“Huge quantities of quality food served fast”

Red Pepper Chinese-Vietnamese
Ranked #7 of 144 Restaurants in Amherst
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Western New York
“Huge quantities of quality food served fast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

One of our favorite Chinese restaurants. The selection is far reaching, the servings are large, and the food comes out super fast. Meals that come in large bowls that easily serve two.

• Visited January 2014

Erie, Pennsylvania, United States
“Wonderful lunch treat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

My second time there. Loved the Spicy Soup. Fresh and full of flavors. The Vietnam menu items are simply wonder .
Looking forward to the next visit.

Lockport, New York
“Step above the ordinary Chinese (take-out)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

We recently got take-out from Red Pepper selecting the usual Chinese fare plus the Chicken Pho and a couple of Vietnamese fresh spring rolls. The usual American Chinese was above the norm, not mind-blowing but the best we have had in the area lately. The pork fried rice stood out and seemed to have more stuff in it than rice (compared to the usual 95/5 mix at most places) and it was all fresh.The Pho was outstanding, I will tell everyone that they need to try it.
The best way to sum up the food is that you can tell they cared when they were preparing it.
Another impression is that they aren't trying to be something they are not. They do things a little different than the other Chinese take-out places North of Buffalo and that is a good thing.
A little more pricey than the other places, but we will be back...soon.

• Visited November 2013
Buffalo, NY
“Great Food and Service, Ambiance Needs Work”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

The Red Pepper restaurant has some of the best Chinese food in the area. (I cannot vouch for the Vietnamese cuisine but think it must also be quite good.) Meals are plentiful and veggies are fresh and cooked to perfection. The menu is extensive and varied. Service is perhaps a little too quick, but that is far better than having to wait forever for a meal!

Having said that, I have given the restaurant only four stars because there is a distinct odor that one notices upon entering, decor is Chinese restaurant vanilla, and the place needs some scrubbing (spattery-looking stuff on the wall next to our table). It's getting a little run down, I think, and will soon need new carpeting and some sprucing up.

But . . . Will I return? Absolutely. I suppose that's the most important thing I can say about the restaurant.

• Visited October 2013
Amherst, New York
“Great General Tso's Chicken”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife and I ate at the Red Pepper for supper. The cuisine is Chinese and Vietnamese. I found it interesting that there are two separate menus, one for Chinese and one for Vietnamese. I had General Tso's Chicken with pork fried rice and hot-and-sour soup. My wife had Chicken Chow Mein with white rice. Both dishes were very good. I usually order General Tso's Chicken when I eat Chinese and this was as good as any I have ever had. The chicken chunks were very tender but crispy on the outside. Delicious! And the portions are very large. We took half the meal home as leftovers to have the next day. The Chow Mein was also good. The hot-and-sour soup was about the same as other places, but was tasty nonetheless. A nice touch is that tea is served as part of the meal, you don't have to order it extra. Service was very good. My wife and I have found a new favorite Chinese restaurant.

• Visited July 2013