“Construction Zone?”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Buffalo-Amherst
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Amherst
Reviewed June 1, 2009

When to the hotel on Business and took my 16 year old daughter with me. Would not recommend this hotel. It was nice to have free breakfasts and dinners. However when I pulled in I thought I was in a construction zone. There was about 20 Verizon construction trucks. I checked into my room and room was ok but I had dirty dishes, toilet paper in my toilet that was unflushed and my coffee table was sticky. The staff was nice but I was turned off by all the foul language that was being used from what I assumed was the Verizon workers that I had to bring my dinner upstairs because I did not want my daughter around them. All in all the stay was not good and my trip was ruined due to all the cursing.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
kalbone, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Buffalo-Amherst, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2009

Hello Travelmuch25 -
My name is Karen Albone and I am the General Manager of the Homewood Suites Amherst. I would like to apologize to you and your family for the issues which you experienced during your hotel stay. I encourage you to email me directly so that we may have the opportunity to speak in person.

Thank you for your time.

Karen Albone

There are newer reviews for Homewood Suites by Hilton Buffalo-Amherst

Reviewed April 9, 2009

My teenage daughter and I stayed here for several nights. We were fortunate to be able to use Hilton points, so I can't speak for the 'value', but our stay was most enjoyable! The hotel is located close to a freeway, so I asked for and received an inside room, which was very quiet. There was a complete kitchen with full refrigerator and coffee maker, which we ended up not needing thanks to the great full breakfast available each morning. Plenty of options here - juices & fruit, hot & cold cereals, toasted breads & muffins, and while not 'cooked to order', there were warmers with meat, egg dish and potatoes. The lounge/eating area has a lovely stone fireplace with wide screen TV and casual seating, with coffee and tea available all day. Regarding our suite itself, the sitting room readily accomodated the pull-out couch bed, water pressure in the shower was good, digital thermostat efficient. When I discovered I needed sheets to make up the couch-bed, housekeeping responded within an impressive three minutes (in spite of the fact that the hotel was full). The hot tub/pool/exercise rooms were all very well maintained. Location excellent for University of Buffalo North Campus, right on main suburban road leading to mall and restaurants, easy freeway access to airport, Niagara Falls sightseeing etc. Great location for our purposes, and a great stay overall.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank happytohelp1
Reviewed March 26, 2009

Stayed 2 nights (Two studio suites). The hotel is between two highways, and it is quite convenient to airport, Walden Galleria, and minutes to Blvd Mall.

Frankly speaking, the rooms were not as "roomy" as I originally expected - especially if you open the sofa bed - you may not have much room to walk.

Housekeeping (cleanliness) is an major issue. Upon entering the suites, we noticed remaining food/drinks from previous guests in the fridge. In my suite, dead bugs were found besides the window, and thick dust on the bathroom floor.

Swimming pool was nice, except the water was cold.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank biggroofy

Hello biggroofy 7,

I am the General Manager of the Homewood Suites Amherst and I would like to apologize to you and your family for the issues which you experienced while staying at our hotel. We take our guests comments very serious. I encourage you to contact me directly. Thank you for your time.

Karen Albone

Reviewed December 19, 2008

I made my reservations in August via the Homewood Suites website and obtained an excellent military rate for a room. Five months later and a week before check-in, I received a letter in the mail from the property stating that they would not be able to honor the military rate unless we were could provide official travel orders. This is highly irregular . The manager did offer a reduced rate as a courtesy, but it was still $50 higher than what my reservation was for. Terrible business practice!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Bflo_girl40
Reviewed October 29, 2008

This is an excellent hotel if you're ever in the Buffalo area. The hotel was extremely comfortable and clean. I felt like I was in an apartment with the full kitchen & living room. They have dinner every night, at no extra charge, & breakfast every morning. Coffee & tea are available 24 hrs. This was an overall very comfortable and relaxing experience at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 19, 2008

We stayed at the Homewood Suites over the Labour Day long weekend and had a very pleasant experience. The one bedroom suites are a nice size with a functional kitchen.

The breakfast service, while basic, had all of the essentials (pastries, eggs, juice, cereal, bagels, spreads), which made for a pleasant morning experience.

The pool was nice and was never crowded and the parking facilities were ample. The hotel was located relatively close to all major shopping sites and lent itself to a relaxing weekend.

Overall, the hotel is a nice, functional mid-tier hotel (i.e., it is not a five star facility). We would not hesitate to stay at the Homewood Suites in the future.

(We did run across the manager referenced in the other postings and while we did not find her rude, I can see how her abrasive edge might have troubled other visitors.)

• Stayed: September 2008
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed October 11, 2008

Homewood Suites are pretty much all the same, though this one is located at an intersection of two busy highways. We also experienced an "attitude" from front desk staff as well as management. Stay at the Marriott down the road for more pleasant, courteous service.

Stayed: May 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Hyatt Place Buffalo / Amherst
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Buffalo - Amherst
Staybridge Suites Buffalo-Amherst
Buffalo Marriott Niagara
Homewood Suites by Hilton Buffalo-Airport
Candlewood Suites Hotel Buffalo / Amherst

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Buffalo-Amherst? Share your experiences!