“Great soup, but”

Brodo
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 6, 2014

My wife and I were seated at a small table only a foot, (literally), away from another table on our left.. No privacy for either party. Nearly impossible to reach my seat as the right side was a wall.

When asked about drinks my wife ordered a glass of wine. I enjoy a well made Manhattan prior to dinner. I asked the server if they had a particular brand of rye whiskey and, if so, I will have that cocktail. If not, the same wine as my companion. She returned with a Manhattan. It was LOUSY. When we received the check the whiskey brand listed was not that I had requested and that the server had confirmed. Now I realize why it had tasted as it did.

Their on line menu describes the meals so I will omit the details other than to note, a) the split pea soup with barley was excellent in taste. Very enjoyable. The mussels were outstanding. The "airline" chicken was dry. The salmon was tasty yet somewhat overcooked also.

The chocolate lava cake was, well, chocolate lava cake. The coffee was excellent.

Service. Our greeting was friendly and welcoming. The gentleman serving the bread ignored us. We had to ask for bread, served with garlic olive oil. The table's size would not allow bread bowl, olive oil bowl, mussels and bowl for shells, water and wine glasses together.

We had to wait and ask for water refills. No bread refills were offered. We had to wait for an extended period for us to order the coffee. No refills were offered. We had to wait and wait and wait to obtain the check and wait and wait to receive our receipt.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

The food is creative and the restaurant has something for everyone particularly with regard to their soups. Having been there twice now, once for lunch and once for dinner, I can say that service is a problem. The servers are slow to take orders, do not follow up or refill glasses and they forget frequently about their guests. Go only if you are patient and have plenty of time to spend!

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Went on a snowy weeknight early, only 1 other table occupied yet we ended up being there close to 90 minutes, waiter was nice but nervous and did not explain anything, made us slightly uncomfortable, and there was a poor flow the entire service, said we needed a quick minute to decide on a drink, he came back close to 15 minutes later, by then we ordered our appetizers and entrees as I saw where this was heading if we didn't order everything we would have been there 2 hours on a slow weeknight. Food was good but the vibe was just way off, sensed poor service all around at other tables too. This place has potential, but they gotta tighten up the service, took another 10-15 minutes for our waiter to run our card after receiving the check and we didn't have a drink to finish.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Very nice restaurant, great atmosphere. Second time here, enjoyed the food, but was disappointed that they were out of scallops from their main menu. Poor chef planning.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Haven't been to Brodo since I moved out of the area over 3 years ago. I went the other day with my aunt and had a wonderful lunch. Service was excellent and the food was great. My aunt had the flight of soup and loved them all. I had the tenderloin sandwich which was very tasty. I tend to rate restaurants on the consistency of their food and wether they treat me as if I am a visiting chef. On both scores they get high marks. It was as good as I remember.