also liked the title of your review.

Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to having you back soon.

Safe Travels,

Maple, Canada
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Booked this supposed DoubleTree for family on their bi-yearly visit to Amherst instead of the Marriott across the street based on the excellent location in the area and the Hilton branding. They had horrible experience with service, room and consistency.

1- HHonors Gold member was denied benefits! lied to by Front Desk that they "Only extend benefits to HH Diamonds at this time as we are new to the brand!" (!?)

2- Discovered yellow/brown stains on bed sheets. Asked Front Desk to get this changed ASAP. Room is serviced, however sheets are never changed! Another two calls before they do so. No apology whatsoever at all. Condescending, arrogant staff at Front Desk.

3- Noisy, old air con. Stained carpets and old furniture, all left overs of the Hotel Indigo it once was (or still feels like it is!)

4- The chef at the restaurant is an absolute idiot. Argues with guests, walks around with unkempt uniform and seems like he's generally always in a bad mood! Definitely the wrong line of work. Reading the older reviews of this property, I see this isn't the first time someone noticed this.

5- Sent email to the GM (Who seems very active responding to positive reviews here!) and the AGM giving them feedback and asking them to make their wrongs right, never heard a peep from either. I guess too bad for them, had a chance to make a bad situation good with a proper, timely response.

Thankfully Hilton Corporate is far more responsive and once contacted, stepped in and salvaged a very poor experience by making things right. I really hope they will bill this hotel for it!

The Marriott across the street is a far better choice. Even if you are a Hilton loyalist, this is definitely anything BUT a real DoubleTree. It's merely a conversion of a mediocre Hotel Indigo to a DoubleTree but in reality it shouldn't have even be considered for a Hamton Inn...

I'm willing to be this is probably the worst performing DoubleTree in the entire system, judging from what I heard from Hilton Corporate.

To sum it up:

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Buffalo - Amherst: Bad
Hilton Corporate Customer Relations: Excellent!

2 Thank Payam81
Hello Payam81,

Thank you for providing your feedback to us. I would like to apologize up front for what appears to be a very troubling stay for you and your family members.

I am going to contact Hilton to determine your contact information so I can reach out to you personally to discuss in detail each and every issue you had from your hotel stay to non reply's to emails.

I look forward to speaking with you soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This hotel is modern and always clean. Everyone who works here is extremely nice and very helpful. Thanks to the friendly people behind the desk, especially to Kristen, Mary Beth and Elizabeth for making my stay excellent every time!

Hi HB,

Thank you for your kind review. I appreciated your review title and am glad you shared your comments on consistency. I will personally follow up with those mentioned to congratulate them for there continued efforts in providing exceptional guest service. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, we will always strive for an even better tomorrow.

A Proud Member of the DoubleTree Community