“Wonderful Stay in Bulawayo”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Bulawayo
Arlington, Virginia
“Wonderful Stay in Bulawayo”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Bulawayo as part of a workshop and I can't say enough good things about the wonderful staff at this hotel! In trying to organize the logistics of the workshop from the United States beforehand, the conference center staff were wonderful and strived to make sure every detail was taken care of before our arrival. During the workshop, I felt as if I were a member of the Holiday Inn family with everyone from housekeeping to the front desk staff being warm and welcoming. If you are thinking about hosting a conference/workshop I would highly recommend the Holiday Inn. The conference center is run by two wonderful women (Florence and Blessing) and they will do everything possible to make sure your conference/workshop runs as smoothly as possible.
My only complaint is that the hotel is on the outskirts of Bulawayo so you need to get a taxi to get into town. As the previous reviewer stated, if you are staying at the Holiday Inn I would HIGHLY recommend hotel guests go to Piccola Roma (which is located in the Ascot Shopping Center) for dinner if you are looking for food other than what is found at the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
chiku M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bulawayo, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Warm greetings from Holiday Inn Bulawayo Team!

Thank you so much for your feedback. We are delighted that you came to workshop with us, and that you had a great experience during your stay, will make sure Florence and Blessing are aware of your kind comments.

We hope to have you back as a guest in the future.

Chiku Mulinde

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 20, 2013

When I saw photos of the Holiday Inn Bulawayo it looked average, if unexciting. What the photos can't show, however, is the excellence and attentiveness of the staff, which has been unparalleled.

We've been here for 2 weeks, running a workshop for 30 participants. Everyone we interacted with has been fantastic, anticipating our needs, and willing to accommodate requests for extra power strips, special beverages, and changing the timings of meals. Blessing and Florence in particular have been great -- extremely friendly and helpful. They also seem to work all the time!

The food is unspectacular, but adequate for buffet lunches and breakfasts to feed the whole group. The chef has asked us several times if we'd like any special meals, and has accommodated all of our requests with enthusiasm.

The customer service can be summed up with my experience this morning: The coffee machine that serves the conference room wasn't functioning properly; Florence told me the machine "wasn't feeling well." Because she didn't want me to go without my coffee, she brought me over to the adjoining on-site coffee shop, where they prepared a special cafe mocha for me with the face of a panda! (Photo attached).

In sum, the setting is unspectacular, but the service can't be beat. I highly recommend the Holiday Inn Bulawayo. Oh, and while you're in town, be sure to visit the Italian restaurant Piccola Roma in the strip mall next door. It's great!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank travelingonceagain
chiku M, Manager at Holiday Inn Bulawayo, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear valued guest

Warm greetings from Holiday Inn Bulawayo Team

Thank you for your recent post on TripAdvisor regarding your experience at Holiday Inn Bulawayo.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us!! Your comments regarding the extremely friendly and helpful staff are greatly appreciated. Encouraging compliments from guests like you inspire and help us build the Great Hotel that Guest Love.

Thank you for your wonderful comments and we look forward to your return.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 1 night on business. The exterior of the hotel is deceiving as it looks old. Inside the hotel is clean and seems to be newly renovated. The rooms are modern and comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful at all times. Wifi signal is very good especially considering that it is complimentary from the hotel.

Will definitely stay there again for business.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TSH010GP
chiku M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Bulawayo, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear guest,

Warm greetings from the Holiday Inn Bulawayo Heart branded Team,

Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your candid feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for.

We appreciate the honour of hosting you every time you are Bulawayo on business. Thank you for your wonderful comments and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I had an overnight stop at Holiday Inn Bulawayo on business during the busiest time of the year, the Zimbabwe International Trade Fair. I was booked into one of the recently refurbished rooms which look quite nice and fresh. The partial refurbishment however has not given a full makeover which reminds guests of the rather staid old look through Zimbabwe's economic crisis. The breakfast is still great and so is the service.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Agrippa M
Grace G, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Bulawayo, responded to this review, yesterday
Good day,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Holiday Inn BULAWAYO. Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. We use feedback, such as yours, to continuously make changes to our brand to improve the guest experience. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

harare
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I found myself at the Holiday Inn one late night due to work engagements in Bulawayo. The frontline staff were very cordial and even offered a discount. The rooms are spacious with 2 queen size beds and a variety of pillows to choose from. Complimentary WiFi of 100MB. However the room service could improve as i once came back from work and found the bathroom floor still wet (there are no shower cubicles, so the water drips through the tub/shower curtain).

And stay away from the Arizona Spur restaurant as the service is deplorable as it took me an hour to served dinner, i asked for the manager but he still came after 20 minutes.

The Pumulani restaurant has a frugal buffet and the salt shakers was greased.

But overally a very good hotel as long as you stay away from its restaurants!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank richmanHarare

Rishon Le Zion, HaMerkaz, Israel
Reviewed April 12, 2013

During my last travel I found myself in Bulawayo Zimbabwe.
I was looking for a place to stay overnight and I was happy to find Hotel that I know.
The standards of Holiday Inn is well known and in this case, I didn’t take any risk of choosing the HI Bulawayo to stay overnight.
The welcome was warm and friendly. Great welcome by the front desk people.
The room was great. 2 Wide beds, working table, TV, Air-condition and most important VERY clean!
Breakfast was rich with wide variety of choices. Really recommended!!!

There is one issue that I didn’t like and this is the reason why I am not giving to this experience the full top mark and it’s the A/C system. It’s an old window system that made a lot of noise and when it was turned off, cold wing get into the room from it. I was expecting that hotel like HI will maintain his rooms in a better way. After all it was not critical but…

Bottom line – I will get back to this hotel next time I visit BYO (and I am going to do it very often now).

Hotel is recomanded!

Room Tip: Pay attention to the A/C noise. Its not so critical but might be an issue in some rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Rafael K

Harare
Reviewed March 28, 2013

located in Ascot in bulawayo.. the hotel is quite good. its been recently renovated to meet the international standards.

its a place to be when you are matebeleland... you can drive to matobo national park and come back for a fruitiful rest.

its good

i like it.

Room Tip: good view from the eastern side
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business