“Good food, cold staff”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Have been to many Japanese restaurants on the East coast. Place was clean and had a nice look. We didn't want to wait for and go through the hibachi presentation, so ordered same meal from the menu and ate at a table. The food came out quickly and was very good. The shrimp were large, fresh, and delicious. The portions were generous, and the rest of the meal was fine, but nothing exceptional. Value was good.
Our biggest complaint was the staff. They seemed cold and uninterested in doing their job. Did not feel very welcome, almost felt as if we were bothering them. When we were ready to leave, after having paid the check by credit card and left on the the table, the waitress practically jumped over me to grab the check as I was exiting the booth! OMG, really?!

Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

Great food. I never thought I would like Japanese but after I went there I knew it was my favorite style food ever. If you're in Buffalo on a trip, or a nearby city, definitely pick a night to stop and eat there!

Reviewed June 22, 2012

This is a nice little diversion in Amherst. Our entire family enjoyed the hibachi show from the 10-year old, to the 56-year old. Our chef was particularly good with the children. I do wish they would turn off the television, however. We only get to visit with our family and the children were completely distracted by it when the chef wasn't preparing the food. It made it impossible for us to bond over the hibachi experience.

As far as the food, it was okay. Not bad, but not remarkable. I was a little surprised they made us choose between fried rice and noodles, however. Every Japanese steakhouse I've ever visited always offered both.

I'll probably try another restaurant when I return to the area, but I wouldn't mind going back here at some point either. It is a decent restaurant overall. It could just use some fine-tuning.

Reviewed May 3, 2012

My family and I are regular visitors of this restaurant. Always great food and a really good time. One of features we really enjoy is the ability to sit in a regular dining room, but still be able to eat the hibachi style food. This was great for my little one as the flaming volcano frightens her. Our only "complaint" would be that you can definitely taste a difference in the food from the kitchen vs the "Hibachi Show". It's still really good, but not quite the same.

Take the time to visit this restaurant!!

Reviewed April 30, 2012

We came from Canada and drove right to this restaurant (Just kidding that would be the intro if a family member wrote this). Actually we came from Canada to dress shop for our girls. After a deadly nightmare of 11hrs of shopping (Someone shoot me) we finally started to head home. I was hungry and put sushi restaurant into my GPS and less than 2mi. was Kyoto. Since we were doing take out and I had 3 cranky girls/women in the car I figured how bad could it be. It took about 15min. for the food to arrive (Luckily I wasn't the one waiting in the car). They were really accomodating with some bowls and chopsticks to eat with.

Well we cracked them open in the car. We ordered all rolls, Lobster, Shrimp tempura, soft shell crab and California rolls(that's the only one I know the name of because it was requested by one of the (cranky) I mean young women in the car.
What a nice surprise the food was very high caliber. The 2 not very hungry young women in the back seat (one being my daughter) could not down the sushi fast enough. It really was excellent even though car sushi (just pop it in your mouth) is not my favorite way to eat it.
The next time I'm in Amhurst (which I hope is not for a long time) I will eat in here. It looks like a fun place. They have the cooks cooking at your table.

This and Dave's in Buffalo would be my choices. Very different kinds of restaurants.
Enjoy!!