“A truly special place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chiredzi
Singita Pamushana Lodge
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed five days, four nights at Pamushana, and it was a magical experience. A very special place in a country still recovering from its economic turmoil.The assistant manager, Emily made our visit a trip of a lifetime. The resort has great food choices, and great wine selection. The staff is extremely courteous, friendly and professional. Our safari guide, Time made the the game viewing experience a truly memorable one with a black rhino chase, and elephant fights.

The topography of the area is varied, with beautiful lakes, cliffs, open plains. The resort owner has definitely made this a truly special place of his own, and Singita management does not fail to deliver, dare I say better than Aman resorts.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Siew C

Reviewed September 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Pamushana for the first 7 nights of the most amazing honeymoon one could ever wish for. Pamushana is quite simply breathtaking in every respect and a truly unique, personal and very very special experience. The accomadation is fantastic, decorated with the finest attention to detail across a vibrant zimbabwe / african theme. Our villa was uber comfortable, private and spacious with an indoor bathroom, second toilet, lounge and a massive bedroom that looked out onto our private decking / plunge pool and viewing platform to the landscape and animals beyond. Everything about Pamushana's accomadation and lodging is 5* but what makes it so special are the people there and their unrelenting desire to make your stay a lifetime memory. Everyday we were treated to little surprises and touches that made us go Wow (I won't give them all away) whilst everyday the food and wine (often paired for you) continued to impress. We ate in many different locations, all of which had their own intimate feel and all of which, made our honeymoon so special. We also had our own private waiter/butler throughout the week called Sifundo who was absolutely amazing. A very genuine lovely man who made our stay so special by taking so much care in every respect, nothing was too much trouble and every request was greeted with a kind smile.

As for the safari experience itself, we chose Pamushana as we wanted a more intimate game experience. Although we expected to have to work harder to see the animals (at the cost of potentially not seeing everything) when we did we knew it would be just us rather than a coalition of othe vehicles. Again, Pamushana did not dissapoint. For 80% of the game drives it was just my wife and I and our absolute gem of a guide - "Time". For the first three days, we tracked a host of animals through the most epic and diverse landscapes and although Time did everything humanly possible to facilitate sightings, Malilangwe's wildlife did not comply.

This was very much the calm before the storm.

The next four days gave rise to some of the most beautiful moments one can be lucky enough to enjoy. We felt extremely privilidged to spend a few hours with two sister cheetahs and then an afternoon closeup with a pride of lions. Being mock charged by an Inquisitive black rhino (and then again by another one) or indeed enoying watching 2 very small hyena pups suckle milk from their mum/babysitter were the potential top moments. That was atleast up until our second to last day whereby we witnessed the most spectacular nature event, we will ever see. After a ferrari safari to see a pack of wilddogs (10 pups / 7 adults) two hyenas decided to pitch up which was the start of a 2.5 hour battle - "The battle of Malilangwe" invoved 17 wilddogs, 6 hyenas and 18 elephants. With wilddogs, nipping and fighting (or potentially playing) with the hyenas, angry elephants came in and charged both packs multiple times. Over 2.5 hours , we were lucky enough to see, hear and certainly feel nature at it most raw. This 360 degree spectacle happened right next to us and at times we were close enough to touch the hyenas. When the curtain came down, we knew we had just got very very lucky and felt extremely privilidged to have seen the event. We also felt a great deal of gratitude to our guide Time, who became a real friend over the week and who went so far above his expected call of duty. A great man and a fantastic guide.

So in summary Pamushana is not an ordinary place and if you decide to visit, you will be taken to a magical kingdom with the most diverse landscape and wildife. By night you will be treated to a box of Pamushana tricks, fine wines and fine dining before retiring to the most comfortable of lodges. One word of warning, you will be very sad to leave and your future safari experiences may never be the same. Pamushana is not 5/5 it is 100/100.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gallivanter1
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My partner and I have been travelling to Southern Africa for over twenty years. We have been throughout South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Tanzania and Zimbabwe. We just returned from a week a Pamushana, our first trip to Zimbabwe since 1991.

First of all, politics. We had some concerns about "Mugabe Inc." and the mess that the political situation in Zim has become. A Singita staff member in Tanzania assured us that the trip to Pamushana would not be an issue. They were correct. We had no problem flying in or out, and met the loveliest people, all native Zimbabweans. This is a very remote area in the country, where this very small camp and the conservancy have a huge impact on so many lives. Don't let Mugabe keep you from visiting.

The camp is beautiful, and is run by a team of people that will go way beyond any expectations. The rooms are large and luxurious, but VERY African -- you don't forget you are in the bush. The food is consistently excellent and varied. The spa is amazing and so well run. And, the management team, lead by Jason and Emily will quite simply anticipate your every need. We had a lovely Bush Dinner one night and our ranger, James, was so knowledgeable and fun.

The game viewing was the best we have seen for years. We saw our first "Big 7" ever at Pamushana. This includes Lion, Leopard, Rhino (black and white), Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Wild Dog and Cheetah. Lions mating, lions and cheetah on kills, and we spent an entire day with a pack of Wild Dogs. Simply amazing. We saw 125 different birds and 36 mammal species. Quite an accomplishment for winter.

We found a week to be the perfect amount of time here. The topography is so varied and interesting that none of the 14 game drives was in any way repetitive. Beautiful lakes, a river habitat, cliffs, kopjes, forests and open plains.

Pamushana is a special place. Not inexpensive, but worth every penny.

6  Thank David A
Reviewed September 8, 2013

There are many ways to do an African safari. You can rough it; you can live it up in five star fashion; or you can find something between these two extremes. There is no doubt where Pamushana Lodge rests on the spectrum of the safari experience – it is a truly an ultra luxurious way to go.

We stayed at Pamushana for three nights in mid-August on the first leg of a three camp journey that also included a visit to two camps in Zambia (see my reviews on Puku Ridge and Kaingo). Stays here tend to be for 3 nights or 7 nights given the flight schedule (only two direct per week) from Jo’burg to Buffalo Range Airport, which is about a 45-minute drive from the Lodge. We were met by one of the guides, helped through customs (have patience!) and then driven in a van to the Lodge. We arrived to some welcome drinks and we were excited to get out onto our first game drive.

The Malilangwe Reserve contains an abundance of game. We saw many Lion, Elephant, Buffalo and Rhino (we saw the White Rhino as the Black Rhino proved too elusive on our visit but they are there). We spent one morning following around two Cheetah brothers. We also saw numerous Crocs and Hippos, and a great variety of birds. There are some amazing Baobab trips that are thousands of years old. What we didn’t see were other vehicles as the Reserve is private and I believe Pamushana is the only lodge in the entire property.

The Lodge itself is very comfortable. That might be an understatement, actually. There are two swimming pools in the main area along with a hot tub. The Lodge is perched high atop a hill, affording terrific views of the surrounding mountains and the lake below. There is also a spa and a very small gym. We didn’t use the spa but I did use the gym one day, which I needed to try to counteract the mountains of calories I was consuming (more on that later).

The rooms are beautiful. They are massive. You walk into a large living room with a desk, minibar, couches and chairs. There are two bathrooms. The bed is big and comfortable. There is a large walk-in closet behind the bed. Each room has its own plunge pool (I don’t think it’s quite warm enough in August to use, though). There is also wifi, which we (unfortunately) used a couple times to check back in with the office.

The food was very good. One thing that always stands out to us about Singita properties is the diversity of the menu. It changes from day to day and night to night, and pretty much without fail, the food is excellent. When that menu did change from one day to the next, though, I was disappointed to not see a certain item that I loved from the night before. No matter – they simply made it for me, and did again the next night. Pamushana is also great about varying up the dining locations. We didn’t eat in the same location on any of the nights.

Service was great. Mister T was our guide and was excellent. Emily was a great host and very knowledgeable about wine. We were celebrating an anniversary, and in typical Singita fashion they found a way to make it special. We returned back to our room one night after our drive and found a wrapped gift waiting for us, along with a flower-strewn floor leading to hot drawn bubble bath.

All in all this was a really great start to our trip. Zimbabwe is a country that has seen its ups and downs, and may not be at the top of everybody’s travel list. I do have to say that Pamushana definitely makes a visit more than worthwhile

1  Thank bullet78
Reviewed September 3, 2013

That was my third time in Singita and if I can, there will be certainly others.
There are care, good taste, attention and surprises in everything. We were 12 and all of us left smiling!
The staff is such a sweet experience. All top!
I strongly recommend that!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Eight of us stayed 4 nights at Pamushana and had a wonderful time. We left with a store of personal and group memories to be relished for a long time:

• varied and adrenaline-fuelled game drives with Time Mutema
• a dinner wherein each course was paired with blind-tasting of wines, organised by Emily Capon
• early mini-breakfasts at David Danana's bar before morning game drives
• indulgent full breakfasts; excellent lunches, teas and dinners
• Reuben, Cherub and the many others who delivered the best Singita experience during our 10 days spent among Mara River Tented Camp, Sabora Tented Camp and Pamushana Lodge
• Jason Turner, who despite being away during our stay, added to our special memories by making us multi-trillionaires!

The only downside to this review is that it may encourage more visitors: good for Jason and his deserving team, bad for those like me who can't keep secrets and - as a result - may have to join a queue in future.

Room Tip: Villa 5 is built on one level so those who have trouble negotiating steps will find it ideal. All o...
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I'm just coming to the end of a week long visit with my family to Singita Pamushana. Words and photographs cannot convey the magical atmosphere in the Malilangwe Reserve. You need as long as possible here to enjoy and understand the wilderness that surrounds the lodge. I can promise you that you will not be bored for one second - in fact, I wish I could stay for two weeks!

Singita Pamushana is for those of us who want to experience the real wilderness that is Africa. You need patience and respect for the natural surroundings. Animals here cover an amazing amount of terrain. You cannot expect to check off the "Big Five" in your first day here - you may be lucky - but rather you need to "experience" the whole adventure of tracking and finally sighting an animal in its natural environment.

We have been staying in Villa 6 which is a beautiful 3 bedroom building with spectacular views. I cannot fault the villa in any way.

The service here at Pamushana is unparalleled. All the staff are friendly and THE BEST in customer service. The food by chef Shane is nothing short of brilliant - and even more so given the difficulty of transporting fresh produce to this rural location. Our food has been better than most of the top London restaurants. The Singita Beef Wellington was a particular hit!

As I've mentioned, all the staff here are wonderful. Jason (GM) is the epitome of professionalism but with a wonderful ability to engage with his customers and make them feel right at home. cherub is an amazing spa therapist. I've had two massages with her and you should definitely not leave Pamushana without booking an appointment with her. I even had a pedicure - who thought you could have an OPI pedicure in the middle of rural Zimbabwe!! Brilliant!

I need to mention two people who have made our time here the most magical experience ever: firstly, Mister T - our guide for the week. This man is the greatest guide ever. Mister T is a walking encyclopedia about the surroundings. What occurs to me most about Mister T is that he has the greatest respect for the animals and their well being and everything else around him. Every day is a new adventure with Mister T! I cannot tell you how much we have enjoyed our game drives with him - I shall let you experience it yourself! My sons also went fishing with Mister T on two occasions and loved every second of it. We also enjoyed two evening cruises on the pontoon - not to be missed. The best way to enjoy Pamushana is to have an open mind and enjoy all on offer.

The other staff member I'm going to mention is an absolute LEGEND - Polly. I shall miss seeing his smiling face every day. Polly is the ultimate in customer service. If you owned a restaurant, this would be the man you'd want to hire. He is perfect. And a real gentleman as well!

So all in all, come and experience the beauty of Pamushana yourself. I loved my experience at Singita Boulders last year but this is the REAL Africa. It is with a heavy heart that I leave tomorrow. I shall return one day.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank luxuriousliving

Been to Singita Pamushana Lodge? Share your experiences!